Election Year!!!

Maybe a little blind, I'll give you that, but I put a lot of weight on actual management and leadership experience, of which Obama has very little, and Palin has a lot. You can downplay the significance of being governor of Alaska all day, but it's still leading and managing at a very high level. I don't see where Obama has managed or lead anything. For me, this is important. I wasn't a Clinton fan at all (shocking, I know), but he was/is a master manager.

For the record, I thought her speech was great.

Stretching and spining her leadership is all you got.

I am no expert on Alaska, does anyoen know what sort of powers the governor of Alaska actually has? People were fooled once before on the percirved power of an inexperienced governor.

lay out "my side" as you see it and i'll try to defend it.

If you don't know yoru side enough to articulate it, then I am speechless as to how to answer this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still undecided at this point. As a person of faith, part of me wants to just vote for Obama because there are so many blind, narrow minded and judgmental "Christians" that just expect you to vote Republican. I really dislike the Karl Rove's of the world that have convinced many "Christians" that they are to blindly follow the Republican party. It makes me ill to think that most non-believers equate being a Christian with being a gun-toting-right-wing-intolerant-war-mongering-Republican.

Regarding the attack politics of the speech last night vs. the approach of Obama, I'm not sure yet how much credit I want to give to Barack for his approach. If he is doing this out of a strong core belief, that is admirable. If he is doing it merely as his best strategy to get elected, then I don't think we should hold him on such a high pedestal. I'll be watching closely over the next two months.

does obama credit his speechwriters?

he has given hundreds or thousands of speeches on the stump across the nation during the primary campaign and now the general election campaign. no doubt some were written by speechwriters, although from everything i've read he plays a substantial role in creating his speeches. other than that, he speaks off the cuff -- again has probably done so hundreds or thousands of times -- and participated in i don't know how many unscripted nationally televised debates.

sarah palin has done none of this. she read a tiny speech last friday, and a long speech last night.

no contest there, if you'd thought about it.

I bet Barry was getting pissed when they were dissin his community organizer work.

that was one of the most ignorant aspects of some speeches, particularly palin's of all people. with her record, she's got no ammunition to be mocking anybody's work anywhere.

Ha, you got me. Venting, this is what I am doing. I'll post an email from a local McCain fan later today when I get my hands on it. This the typical, rural voter in Missouri. At first it will be humorous, upon further digestion it will make you hurl. It is forthcoming..,

Ok, here it is FHF, you saw it for real & know I didn't make this shit up!

What I received from one of my rural Missouri McCain supporters. I highlighted the new spelling of words for ya..

democrat Propaganda

Date: Sep 3, 2008 4:08 PM

How many lies have they told about VP Gov Sarah Palin? She is takeing care of he doughter Kid? she got her borther enlaw fired? SO what if he is not doing his job then that shows she does not care who they are if there not geting the job done there out of there.

They call her that WOMAN ....THAT woman has a name...you dont hear us Republicans calling Hillary that dried up WOMAN. why would the democrats bring somones child into there polotcs?

Bottom line democrats are ingnorant and they have done everything they can too lose this race and it is there own fualt. And if your going to report the news, get facts right , LIberal bios assholes

he has given hundreds or thousands of speeches on the stump across the nation during the primary campaign and now the general election campaign. no doubt some were written by speechwriters, although from everything i've read he plays a substantial role in creating his speeches. other than that, he speaks off the cuff -- again has probably done so hundreds or thousands of times -- and participated in i don't know how many unscripted nationally televised debates.

i'll take that as another "no" then.

i don't have tons of time to comment much amidst having to fetch milk/lemondae and fire up rapid fire episodes of wonder pets from on-demand.

her delivery of that speech was exactly what it needed to be, but (as stated) the substance of said speech was rife w/ half-truths and some flat-out inaccuracies. plus, as dr. no stated earlier, the ripping on his community work was the part that angered me the most...right or wrong, you can go toe to toe on 'executive' vs. legislative experience and i'll consider it fair game for debate...but slapping unelected community leaders/organizers/volunteers in the face by dismissing it's importance is just bad form. one could argue that if it wasn't for folks like that and we had to solely rely on state/local/national officials...NOTHING WOULD GET DONE.

