The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article in today's New York Times about what is the best Grateful Dead show ever.

Grateful Dead Live at Barton Hall - Cornell University on 1977-05-08

This show does not move me as much as some of others do. I think it's the drums. I understand the playing and recording came together to form something magical - it sounds very nice. I suppose I just prefer the earlier stuff.

This show does not move me as much as some of others do. I think it's the drums. I understand the playing and recording came together to form something magical - it sounds very nice. I suppose I just prefer the earlier stuff.

Thanks for the link, it's a good sounding recording. I absolutely loved that version of Loser and I like Jerry's guitar tone on this.

Interesting article in today's New York Times about what is the best Grateful Dead show ever.

Interesting read, Oil Can.

Which gets me to thinking....have we did a "what's your 10 favorite shows" thing in these GD threads (I honestly can't recall)? I know it's an almost impossible task, but if anyone here wants to chime in that'd be cool. I'll go get my head screwed on and mull this over. :stunned

I love this show primarily for the Bass. Phil is just slidin' all over the place!

That and "Everyone's favorite happy fun game..."

:stunned

http://www.archive.org/details/thedead2009-04-12

I'm currently listening to Music and damn pleasantly surprised sounds way tighter then the last go round. Actually got me on ticketmaster looking for tickets. Still don't think i'll be able to make it happen.

Interesting read, Oil Can.

Which gets me to thinking....have we did a "what's your 10 favorite shows" thing in these GD threads (I honestly can't recall)? I know it's an almost impossible task, but if anyone here wants to chime in that'd be cool. I'll go get my head screwed on and mull this over. :stunned

Isn't the best show always the next show (at least back in the day...)?

I like this idea. It'd be interesting (challenging, too) to try and pare down the enormous catalog of shows to a top ten. It'd also be interesting to list top 5 shows attended....

I'm not sure I keep track. I think what I do these days is read along in the Taper's books until I come upon a show I would like to hear, and then I go to the archive to find it.

I also follow this:

Grateful Dead Listening Guide Blog

There are the ususal ones: The April 1971 Fillmore shows, May 2, 1970 Harpur College, etc.

I use those resources, too, A-man. Not very often, but...

While there are shows that are highly touted by the majority (and I generally agree with the assessments) I would probably have a few in my top 10 that aren't on a lot of those lists due to some quirk that suits me, etc. Could be interesting, nonetheless.

It'd also be interesting to list top 5 shows attended....

Thats easy.........any of the Alpine shows I attended from 87 to 89. Maybe the first time they played........ummmmmm.........whats that place in central Indiana......well, anyways that was a pretty good one too.

Louisville, Spring 89(?) was good too........scored a floor ticket at the last minute for face and was on my own the whole show with a pocketful of G13 :stunned

I'm not sure I keep track. I think what I do these days is read along in the Taper's books until I come upon a show I would like to hear, and then I go to the archive to find it.

I also follow this:

Grateful Dead Listening Guide Blog

If you havent already, check out the novella in the Compendium written about the Field Trip, 8/27/72. The author has thought way way too much about that show. Dont get me wrong though........its a great concert made better after viewing Sunshine Daydream. I sure wish there was more footage from shows like that out there. Imagine having concerts from the Avalon 68 or whatnot available........

Thats easy.........any of the Alpine shows I attended from 87 to 89. Maybe the first time they played........ummmmmm.........whats that place in central Indiana......well, anyways that was a pretty good one too.

Louisville, Spring 89(?) was good too........scored a floor ticket at the last minute for face and was on my own the whole show with a pocketful of G13 :stunned

I was at the Alpine run in '88 and nothing really jumps out at me right now. They were solid and were breaking out tunes (I know "Foolish" was a first-timer that first night) but besides solid sets/playing I can't really recall anything overly special about them. Just my take, of course. I liked Buckeye right after the Alpines and the Oxford shows excellent, too.

That Louisville show was nice, too. I remember the second set opener was "Louie, Louie" and the "Stella Blue" stands out (in my hazy recollection).

