Five Wilco songs you can't stand to listen to.......

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lists of "Wilco songs I've heard too much and skip because I'm tired of" and "Wilco songs I don't really like" are much different. As far as songs I skip because I don't really like them: Dash 7 and Blue-Eyed Soul are probably the biggest ones, though also Candyfloss, When You Wake Up Feeling Old, and Comment.

I don't dislike Less Than You Think, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it. The second disc of Being There took me a long time to warm up to, but I love it now.

I find it completely intolerable and amongst the most trite lyrics I've ever heard... not just from Tweedy. But you;re right... to each his own!

The lyrics don't bother me as much as the music itself - particularly the opening. The first time I heard it my first thought was "that sounds like the theme from a damn soap opera or something". The jazzy bits later on almost save it. But not quite.

The lyrics don't bother me as much as the music itself - particularly the opening. The first time I heard it my first thought was "that sounds like the theme from a damn soap opera or something". The jazzy bits later on almost save it. But not quite.

Agreed. As I've said many times, lyrics don't really figure into the equation for me unless the music is great first. If the music was any good, I wouldn't ming that the lyrics are trite. :lol

"Please don't cry

This world of words and meanings makes you feel

outside

Something that you feel already

deep inside

You've denied

Go ahead and cry"

Not very trite in my opinion.. But hey, I also love Hotel Arizona which I haven't seen a single positive post about that song in this thread, so what do I know. :lol

Here's a kind word about Hotel Arizona; I've always thought it was one of the best songs on Being There. I would never skip it. In fact when its over, I often play that track again. Having said that, I don't care for On and On and On. I don't know if its trite (I got smacked around pretty good for calling a lot of the songs on SBS trite), but I know its not amazing.

Oh and I think Shake It Off is pretty damned good too.

Hotel Arizona is worth it for Coomer's drumming alone.

It's strange, I never paid to much attention to the studio version but when it was in heavy rotation (in '99 especially) that song really was mind-blowing.

I know the current lineup has done it a bit this year. I wish it would take the place of ITMWLY or Shot for awhile.

I'm enough of a fanboy that I don't really dislike any of Wilco's songs, but there are some that I tend to skip over:

Kingpin

Hotel Arizona

In a Future Age

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

Less Than You Think

They're not really bad songs, but they feel like filler on those albums. Less Than You Think is actually a lovely song, it's just about 11 minutes too long.

Can't believe you've listed those.

When You Wake Up... is one of their finer moments IMO, and Less Than You Think I just skip before the drone starts. The live versions from 2002/3 are lovely.

Hotel Arizona top five not bottom five. In a Future Age top ten not bottom five.

And for those who listed Pieholden, get real! A beauty.

> Hotel Arizona is easily the worst Wilco song ever.

didnt Glenn say that at some point?

personally i love it. especially the way it builds up in intensity during that instrumental break

> That honor belongs to On & On & On which is the only song that comes to mind for me which I HATE so much that I MUST skip it.

unless you have some special version of the CD, its impossible to skip it.

i agree about When you wake up.. being one of their finer moments. its easily in my top 5

Having never heard a single Wilco song on the radio here in Sydney, I can't say high rotation has ever been a problem!

Track 15 (The one between In a Future Age and Candyfloss) on Summerteeth is a certain starter.

As good as I can do for real:

Comment

Theologians

Spiders

why so much hate for AM? its a solid album

im gonna say monday is a song i skip alot but there isnt many

english st- im from brisbane and have heard wilco a fair few times on the radio on triple j, last song i heard was actaully monday.... but they mainly play what light and heavy metal drummer

this is a rather alarming topic in my eyes...

As a relatively new listener compared to most of you, its the older stuff that really gets my goat

tweedy's voice is really different on all other albums except SBS, and it's the slow pace and weird twanging that Jay Bennett throws around

Nels has raised them to another level, and i cannot believe songs like Side With The Seeds, On and On and On and leave me like you found me are making it on here, they're very emotionally driven songs with each member of Wilco really allowing their talent to come to the fore.

Old songs like radio cure, sure the end is interesting but the start is downright depressing

songs like the more cheery old tunes seem to be getting a rougher reception on here as well, but they kind of give you a spring in your step and are a great antithesis to other darker tracks

discuss.. haha this should be funny :)

most of a.m. and being there only becuase tweedy's voice has evolved so much and it just sounds weird hearing a solo verion of him doing them amazingly then you goto the album and it just sounds totally weird. . shot in the arm and heavy metal drummer ive heard more times than i can count. then a lot of songs on SBS i dont really feel that connected to. They seem like incomplete thoughts to me.

why so much hate for AM? its a solid album

im gonna say monday is a song i skip alot but there isnt many

Isn't Monday on Being There?

Come on, even if I actually liked AM I could see that it stands out like a soar thumb. The smooth adult radio rock production "I must be high to say goodbye, by by bye". You can like it or hate it, but it's not like most Wilco.

Which brings me to a sub-topic: Least favorite production style on a Wilco album (not songs, just sounds). I gotta say A.M. and Summerteeth.

Can't believe you've listed those.

When You Wake Up... is one of their finer moments IMO, and Less Than You Think I just skip before the drone starts. The live versions from 2002/3 are lovely.

Hotel Arizona top five not bottom five. In a Future Age top ten not bottom five.

And for those who listed Pieholden, get real! A beauty.

Agree 100% (but never skip the drone!)

The ones I find hard to deal with:

Shake it Off

It's Just That Simple

Passenger Side

The Lonely 1

What Light