I'm buying a new bed

Hello, helpful VCers. I'm in the market for a new bed. I've had the same one for the last 15 years and I've started getting back pain after sleeping the last couple years. So....I think it might be time for a new mattress.

A few questions --

Can I just buy a new mattress and keep the same box springs? This would be awesome, cause it would save me some money.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands, styles, etc.? I think I'd like to get a pillow top. I'm not sure what a fair price is for a good bed. A friend said around $1000 ( :blink ).

EDIT: I'm looking at either a queen size or a full, if that makes any difference on price suggestions.

Hello, helpful VCers. I'm in the market for a new bed. I've had the same one for the last 15 years and I've started getting back pain after sleeping the last couple years. So....I think it might be time for a new mattress.

A few questions --

Can I just buy a new mattress and keep the same box springs? This would be awesome, cause it would save me some money.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands, styles, etc.? I think I'd like to get a pillow top. I'm not sure what a fair price is for a good bed. A friend said around $1000 ( :blink ).

Maybe not the advice you're looking for, but I would recommend laying on every mattress you come across and seeing what's comfortable to you. The expensive ones aren't always the best, although if you like soft mattresses (like I do), the more expensive ones seem to be better.

I'm really not sure about the box spring. My guess would be to get a new one since those would wear out some, too. But I really don't know.

We have a Stearns & Foster mattress, which is a little higher than most, but it is quite easily the best mattress I've ever had.

if your old box spring is still in good shape and the springs aren't weak at the sides/edges (that's where they get the most wear), there's no reason you can't use it with a new mattress.

EDIT: I'm looking at either a queen size or a full, if that makes any difference on price suggestions.

I just bought one of these for 300 bucks a few months ago - at Sam's Club.

I don't have a boxspring - so I don't know about that.

Also, I went to Walmart and bought a memory foam top - it was about $40.00 bucks, I think.

Also, I went to Walmart and bought a memory foam top - it was about $40.00 bucks, I think.

are those things good? like if your elbow digs into it, do you have a memorialized elbow hole for the rest of the night or week?

are those things good? like if your elbow digs into it, do you have a memorialized elbow hole for the rest of the night or week?

I don't think they are like the memory foam beds that cost 1,000 bucks - but it does seem to work about like that one. I have not tried the pillow - I think I might sometime.

If you're serious about your mattress go to several mattress outlets/stores and (as suggested above) try them out. Take your time. Remember, the salespeople at these joints are like car salespeople and work on commission. They have the ability to come down in price, too. Treat the transaction like you would a car deal and price them at several places while talking prices with the salespeople.

Also, I'd replace the box spring if it's old. It actually plays a big hand in how the mattress works and it's longevity.

ed. I purchased a very nice king-sized memory foam-like bed 2 years ago that meets my needs and paid around $500 for it.

If you are allergic to dust mites, like me and supposedly 20%+ of the population, consider a latex mattress. The buggers can't live in the latex, and they are really comfortable mattresses. Also, no need for a box spring, just a platform. Since I went over to bedding with latex,cotton, and wool, my sinuses are way better. Unfortunately, although down is also a natural material, it is a dustmite haven.

Yes, get a new box spring. If you don't want a latex foam thing, then have the mattress store (if you go to one) throw in the bed wraps that keep out the dust mite things.

We have TWO of those memory foam things on our bed and while they are generally comfortable, they don't do anything when your mattress is saggy. There is truly nothing better than a new bed, and if you're having back problems and not getting a good night's sleep, do not get anything on the cheap. It isn't worth it.

We have a memory foam mattress and we love it. We've had it for about 3.5 years so far and it still feels like a new bed.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you get one with a pillow top, you'll probably have to go out and buy new sheets because the old ones might not be deep enough. But then again, it's nice to get new sheets.

I don't know how the mattresses at Ikea are, but you have 90 days to decide if you like it or not...

Yes, get a new box spring. If you don't want a latex foam thing, then have the mattress store (if you go to one) throw in the bed wraps that keep out the dust mite things.

We have TWO of those memory foam things on our bed and while they are generally comfortable, they don't do anything when your mattress is saggy. There is truly nothing better than a new bed, and if you're having back problems and not getting a good night's sleep, do not get anything on the cheap. It isn't worth it.

You echo my thoughts....

I work a demanding job and my bed's not helping me get the rest I need. I toss and turn a lot and I get back pain. What's the average life cycle of a bed?

DO NOT SAY
. That is my only piece of advice. Call it a "dog kennel."

"And did those feet, in ancient times ... "

You echo my thoughts....

I work a demanding job and my bed's not helping me get the rest I need. I toss and turn a lot and I get back pain. What's the average life cycle of a bed?

in the store they'll tell you twenty years if you regularly flip it and turn it upside down and inside out, but don't believe it. there is no average life cycle. you buy a new bed when you get sick of "fluffing up" the futon; when your spouse suddenly insists on a firmer mattress; when you get sick of spouse and two cats giving you claustrophobia all night long and decide to upsize; when you tear a ligament or rupture a disc and everything your body always wanted changes overnight; when you just need a switch for no known reason. each of these things, and possibly all of them, happen in well under twenty years. buena suerte!

You echo my thoughts....

I think it is 10 years. but i don't know where i got that info.

• 2 months later...

Ok... We're looking at purchasing a new mattress and I need to know who has or has had a Tempurpedic mattress; pros, cons and insight. My wife wants one but I'm leaning toward the Sterns and Foster.

I'm looking for some real help here. :pray

Thanks

We have a Stearns & Foster mattress, which is a little higher than most, but it is quite easily the best mattress I've ever had.

my mom once ordered a Stearns & Foster at a bar, attempting to order a Foster & Kearns. that got a good laugh from the bartender.

We have a now 4 year old sleep number bed (mid-range version) and we like it a lot. Scott tried the Tempurpedic thing in the store and didn't like it as well. I never did try one; I have a sneaking suspicion I would have preferred it.

Um, I don't remember. It's worked great for us besides some anxious moments getting the f*ing thing to fit in our existing bed frame (as we elected to install ourselves -- it arrived in boxes via shipping). I figure that for the $1K it cost it has saved me that in trips to the chiropractor.