Wilco and atheism

Disappointed that '07 was apparently a one-off year for brilliant original American films, I watched There Will Be Blood again for the first time since spring. Seeing this discussion again - in which we atheists quite plainly bested our opponents - reminded me of the wonderful, and wonderfully misanthropic, endgame involving Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday.

Sunday: Daniel, I'm asking if you'd like to have business with the Church of the Third Revelation in developing this lease on young Bandy's thousand-acre tract. I'm offering you a chance to drill on one of the great undeveloped fields of Little Boston!

Plainview: I'd be happy to work with you.

Sunday: You would? Yes, yes, of course. Wonderful.

Plainview: But there is one condition for this work.

Sunday: All right.

Plainview: I'd like you to tell me that you are a false prophet. I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.

Sunday: But that's a lie. It's a lie, I cannot say it.

When can we begin to drill?

Plainview: Right away.

Sunday: How long will it take to bring in the well?

Plainview: Should be very quick.

Sunday: I would like a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus plus the five that is owed with interest.

Plainview: That's only fair.

Sunday: I am a false prophet and God is a superstition. If that's what you believe, then I will say it.

Plainview: Say it like you mean it.

Sunday: Daniel...

Plainview: Say it like it's your sermon.

Sunday: This is foolish.

I am a false prophet! God is a superstition! I am a false prophet! God is a superstition! I am a false prophet! God is a superstition!

Is that fine?

Plainview: Those areas have been drilled.

Sunday: What?

Plainview: Those areas have been drilled.

Sunday: No, they haven't...

Plainview: It's called drainage. I own everything around it... so I get everything underneath it.

Sunday: But there are no derricks there. This is the Bandy tract. Do you understand?

Plainview: Do you? I drink your water, Eli. I drink it up. Everyday. I drink the blood of lamb from Bandy's tract.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You REALLLY don't like my sigs, do you?

Is it the pic? Because I could lose the pic...if I wanted to. But it's kinda cool..."Ultima Ratio Regum"...the Last Arguement of kings...engraved on the Canons of Louis the XIV.

I was thinking about removing it...but if I can't piss you off, what good am I?

EDIT: Ok Gary...I removed the pic.

I remember the last time we had a dustup over my sigs...I left the board for about 8 months. I like it here...I don't want to go apeshit psycho and quit again.

:lol

vemo512.gif

Sorry, it doesn't piss me off. I suspect you've had it that way for a long time and it's the first I noticed. I'm just busting your balls and taking up space in this thread's death throes.

Disappointed that '07 was apparently a one-off year for brilliant original American films, I watched There Will Be Blood again for the first time since spring. Seeing this discussion again - in which we atheists quite plainly bested our opponents - reminded me of the wonderful, and wonderfully misanthropic, endgame involving Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday.

So you're saying that atheists such as yourself are

megalomaniac charlatan sociopaths who beat megalomaniac charlatan sociopaths' brains to a grey and bloody pulp with a bowling pin?

I can get with that.

So you're saying that atheists such as yourself are

megalomaniac charlatan sociopaths who beat megalomaniac charlatan sociopaths' brains to a grey and bloody pulp with a bowling pin?

I can get with that.

SPOILER ALERT!

I fixed it with my secret mod super powers.

not before i read it and of course, have not seen the movie yet so i ran in the bathroom at work, downed some tequila and did a bunch of one hits in the hopes that i forget this morning.

i'll let you know tomorrow if my plan worked.

Curtis: Well, the Sister was right. You boys could use a little churching up. Slide on down to the Triple Rock, and catch Rev. Cleophus. You boys listen to what he's got to say.

Jake: Curtis, I don't want to listen to no jive-ass preacher talking to me about Heaven and Hell.

Curtis: Jake, you get wise. You get to church.

I'll take James Brown over Ricky Gervais any day of the week bubba.