"Let It Be" the movie...

Its a bit slow around here today, so here is an article in the Trib about "Let It Be". I guess we will have to wait longer to re-view this not so great piece of cinematic history.

LouieB

It's time for 'Let It Be' to be told

July 27, 2008

Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" may be the poster child for long-delayed projects, but some of us have been waiting even longer for something else:

A decent home-video version of the Beatles' "Let It Be."

Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 1970 documentary hasn't been in video circulation since low-quality VHS and Laserdisc versions were available in the mid-1980s. It has yet to be released on DVD. Logic would have had it come out alongside the 2003 release of "Let It Be

Dammit! I've only ever seen a small, pixelated, version that I downloaded when I was 16. I don't care if The Beatles are on their last legs, if there was one band I could back in time and watch in the studio, it'd be them... and this is as close as I can get. :(

Its a documentary, its been seen, and everyone more or less has herd about the worst details contained in the film. This stuff is history, Paul needs to get over the embarrassment (or whoever is preventing the release and let it go). Its almost childish.

Having seen it, the best scene is the concert on the roof. All the rest is pretty fucking dull actually.

LouieB

I'd agree but there is no reason people shouldn't be able to view it.

I haven't checked recently, but not long ago I watched the whole thing on youtube. Take a look, it might still be up.

I think there are some nice studio performances in it, like "Two Of Us," in particular.

I have this on DVD but I'm pretty sure it's transfered from Laser Disc. It's not much as far as documentary films go, but the music segments make it a worthwhile trip.

All the rest is pretty fucking dull actually.

Couldn't disagree more strongly. Every minute that the 4 of them are on the screen -- warts and all -- is enthralling to me. We don't have that much video footage of them in a setting like that. Every ounce I can get is worth it to me.

I bought a copy on EBay last year. It's good. I actually like the film. For some reason it's always more interesting when there's a lot of tension in the band...

I have a digital version as well as, a VHS copy that I got in the early 1990s. It is out there to be had - no reason to pay money for such a thing.

I have a copy that I dubbed from a VHS tape in the mid 1980s. I just remember Billy Preston being like a ray of sunshine.

Maybe McCartney has cause to want to keep this under wraps. This movie, and his handling of the breakup really turned me off on him.

Another Beatles-oriented tape that I would love to see rereleased is the Compleat Beatles, a mid-80s, 90-minute documentary that makes a great companion piece to "All You Need is Cash."

I have a copy that I dubbed from a VHS tape in the mid 1980s. I just remember Billy Preston being like a ray of sunshine.

Maybe McCartney has cause to want to keep this under wraps. This movie, and his handling of the breakup really turned me off on him.

Another Beatles-oriented tape that I would love to see rereleased is the Compleat Beatles, a mid-80s, 90-minute documentary that makes a great companion piece to "All You Need is Cash."

Narrated by Malcolm McDowell (1984)

You are right - it can be bought on VHS, but not DVD. I have seen it out there - a lot of old video stuff gets digitized by fans, of course.

My uncle had a video copy of The Compleat Beatles and i watched it a couple of times. From what I remember, this was actually a reworking of a rough draft documentary that Apple was putting together called All You Need Is Love. Neil Aspinall was trying to put together a comprehensive documentary about the beatles but eventually abandoned it for one reason or another. Neil eventually took the basis of this idea more forward with the anthology series. So essentially the Compleat Beatles was supposed to be the Anthology but many years earlier. It is still interesting to watch though.

I dubbed The Compleat Beatles off the TV onto VHS many a year ago. A fascinating doc imo.

We've discussed this before here, but "It Was Twenty Years Ago Today" is one of the best docs on Sgt. Pepper, 1967, and the '60s counterculture as a whole that I've ever seen. Really a must see.