• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Which way do you mean that? "Christ. Don't make such a big deal out of that." or "Christ. What an asshole for saying that."

Maybe she just meant it: "Jesus, etc."

Which way do you mean that? "Christ. Don't make such a big deal out of that." or "Christ. What an asshole for saying that."

No it was "Christ for President" :lol

I know Flick, and it was the latter.

I read this Newsweek article about a conspiracy about McCain lying about POWs still alive in Vietnam. He hushed it up in the 90's during some hearings or some shit. I looked around for other info...couldn't find much. Anyone? BTW, Ross Perot is the current whistleblower.

I was away from a TV all weekend. I only saw random clips of the HRC concession speech and a few talking heads giving their approval.

What did people here think? A good speech? Convincing? Is unity possible? Other than MrRain, I dont think anyone weighed in. Lots of people here were very vocal about her need to get out, and to do so appropriately. Were you satisfied?

I was away from a TV all weekend. I only saw random clips of the HRC concession speech and a few talking heads giving their approval.

What did people here think? A good speech? Convincing? Is unity possible? Other than MrRain, I dont think anyone weighed in. Lots of people here were very vocal about her need to get out, and to do so appropriately. Were you satisfied?

I thought she could have been a bit more conciliatory, but all in all she did fine. Even though Barack is now the figurehead of the party HRC still holds the key to his success imo. If she gets out there and works hard for Barack (and doesn't appear to just be going through the motions) Obama will stomp on the terra this fall.

I thought she was self-campaigning the whole time, but I understand what she had to do, I suppose. I was satisfied enough. Unity will be possible, as soon as the Democrats realize that shit needs to get put together or else we lose and get a 6-3 or 7-2 conservative-leaning Supreme Court, which basically kills the Dems on all social issues.

He's already got the "terrorist fist jab" down! :lol

The coverage of the "fist-bump" is horrific. I can't even believe that this is an issue. These people are so dumb.

Obama's going to be making his case to young evangelicals soon. He's launching a project called Joshua Generaiton:

"The Joshua Generation project will be the Obama campaign's outreach to young people of faith. There's unprecedented energy and excitement for Obama among young evangelicals and Catholics. The Joshua Generation project will tap into that excitement and provide young people of faith opportunities to stand up for their values and move the campaign forward."

I think he'll fare well with young evangelicals and ones with decent minds/non-racist. McCain doesn't have much there though, he's willing to sell out. Obama also is going to have a staff dedicated to dispelling internet rumors. I still hear once a week someone say something about Obama being a muslim, swearing in on a Qu'ran, etc. Hopefully, they'll be effective at that.

Also, what's the deal with John McCain's war on beer. I can't watch that video at work. Isn't his wife a beer heiress?

Also, what's the deal with John McCain's war on beer. I can't watch that video at work. Isn't his wife a beer heiress?

It was just a slip of the tongue (albeit a funny one) where he meant to say "bill with earmarks" and combined the "b" of bill with the "ear" of earmarks to say "veto any 'beer' (or is it b-ear?)."

I think he'll fare well with young evangelicals and ones with decent minds/non-racist.

actually i don't think that those "evangelicals" with "decent minds" would actually consider voting for Obama. if so, i don't think they take their evangelical status that seriously. evangelicals are largely social conservatives, something barack definately is not.

since i guess i would be considered an evangelical myself (although i don't use that label) i think that those votes would either go to mccain or else stay at home on election day. barack thinking he can sway many of those votes is laughable.

and i don't personally know any racist evangelicals. way to slip that in there.

"The Joshua Generation project will be the Obama campaign's outreach to young people of faith. There's unprecedented energy and excitement for Obama among young evangelicals and Catholics. The Joshua Generation project will tap into that excitement and provide young people of faith opportunities to stand up for their values and move the campaign forward."

:rotfl

actually i don't think that those "evangelicals" with "decent minds" would actually consider voting for Obama. if so, i don't think they take their evangelical status that seriously. evangelicals are largely social conservatives, something barack definately is not.

since i guess i would be considered an evangelical myself (although i don't use that label) i think that those votes would either go to mccain or else stay at home on election day. barack thinking he can sway many of those votes is laughable.

:rotfl

Young, self-identified evangelicals today are in some ways more liberal than their predecessors. This has something to do with a loose movement often described as the emergent church. While emergents may still be socially conservative, they generally place less emphasis on social conservatism vis a vis other issues than more traditional evangelicals do.