For me I'd have to include both "Formerly The Warlocks" shows from Hampton in '89, the "St. Stephen" Hartford '83 show (10-15-83, probably SPAC '85, and I'll null the fifth one over.

That might be my way of saying I never really saw any standout shows.......so I'm including the overall experience of the entire deal ;) ..........you're right about the Louisville show....Louie Louie opened 2nd set. Drove straight back to Chicago when that one was over, it helps seeing at night when pupils are extra wide.

You saw the Warlocks show? Color me jealous.....

That might be my way of saying I never really saw any standout shows.......so I'm including the overall experience of the entire deal ;) ..........you're right about the Louisville show....Louie Louie opened 2nd set. Drove straight back to Chicago when that one was over, it helps seeing at night when pupils are extra wide.

You saw the Warlocks show? Color me jealous.....

And the experience at the show is the point, so that's great that those Alpines ring true with you. I had an absolute blast out there (even with the insanely baking heat), too.

I was living in VA at the time of the Warlocks shows and (IIRC) you could only purchase tix at box offices in VA. I picked up a bunch for out of state pals and it was an amazing two days of shows. Electricity was apparent and in the air both outside and inside the shows.

If you havent already, check out the novella in the Compendium written about the Field Trip, 8/27/72. The author has thought way way too much about that show. Dont get me wrong though........its a great concert made better after viewing Sunshine Daydream. I sure wish there was more footage from shows like that out there. Imagine having concerts from the Avalon 68 or whatnot available........

I've read it. I have the film. The other day I was thinking about the April 2001 of Relix where David Lemieux talks about the film coming out officially, among other things.

Link

April 13 - April 19, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Welcome back, and we hope you're having a happy Spring. This week we have two big jams from 1971, and a cool jam from 1978.

Our first stop this week is on 4/13/71 at the Scranton Catholic Youth Center in beautiful Scranton, PA, home of everyone's favourite American paper company. From this show we have a unique pairing of Truckin'>Drums>Good Lovin'. This was a good little tour, with the band starting and finishing the tour in New York City, opening with three nights at the Manhattan Center and ending with five nights at the Fillmore East. Things were still a little tentative at times with only one drummer, but this opened up the music to allow it to change direction a little faster, and with so many great new songs added to the repertoire in February, 1971, it was a good time for the Grateful Dead.

Next up, from the very next night on 4/14/71 at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA, we have the second set jam of Cryptical Envelopment>Drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat, Hard To Handle. Although Wharf Rat was still rather new, it was a magnificent addition to the playlist from the beginning.

Our final stop this week is at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena on 4/18/78, where the band played this cool post-Drums sequence of Samson and Delilah, Terrapin Station>Around and Around. The first half of this tour is not in the vault (4/6/78 to 4/16/78), but the remainder (4/18/78 to 5/17/78) is, so we have plenty of great music to select from on this at-times very inspired tour (see: 5/10 and 5/11/78). We'll have a little more from this tour next week.

Thanks for stopping in, and we'll look forward to seeing you next week. As always, we encourage you to write with questions or comments to the address below. Please include "Grateful Dead" in your email subject line to make sure it makes it through the spam filters.

David Lemieux

And

THE DEAD Presents TOURING THE UNIVERSE OF SOUND

Celebrating the rhythmic power of the planets and the stars, The Dead brings "Touring the Universe of Sound" to the web! You can check out the preview info and images, then after each show of The Dead's '09 Spring Tour, sound clips will be added to the site, representing different planets and cosmic events like the big bang, the rings of saturn, that the band will be interacting with!

For all the details and to enjoy this sonic tour, click here.

Isn't the best show always the next show (at least back in the day...)?

I like this idea. It'd be interesting (challenging, too) to try and pare down the enormous catalog of shows to a top ten. It'd also be interesting to list top 5 shows attended....

OK, this is mostly off the top of my head...I divided up the GD into specific eras (my own judgement!) and picked one of my favorites from each one. Here goes!

1) '65- Fall '67 (pre-Mickey) : nada...I'm not real crazy on the first 2 years, although some '66 shows deserve mention (9/16, for example).

