Election Year!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question I have about universal healthcare: How much control would providers have in billing? Would the government be capping how much providers can charge for services, procedures, etc. or would the providers be able to set the price on their own?

You could take a free enterprise approach. But when the biggest health care provider in the country says, "unh uh" the price will come down. In reality, through a federal plan, rates would be negotiated as part of the plan ($x for tonsils, $XX for a stent etc.).

While $$ are skyrocketing, I think it's appropriately pointed out that an incredible amount of that is marketing and sales (and R&D).

On the pharma side of things, if the government institutionalized that aspect of it -- low-cost generics as there are today, plus standardizing pricing (still be free enterprise for new drugs and a period before generics become available) the government could knock a hole in costs.

Didn't Palin support hunting from airplanes? I don't know if that's true, but if it is, what kinda pussy ass hunting is that?

I just posted links to that above. She wants to slaughter anything from the sky like a pussy ass. And she didn't support it, she forced it above the choice of her people.

In theory that is correct, but that is not the current state of health insurance. Insurance is expected to cover everything, even routine visits and chronic conditions. This is where a lot of the problem lies. You're not saving any money on insurance if you're paying them to pay for something that you will definitely need versus something that you will probably not need.

That would have to change. Any plan would have to put more on the insured to make prudent choices. My company recently went to a plan that has X deductable -- the negotiate good rates on meds, doctors appointments etc. You pay until you reach, say $1,000, then the insurance covers everything after that. For many people, that's not insurance. But you're also not funding someone who doesn't use it. It also makes people think twice about running to the doctor with a runny nose -- given it will cost them $50 or $60 rather than $10 or $15 for co-pay.

A responsible plan makes everyone responsible.

That figure is waaaay out of the ballpark.

Total spending was $2.3 TRILLION in 2007, or $7600 per person. Total health care spending represented 16 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP).

In England in 2006 and 2007 the average person spent 1,195 pounds a year on health care. That converts to about $2,125 US. I call that a massive improvement. Scotland is a little more expensive but haggis does awful things to your intestinal tract.

Palin: Democrats spreading misinformation and lies

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer 28 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS - Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on Thursday blamed supporters of the Democratic presidential ticket for spreading "misinformation and flat-out lies" about her and her family.

But her spokeswoman said Obama's campaign was not responsible, even though a Palin fundraising letter named the Democratic ticket with the words: "the Obama-Biden Democrats have been vicious in their attacks directed toward me, my family and John McCain."

The Obama campaign has raised questions about Palin's qualifications based on her six years as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, and less than two years as governor, but Obama himself has said her family should be off-limits. He also said he would fire any staffer who talks about it.

Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella said: "We appreciate the fact that he came out and condemned this kind of personal attack." Asked whether Palin thought Obama or his running mate, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, were personally responsible for the attacks mentioned in the letter, Comella said, "No."

Asked who was to blame, the spokeswoman said, "You want me to tick through all the stuff that's been ticking through all the blogs the past few days? What about the stuff that was on Daily Kos, that rumor that was spread?"

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said "the only 'flat-out lie' is this ridiculous claim, and it proves that John McCain has wasted no time in teaching Sarah Palin the ways of the Washington he's inhabited for the last 26 years."

Palin herself met with Republican governors Thursday and said afterward that leading a state means you have to make decisions and not just vote "present."

"We don't have a 'present' button as governor

Aerial hunting of wolves

Ok - She supported aerial hunting of wolves to thicken the heards of what they hunt. She tried to make it so the hunter would get paid $150 for every dead wolf.

That's what you got from all that is out there on this issue? Here's a vid on aerial hunting..

What does Ted Nuggent think of that?

Ted's a nut. I'm ok with hunting, but there are limits to what is humane and acceptable. Aerial shooting is sick and serves no benefit, just like the canned hunting by Bush and Cheney. It's sick.

Check out the Humane Society's stance on it, and on Palin. They don't make this shit up for political gain. I doubt you could find a way to tear down the credibility of the Humane Society of the United States of America

http://www.hsus.org/search.jsp

Your right he is crazy but Ted is a traditional hunter. He don't go for pussy ass methods that remove the sport from the kill. He mostly uses a bow-and-arrow like Tarzan.

Like Tarzan :lol . I have no problem with traditional hunters. And Ted, as nutty as he is with his inner pioneer, has preserved a butt-load of of land for wildlife to live on, and for the most part hunts there. I respect a man who kills his own food over people who eat factory farmed crap @ fast food joints. I doubt Ted would be caught dead eating Tyson.

I read his take on Obama and had to laugh. You just can't hate Ted, he's a legend.

How boring will McCaincient be tonight? He better have a lot of insults ready to top Palin. I'm already sleepy thinking about it.

Because you aren't the intended audience.

I'm a broken record.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/westmo...2008-09-04.html

Georgia Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland used the racially-tinged term "uppity" to describe Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Thursday.

Westmoreland was discussing vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's speech with reporters outside the House chamber and was asked to compare her with Michelle Obama.

"Just from what little I’ve seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said.

Asked to clarify that he used the word “uppity,” Westmoreland said, “Uppity, yeah.”

Classy.

Palin's Convention Speech Brings in Cash for Obama

Jonathan D. Salant 56 minutes ago

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin is bringing in campaign cash for the Democrats as well as her own party.

Barack Obama reported raising at least $10 million from more than 130,000 donors today after Palin, the Alaska governor, addressed the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, and criticized the Democratic presidential nominee.

``Sarah Palin's attacks have rallied our supporters in ways we never expected,'' Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said. ``And we fully expect John McCain's attacks tonight to help us make our grassroots organization even stronger.''

The money followed an e-mail solicitation campaign manager David Plouffe sent out right after Palin's speech.

``You know that despite what John McCain and his attack squad say, every day people have the power to build something extraordinary when we come together,'' he wrote.

McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, raised $10 million after Palin was selected as his running mate Aug. 29, part of his record $47 million haul last month.

``She's energized the base,'' said former New York Senator Alfonse D'Amato, who has raised at least $250,000 for McCain, 72. ``Money will not be a problem.''

Palin Appeal

The McCain campaign sent out an e-mail from Palin, 44, today seeking additional donations. ``We must have the finances to respond to the latest attacks the Democrats have launched at us,'' she wrote.

Now that McCain is the nominee, he will receive $84.1 million for his fall campaign and cannot raise any private money except to cover legal and accounting costs. His fundraisers can continue to bring in money for the Republican National Committee, which, in turn, can spend it on McCain's behalf.

McCain also can contribute any unspent money from his primary campaign to the RNC, Federal Election Commission spokesman Bob Biersack said.