What were these girls thinking in this day and age.

The schools provide health education (presumably with the support and/or participation of the health clinic), not free rubbers.

This has been wholly untrue in every district in which I've taught (the "with support and/or participation" part). Health Education, in my experience and from what I've seen, fails our students miserably. I don't believe schools should provide birth control, but I do believe students should leave the public school system with an understanding of the fertility cycle, ovulation, etc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been wholly untrue in every district in which I've taught (the "with support and/or participation" part). Health Education, in my experience and from what I've seen, fails our students miserably. I don't believe schools should provide birth control, but I do believe students should leave the public school system with an understanding of the fertility cycle, ovulation, etc.

I should have said "it is the school's responsibility to provide health education," and if what you have experienced is the case here, then yes, the school has failed in its responsibility to the students.

And even more disturbing: Some of the girls may have made a pact to have babies and raise them together.

Funny, if those girls were a few years older, people would think this idea was kind of sweet. (really stretching to find a silver lining here) :lol

I was traveling with my family this weekend and we drove through a town in our state that is going through some very rough times, economically. And my wife and I were astounded, sitting at a stoplight and watching 3 or 4 girls who couldn't have been more than 15 pushing strollers across the street. I don't know how they do it. I mean, my wife and I have a rather large family at a young age (4 kids and we're in our early 30s) and we are both well educated and employed and, even so, we constantly feel like we're struggling to keep our heads above water. The cost of living in this country has skyrocketed, in general, and I saw these girls and looked around and just thought, wow--I mean, they're still kids themselves, no education, living in a town where jobs are scarce, and now you have this little tiny person to provide for, as well. I can't imagine the weight of that responsibility.

Funny, if those girls were a few years older, people would think this idea was kind of sweet. (really stretching to find a silver lining here) :lol

I was traveling with my family this weekend and we drove through a town in our state that is going through some very rough times, economically. And my wife and I were astounded, sitting at a stoplight and watching 3 or 4 girls who couldn't have been more than 15 pushing strollers across the street. I don't know how they do it.

I think they call their coping method something like "welfare." But I could be wrong.

I was traveling with my family this weekend and we drove through a town in our state that is going through some very rough times, economically. And my wife and I were astounded, sitting at a stoplight and watching 3 or 4 girls who couldn't have been more than 15 pushing strollers across the street. I don't know how they do it. I mean, my wife and I have a rather large family at a young age (4 kids and we're in our early 30s) and we are both well educated and employed and, even so, we constantly feel like we're struggling to keep our heads above water. The cost of living in this country has skyrocketed, in general, and I saw these girls and looked around and just thought, wow--I mean, they're still kids themselves, no education, living in a town where jobs are scarce, and now you have this little tiny person to provide for, as well. I can't imagine the weight of that responsibility.

Wow it sounds like you drove right through our town. Any given moment of the day if it is nice out you will see girl after girl pushing strollers downtown. I just worry about the babies, will they be raised to be a good person or will their parents raise them to continue the cycle of teen pregnancy, quitting school and being a menace to society. The sad part is there are no jobs so these girls have to go on welfare, so it will be like we are helping to raise them with no say in how they will come out.

Wow it sounds like you drove right through our town. Any given moment of the day if it is nice out you will see girl after girl pushing strollers downtown.

Well, on the bright side, if they are out and about pushing the strollers around, maybe it means they are at least taking an active role as parents. Whereas the teen moms I knew when I was that age tended to go one of two ways--a few worked their butts off to make a life for themselves, but the majority handed the kid off to their parents/grandparents and carried on as if they were still just another teenager with no responsibilities.

Well, on the bright side, if they are out and about pushing the strollers around, maybe it means they are at least taking an active role as parents. Whereas the teen moms I knew when I was that age tended to go one of two ways--a few worked their butts off to make a life for themselves, but the majority handed the kid off to their parents/grandparents and carried on as if they were still just another teenager with no responsibilities.

Which town? It'll be kind of sad (and it'll get sadder) if I know a. what town it is and b. if I actually know some of the people in the town and c. if I know someone there who already has a kid... :mellow

Which town? It'll be kind of sad (and it'll get sadder) if I know a. what town it is and b. if I actually know some of the people in the town and c. if I know someone there who already has a kid... :mellow

Glouster, MA I believe? Beautiful town on the northern coast!

I was driving back home to Central MA tonight, er this morning, from Boston and when I turned onto one of my on-ramps there was a sign for "Gloucester". I just shook my head :no

I used to have such fond memories of this fisherman's town...*sigh*

Ain't just Gloucester.

Pa. school district plagued with STDs

One confirmed case of HIV

By Stephen Sacco

Times Herald-Record

June 27, 2008 6:00 AM

MILFORD, Pa.

Though I do agree it should be encouraged, abstinence, as a practice, has approximately 3 billion plus years of evolution working against its favor. It should be one part of a much broader, more practical, more realistic sex education.

Though I do agree it should be encouraged, abstinence, as a practice, has approximately 3 billion plus years of evolution working against its favor. It should be one part of a much broader, more practical, more realistic sex education.

For some reason, a lot of grownups can't accept that teenagers want to have sex.

I've wanted to have sex since I was 12. True.

Me too! It all started when I saw Playboy pictorial of an alien chick with big boobs kidnapping a hippie dude and mating with him. (Based on a true story.)

For some reason, a lot of grownups can't accept that teenagers want to have sex.

Exactly, what happens to us as we age - why is it that we seem to lose all recollection of our teen years? I think it

Me too! It all started when I saw Playboy pictorial of an alien chick with big boobs kidnapping a hippie dude and mating with him. (Based on a true story.)

:lol

Which part, the alien chick kidnapping the hippie dude and mating with him, or you viewing the issue of Playboy in which this pictorial was featured? And, I have a vague recollection of that issue, it may have been part of my dad

You’ll notice no mention of basic human biology or the human sexual reproductive drive is made. As if the desire to have sex is not hardwired into our circuitry, and only results from learned behavior and peer pressure. Which is not to say peer pressure and cultural cues play no part, but they take a back seat to biology.

Abstinence is difficult in large part, because with the onset of puberty, comes the impulse to procreate, pass on genes, or whatever you prefer to call it. Add to that the lack of impulse control in teens and, well, is it any wonder why teens have sex?

Heh. I was going to post a similar statement, but you guys beat me to the punch. It never ceases to amaze me when people are shocked by the idea that teenagers want to (and do) have sex.

You hit a good point about the abstinence-only ed omitting that these impulses are naturally-occurring. Peer pressure and cultural cues play an "aiding and abetting" role, but the fundamental drive is hardwired in us. It just is.

:lol

Which part, the alien chick kidnapping the hippie dude and mating with him, or you viewing the issue of Playboy in which this pictorial was featured? And, I have a vague recollection of that issue, it may have been part of my dad