Polls have shown that young Christians aren't any less concerned about the "family values" issues that have traditionally driven Christians to the Republican camp. (In fact, a study by the Barna Group, an evangelical polling organization, shows young Christians are actually more conservative on abortion than their elders.) It's just that they're also concerned about issues such as social justice and immigration, issues traditionally associated with Democrats.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...angvote11m.html

I've been surprised that a lot of kids I knew as conservative evangelicals in high school (and I knew a lot of them, as I grew up in Wheaton, IL--one of the centers of evangelicalism) have become politically moderate of even liberal since then.

Guest Jules

So, apparently Obama found time to play Medinah #3 a few days ago. He took an 8 on #2 and apparently isn't very good. Thought you would like to know.

Young, self-identified evangelicals today are in some ways more liberal than their predecessors. This has something to do with a loose movement often described as the emergent church. While emergents may still be socially conservative, they generally place less emphasis on social conservatism vis a vis other issues than more traditional evangelicals do.

well, if that is the case, then they aren't really evangelicals.

Evangelical: Of, relating to, or being a Christian church believing in the sole authority and inerrancy of the Bible, in salvation only through regeneration, and in a spiritually transformed personal life. (from Dictionary.com)

The Bible never changes. People do. You can't claim to live by the sole authority of the Word and endorse a set of values that runs counter to it.

You might not call them evangelicals, but they still may consider themselves to be. It's really irrelevant though -- Obama is going to "market" towards them with messages that his campaign feels will resonate to them.

You can't claim to live by the sole authority of the Word and endorse a set of values that runs counter to it.

I agree. That's why I'm strictly anti-war, etc. It's not as if either political party has very biblical values. You're not going to find a candidate who bases his or her policies on the sermon on the mount.

You might not call them evangelicals, but they still may consider themselves to be. It's really irrelevant though -- Obama is going to "market" towards them with messages that his campaign feels will resonate to them.

salesmen/politicians, it's all the same. i don't care how great the advertising, i ain't buying it.

I agree. That's why I'm strictly anti-war, etc. It's not as if either political party has very biblical values. You're not going to find a candidate who bases his or her policies on the sermon on the mount.

exactly right.

however, with politics you have to sift through all the crap and come out with something that at least resembles something you can live with. barack is way out there in that regard imo. mccain still makes me nauseous, but what choice is there?

Guest Cousin Tupelo

Evangelical: Of, relating to, or being a Christian church believing in the sole authority and inerrancy of the Bible, in salvation only through regeneration, and in a spiritually transformed personal life. (from Dictionary.com)

The Bible never changes. People do. You can't claim to live by the sole authority of the Word and endorse a set of values that runs counter to it.

Evangelical holds a connotation not just to belief, but to spreading the gospel.

I have never quite understood that, what should be a bedrock value among the Christian church -- helping the poor, widows and orphans, the oppressed -- probably ranks the least in priorities. Cut social programs, but legislate morals.

They will call themselves what they will, but isn't it a scripture not to say "Lord, Lord" with your lips if you don't mean it in your heart?

Not that I'm casting judgment mind you ... <cue thunder clap>

Guest Cousin Tupelo

11 a.m. Sundays is the most segregated hour in America.

Obama sounds like Robin Hood with his tax plans. This will be a friggin mess.

I hate to say it, but I agree. Imposing a moral judgment on whether certain companies are making too much money, and then taxing their windfalls, is a slippery slope.

Evangelical holds a connotation not just to belief, but to spreading the gospel.

I have never quite understood that, what should be a bedrock value among the Christian church -- helping the poor, widows and orphans, the oppressed -- probably ranks the least in priorities. Cut social programs, but legislate morals.

They will call themselves what they will, but isn't it a scripture not to say "Lord, Lord" with your lips if you don't mean it in your heart?

Not that I'm casting judgment mind you ...

if you look into it, you will see that the evangelical churches are making huge strides worldwide to combat human trafficking, AIDS in Africa, bringing clean water wells to India, etc. It's not just about spreading the Word, it's about doing something to help our fellow man. My church in particular is hands on doing these very things. It's sad that blowhards like Falwell and Robertson have sullied the reputation of the Church. Evangelicals are aware of this perception and are trying to do something about it. Churches have gotten a bad rap over the years because of these egomaniacs. It shouldn't be the goal to influence politics, but rather to take care of the needs of those less fortunate locally and abroad and live by example.

11 a.m. Sundays is the most segregated hour in America.

i'm really sorry you feel that way. that's certainly not what i see every Sunday.