i don't claim to know how this will all play out...i won't lie, the republican machine is now firing on all pistons and i'm a bit worried...but she (and the other speakers last night) opened the door to a gloves off/game on campaign from their opposition and all but begged the media to call her on the carpet w/ factual errors. if i hear one more time that the media is being biased, slanted or (most ridiculously) sexist i'll lose my mind. reap what you sow.

finally, fuck off rudy. dropping the word 'cosmopolitan' by the former mayor of the city that is the very definition of the word? knocking the same media that made you willingly let build you up as 'america's mayor'? pffft.

i won't have time to go out of state and canvas anything...but my yard signs/campain packs are on their way to decorate the fuck out of palatine.

Can I see some data to back this up?

No, I made it up. Do you know how many of our younger soliders committ suicide, end up homeless, have a lifetime of PTSD?

More American military veterans have been committing suicide than US soldiers have been dying in Iraq, it was claimed yesterday http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2873622.ece

120 War Vets Commit Suicide Each Week http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/68713/

Suicide Epidemic Among Veterans

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/13/...in3496471.shtml

Well, I think you are so far gone on McCain that it's not really worth discussing his qualities, good or bad, but I've always felt he's more comfortable and likeable at the town hall style meetings and the debates than when he's reading scripted speeches.

There was a story recently of how McCain's "handlers" are trying to vet his message on the "straight talk express." He does shoot from the hip, which is refreshing. This election could use some unscripted debate, it might actually lead to some substance.

ok, i'll go away and leave you guys to jack each other off in peace.

cheers!

that would be good, because you contribute nothing but simple and simplistic darts. your approach is like that of a bad cognitive behavioral therapist or a junior high school debate class. it's getting old as hell. i respect and sometimes learn from the posts of some other conservatives on this board. and, as someone said earlier, you are not one of them. cheers.

does obama credit his speechwriters?

From NPR, a conversation with David Axelrod on 8/28/08:

Well, you know, when you're working with Senator Obama, the main player on a speech is Senator Obama. He kicked out the main draft, and then his speechwriter, John Fabrow, has worked with him, others have worked with him on it. It is now and probably always will be the case that he's the best speech writer in the group, and he knows what he wants to say, and he feels strongly about that. So, he knows what he wants to say and he generally says it better than anybody else would.

More from USA Today on Obama's speechwriting:

As Obama prepared Thursday night, spokeswoman Linda Douglass said, he reviewed acceptance speeches by more than a half-dozen presidenital nominees
I am still undecided at this point. As a person of faith, part of me wants to just vote for Obama because there are so many blind, narrow minded and judgmental "Christians" that just expect you to vote Republican. I really dislike the Karl Rove's of the world that have convinced many "Christians" that they are to blindly follow the Republican party. It makes me ill to think that most non-believers equate being a Christian with being a gun-toting-right-wing-intolerant-war-mongering-Republican.

Regarding the attack politics of the speech last night vs. the approach of Obama, I'm not sure yet how much credit I want to give to Barack for his approach. If he is doing this out of a strong core belief, that is admirable. If he is doing it merely as his best strategy to get elected, then I don't think we should hold him on such a high pedestal. I'll be watching closely over the next two months.

If you read the Obama's history he is the same man of character now, that he has always been. McCain has changed his character and everything he stood for when he put on his new clothes for this election.

Here is the master list of how McCain changed his stance on 75 or so issues since running..all with links to the original link

http://www.bi30.org/wordpress/flipflopper.htm#randi

9/11? :unsure

in my eyes he was america's mayor too. he did a fanatstic job as mayor during the whole tragedy...it's what makes his public performance since then that much more aggravating.

i think he made mention in his speech that he was appalled that the democrats at their convention did not mention 9/11...that they acted like it never happened. i'd ask him, what's worse...acting like it's the ONLY thing that has happened and mentioning it every opportunity you can for political gain.

nope. fuck off, rudy.