Election Year!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so put off by (amongst many other things) those "hand made" signs. Last night's "Hockey Moms 4 Palin" and "The Mavrick" (sic) tonight. Are we really supposed to believe that this convention wasn't fully stage-managed, that these delegates just showed up with those signs all by themselves?

I'm put off by it, too. In fact, I was reading about that earlier: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/moira-whelan...x_b_123892.html

Oh, there's plenty of real pics of her and her fam posing with guns and lots of dead things, which I find weird and disturbing..and something out of a trailer-park. I'm so sickened by Palin's speech, and the way she used her childern last night...I haven't nothing left to say but that.

wishful thinking

I find it to be an act of hubris on the part of the protester. Who are they going to reach? Ten seconds of the back of their head on TV is really going to reach the masses. It's just fodder for getting laid at the coffee house.

:lol

Well, I just made my first Obama donation of the campaign...... While I'm not a full-fledged True Believer, the time has come to do something.

So, like you, come November, I will cast my ballot in favor of Obama.

:cheekkiss Guys, we are counting on you and many more like you.

I was thinking more about the quality of care in the hospitals, like the stories you hear about Walter Reed. And I heard in
the other day (it's an Obama video but the person speaking is the Director of the IL Dept of Veterans Affairs)

I am not a fan of trotting out my stepfather's memory to make a point, but we railed against the VA healthcare system that abandoned him back when he was sick and he was a west point graduated, retired lt colonel, 3 purple heart decorated POW, and he got little from the VA. I can only imagine it has gotten far worse for the rank and file.

is this really that important to you? you're scanning the audience for black people? wtf

Yes. The republican party's delegates do not look much like America. That was the point I was making (and it was made for me).

I've never seen Space Ghost, but that's funny anyways.

I still have no idea what he plans to do besides flex his muscle around the world. The relentless jingoism is disturbing.....the body bag industry should continue to do well. But he seems to have decided to use Obama's energy policy, so even if he wins, there's that. And I didn't listen to her speak, but I respect Cindy McCain for doing something useful with her time and money (as opposed to say, Nancy Reagan.)

Bring on the debates!

I can't watch Jon Stewart on TV, so I can't wait to see tonight's show tomorrow.

Obama wants to change things in Washington just as McCain claims he wants. I just don't see O doing this thru insults, ridicule, and with the need to berate those from the republican party, well all parties really. McCain says he pretty much isn't in step with anyone but himself & Palin. Just who are they going to be working with here, themselves?

Huh? Yeah, your right, I have no idea why I support Obama. There not a lick of info out there on him, nobody has heard of the guy, he never ran against Hillary and won, he's never made a speech, not seen a day in Congress, he wasn't a law professor that taught classes on the constitution, he's never...

Follow this link to see votes by Obama on the most important bills, nominations and resolutions that have come before Congress. This might have something to do with why I dig the dude.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congres...0167/key-votes/

is this really that important to you? you're scanning the audience for black people? wtf

It is very important to democrats to be seen as the party of the black people. Republicans don't care about black people!

Edie have you been looking for Hispanic faces? They re the largest minority in our country and they don't vote in lockstep with the democratic party. I know it doesn't fit in with your goal, but it doesn't invalidate the point.

It is very important to democrats to be seen as the party of the black people. Republicans don't care about black people!

Edie have you been looking for Hispanic faces? They re the largest minority in our country and they don't vote in lockstep with the democratic party. I know it doesn't fit in with your goal, but it doesn't invalidate the point.

Yes, we did. And yes there were a few, along with some Asian faces. But not like the dems. And I don't think its an illusion.

Here is a random picture of the Dem convention (google images)

img_0240_1.JPG

Here is one of the GOP -- from the GOP convention web site since I couldn't find one posted elsewhere.

IMG_4028.JPG

I know its not scientific, but its all I got.

EDIT: Delegates are chosen (literally selected by the party) long before candidates are. So the fact that the democrats seem to more completely represent the population is what it is -- nothing to do with Obama.

end yet somehow, the Republicans won the election in 00 and 04. they must have some minorities hidden away. :badger

honestly though, I don't see the point of tracking something this. obviously (to me) it doesn't matter.

I saw none @ the RNC. You have a point though, some Americans continue to work for the Black minorities exclusively. Hispanics remain the largest minority group at 44.3 million, but somehow overlooked by our politicians. White folks like me are dropping in #'s. We seem to be aging but not producing as many babies. This will certainly change politics in our childrens future.I'm bored with the black-white racial dynamics, and nothing else.

boy that's hardly convincing.

The democrats are also running a black candidate. That might have something todo with it.

I really can't stand when people play race for political gain. I don't buy the theory that democrats care about black people anymore than the republicans. They see them as another voting block to exploit. The parties care about rich people of all shapes and colors and could give half a fuck about poor of any race.

Kris, it doesn't matter to me either. I was just pointing out to him that the Dem convention looked more like our reality here in the city than the republican one does. He is actually much more like bobbob; relatively race unaware, which is the way Scott and I like it and we cultivate it.