2) Fall '67- Fall '68 (pre-TC) : both 11/10/67 & 2/14/68 are killers...Mickey has taken the thing to uncharted waters..

3) Fall '68 - Winter '70 (TC era) : 2/28/69. My favorite Pig era show, no question.

4) Winter '70 - Fall '71 (the quintessental quintet) : 5/2/70. How could ANYONE argue this show?

5) Fall '71 - NYE '72 (Keith joins) : 8/24/72 : I know this one is overshadowed by Veneta, and much of the Fall '72 Tour, but this one always gets my attention - the Star > Dew combo is quite unique, and the rest of the show smokes as well...

6) Feb '73 - Oct. '74 : This is the hardest one to choose, but I'll stand by 6/10/73 (with the Allmans) as I have for 25 years.

7) Summer '76 - Spring '79 (the "Keith & Donna Years") : 5/19/77 - 'just exactly perfect'

8) Spring '79 - NYE '85 (Early Brent Years) : 6/30/84 - for mostly sentimental reasons (my fave show I ever attended), but an outstanding set 1, plus a second set where JG is on throughout, not the usual occurrence at that time. Seriously, set 2 is amazing!

9) '86 - Summer '90 (until Brent's passing) : Again, hard to argue with what happened on 3/29/90...Branford takes the show beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

10) Fall '90 - Spring '92 (post Brent - the Hornsby era) : 12/31/90 - is this the best of all NYE shows? I dunno, but with both Bruce & Branford it's hard to top!

11) Spring '92 - Summer '95 (Vince era) : again, I'm real fond of the 6/28/92 Deer Creek show because I was there...a PERFECT set 1, and set 2 is pretty dam amazing as well - props to 5/26/93 too - you HAVE to hear the Playin' from that one!

Whew! I'm done...next? :stunned

http://www.archive.org/details/thedead2009-04-12

I'm currently listening to Music and damn pleasantly surprised sounds way tighter then the last go round. Actually got me on ticketmaster looking for tickets. Still don't think i'll be able to make it happen.

haha, i was doing the same thing last night. tickets to NYC from NC are only $135 (tax included) which is much cheaper than the usual $215 price tag. however, the only seats available at MSG are the nose bleeds... this is such a painful decision.

Yesterday, I should have said that I usually check out the show when someone gives a date or post a link. There are many paths on the road of discovery.

I managed to get my hands on this last night:

Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings

Sometimes, I don't feel bad about how I get things, particularly after seeing this:

Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings - 1 new from $2,449.99 2 used from $799.00 3 collectible from $935.00

Yesterday, I should have said that I usually check out the show when someone gives a date or post a link. There are many paths on the road of discovery.

I managed to get my hands on this last night:

Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings

Sometimes, I don't feel bad about how I get things, particularly after seeing this:

Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings - 1 new from $2,449.99 2 used from $799.00 3 collectible from $935.00

Those prices are ridicules. I was lucky enough to purchase it when it went on sale up on dead.net. It is a limited edition, so obtaining ripped versions only hurts re-sellers, not the Dead organization (my opinion of course). It's a great set of music, but man those prices...

(set 1)

Cassidy

Passenger

Pride Of Cucamonga

Easy Wind (Warren vocals)

Lazy River Road

Alabama Getaway (Warren vocals)

Big Railroad Blue

(set 2)

Peggy-O (acoustic)

Glory Road (acoustic)

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall (acoustic)

Jam>

Dark Star>

King Solomon's Marbles>

Drums with Tipper Gore>

Space>

Come Together>

Dark Star>

Sugar Magnolia

(encore)

Uncle John's Band>

Ripple

Tipper Gore, its not a joke its just disturbing.

Tipper Gore, huh? I'll bet Jerry & Frank got a good chuckle on that.

Tipper Gore, huh? I'll bet Jerry & Frank got a good chuckle on that.

I think Frank probably vomited.

I'm excited to hear this

Jam>

Dark Star>

King Solomon's Marbles>

Drums with Tipper Gore>

Space>

Have you listened to greensboro yet?