Election Year!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm not trying to be a smart ass but don't the soldiers and vets have complete access to VA hospitals?

I was thinking more about the quality of care in the hospitals, like the stories you hear about Walter Reed. And I heard in

the other day (it's an Obama video but the person speaking is the Director of the IL Dept of Veterans Affairs) that not every state VA gets the same amount of funding -- they're ranked by priority, in a sense. I don't know any more about that ranking than what the video says, yet. So if anyone has more info on this VA ranking system I'd love to hear it.

McCain voted for veterans funding bills only 30% of the time, according to a scorecard of roll-call votes put out by the nonpartisan Disabled Americans for America. Under the same system Obama has a 90% rating .

Hypocrite, thy name is McCain http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/5/26/19303/1486

I'm well aware of the problems and I think it's a national tragedy that veterans don't get the best of everything health-related we have to offer. But it's still not "most" young soldiers who end up that way. I've had at least 10 friends go over to Iraq and Afghanistan, and by your word choice 5+ of them should have had one of the problems you mentioned above.

I was asking, honestly, not because I dislike you and want to pick a fight, but because I'm studying that kind of stuff for my Masters thesis and I was curious as to where you got that info from. Thanks for the links.

I would check the World Health Organization and the multitude of Counseling, Psychology, Psychiatry journals. From what I have read the PTSD situation is being dealt with very unethically. To the military's defense, they focus on physical wounds (visible problems) as a priority, however, the intangible mental health state is left to fester and later, often, becomes a physical problem for themselves and others (friends & family).

For what discipline is your thesis intended?

Now I'm not trying to be a smart ass but don't the soldiers and vets have complete access to VA hospitals?

I told myself I would never do this, but...

"quoted for stupidity"

Google you some Walter Reed.

in his defense, the need occurs because in cases like trying to bash the adminstration over unprovable conspiracy of orchestrating 9/11 versus the scores of tangbile data-driven speaking points on how bad the administration was over the past 8 years...you are doing your cause more harm than good.

it's why, as good as obama is, i'm worried about we, his constituency, being the ones that do/say something to short citcuit his campaign and hand shit over once again.

That makes sense. We have met the enemy and it is us.

A bump to the dung heap of history, perhaps, where all the 9/11 conspiracy nonsense belongs.

Perhaps the most tragic result of the last decade of politics (worldwide, not just in the United States) is that if someone says something frequently enough on the Internet it will be accepted as fact by an astounding number of people if it fits in with their political affiliation or worldview. WTC-7 couldn't have collapsed due to fire, Obama is a Muslim, Iraq was an illegal war, etc. and people insist on backing up their claims with handpicked bits of news, party line talking points and websites with enough bias to float a battleship.

I'm at the point where I can't stomach about 90% of Democrats and Republicans because they're so far up their respective party's ass. And I think that 90% figure would apply to the people who post on this message board, too.

I was referring more to the later part of the post beyond the bullets.

Where were you when they were reporting on Walter Reed?

(EDIT: Alright you've been pretty beat up about this already)

That's one that amazes me; how Bush & Co. cut military benefits -- death benefits -- changed the rules regarding reservists midstream, cut family benefits and yet they they are pro military? Our soldiers could use some body armor from the Republicans.

RE: the VA system...

considering my wife works at the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis (one of only four level one poly-trauma centers), i can tell you that while the system of getting admitted into the VA system and their hospitals is flawed and needs work, the quality of care they do administer is second to none

so don't let the faults of the VA system's bureaucracy taint your view of the care that VA Hospitals give

considering my wife works at the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis (one of only four level one poly-trauma centers), i can tell you that while the system of getting admitted into the VA system and their hospitals is flawed and needs work, the quality of care they do administer is second to none

so don't let the faults of the VA system's bureaucracy taint your view of the care that VA Hospitals give

Thank you for that point -- and her! :thumbup

Love the responses. Thanks.

Ok so this is the same government we want to take on "Universal Healthcare"....right? Just checking.

I think this is a pretty excellent point, and it goes with what Solace is saying.

The care will be there for those who can wade through the beauracracy, but I just don't see how it will work on a large scale.

I think this is a pretty excellent point, and it goes with what Solace is saying.

The care will be there for those who can wade through the beauracracy, but I just don't see how it will work on a large scale.

Compared to the bureaucracy you have now with insurance/health care providers? I would rather have something flawed but consistent and functional than the continue ratcheting of rates, the annual and semi-annual changing of costs and benefits, what's allowed and what's not allowed.

I don't think the more plausible plans dictate that the government would be the health care providers -- ala VA -- but that there would be an aim of consistent, predictable and structured costs, benefits for everyone -- but most importantly for kids and those who can't afford anything.

One Wing does make a good point... consistency with regards to how to handle insurance/bills/coverage/care, etc. is key, no matter if it's privatized or government funded.

don't fall into the traps of the those who claim that gov't funded healthcare automatically means gov't RUN healthcare, there *IS* a major difference

It's the bureaucracy I'm talking about, it's what keeps the help away from the vets. Not all vets, but enough. Our aging vets in poorly run & run-down VA homes are sad. I've been to a few during college for observation.

Yes, bureaucracy is a problem but not a reason against universal healthcare. There are a lot of people without healthcare and a lot of people with it get denied when they most need it. With healthcare I've had to wait 6 hours in an emergency and wait 2 months to get a doctor's appointment before. Bureaucracy is not unique to universal healthcare. There are solutions. People should have access to health care, period.

One Wing does make a good point... consistency with regards to how to handle insurance/bills/coverage/care, etc. is key, no matter if it's privatized or government funded.

don't fall into the traps of the those who claim that gov't funded healthcare automatically means gov't RUN healthcare, there *IS* a major difference

Gov't funded like Medicaid and Medicare?