Jeff threatened a dude in the crowd ("I'll get you after the show" sic, or something similar). Also told the crowd it was the "worst tour of our lives," sic, and bemoaned Englanders as snotty, etc.

Good times.

He also berates them for having no rhythm, saying something about England being homeland of white people, or something like that

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also berates them for having no rhythm, saying something about England being homeland of white people, or something like that

"This is where white people come from."

I listened to again it on the way to work a little while ago. It was the last night of a tour that was kind of difficult, I suppose. It's actually a decent version regardless of the taunting of the audience.

I like those older versions where they kick it into high gear towards the end of the tune in double-/triple-time and JT's screaming.

the wilco fanbase needs to get together and get this down, but the band is gonna need to start playing a lot more king pin. The woos in dmb's warehouse might be the coolest concert thing going on now wilco fans need something like that

That's funny that you mention the Warehouse (and Joyride) part as one the coolest concert things going on .... from what I've seen on the Dave boards I assume most of those fans hate the WOO(s).

I would agree though, being a big Dave fan and a big Wilco fan that I would not like to see Wilco's shows become anything like a DMB show. But I suppose that works both ways.

But more than anything else, I would not like to see Wilco's fans become like Dave's fans. If you find yourself believing you would make better decisions for Wilco than Jeff .... than you are starting to see the symptoms. I guess that goes for all bands eventually.

This is off-topic but My Morning Jacket's fans have thrown them under the bus in their forums for Evil Urges. And that album is every bit as brilliant as any of theirs in the past.

I need to make something clear now, I just got back from my first dmb show and all i can say is :ohwell . Ive been a big fan over the last few years, and over the last couple months my fandom has been growing. I went to my first show in hartford, maybe its just bad luck, but i take back anything bout crowds warehouse woos everything. On the cds (and from what ive heard) the dmb crowds are amazing and full of energy, not from what ive seen. Basically a dmb show is the band playing their hearts out and giving a great performence, while the crowd texts and pounds beers. Imagine every cliche frat boy and put em in a field, but the kicker is most of them seem to be 16yo kids out borrowing dad's car. Nobody sang along, nobody seemed to care, I still love the band, but the fans are horrifyingly bad. Warehouse is still a great tune, and if wilco had a fan involved song it would be a neat thing, but thats as far as ill take that.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
But more than anything else, I would not like to see Wilco's fans become like Dave's fans. If you find yourself believing you would make better decisions for Wilco than Jeff .... than you are starting to see the symptoms. I guess that goes for all bands eventually.

You see, though, that's something I've been wondering about for a while. In most of the concerts I've heard with Kingpin, JT is egging the crowd on -- at the Residency show, he even praises the hometown audience for knowing what to do and when to do it, saying something to the effect that this is why they stopped playing it on the road.

In listening to both Wilco and JT solo concerts he seems to be fire and ice -- playing off rowdy and often inappropriate audience response, and other times being pissed and slapping it down.

The woo-hoo-hoo!, screams, yelling out songs like they're going to drop the playlist and start taking requests off the cuff, it would piss me off and it bothers the hell out of me. But when is it cool and when is it not. JT has gone both ways (koff!).

You see, though, that's something I've been wondering about for a while. In most of the concerts I've heard with Kingpin, JT is egging the crowd on -- at the Residency show, he even praises the hometown audience for knowing what to do and when to do it, saying something to the effect that this is why they stopped playing it on the road.

In listening to both Wilco and JT solo concerts he seems to be fire and ice -- playing off rowdy and often inappropriate audience response, and other times being pissed and slapping it down.

I

"the wilco fanbase needs to get together and get this down, but the band is gonna need to start playing a lot more king pin. The woos in dmb's warehouse might be the coolest concert thing going on now wilco fans need something like that "

again I agree 1) I dont want wilco fans to start resembling DMB fans

2) there is no way tha anything dmb fans do is the coolest concert thing going on

fan interaction has always been a part of what makes a band special and what separates hard core fans from the casual ones

Phish did a thousand things like this and is part of what made them such a huge cult following. In fact, I can't think of a band that does this anywhere near as much as they did.

Phish did a thousand things like this and is part of what made them such a huge cult following. In fact, I can't think of a band that does this anywhere near as much as they did.

You should get a trophy for that point :thumbup

I do the "wooo!" and hand claps when I'm at home or in the truck even if someone is around. I'm a big dork though, and most anyone around me already expects such dorkiness of me. "Woooooo!!!" :dancing

no serious, good point. I dont deal with sarcasm on the internet, it only ends with problems

Yes, one could certainly feel like an outsider at a Phish show if not familiar with all the interactive/audience participation stuff that became incorporated into their shows over the years. Pretty cool, in my book.

Is this the taping where Jeff mentions you by name?

No, that's from the show where Tweedy sort of got into it with what he felt was an unresponsive British audience. In response to one of your earlier posts, I also scream along with my Kingpin bootlegs, and then feel quite self-conscious about it.

--Mike