The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say the show hit its peak mid way through that dancing right through space.

I couldn't listen last night, I was passed out at 8:30 trying to recover from the night before in Albany. I'm not going to bother putting this in the After section, only you folks will be interested.

It was OK. The crowd was really good, actually. I was expecting a lot of youths on X, but it was a good, well behaved, but exuberant bunch. Sound sucked near the back, we went up front for the rest of the first set, then to the 2nd row for the beginning of the 2nd. 1st set was quite good, high point being Sugaree. 2nd set was a little weaker, got a little dragged out, not sure who they were really playing to. They lost most of the crowd a few times. I was wondering if it was just me because I like songs, you know, that end when another one starts. But later at night when we were debriefing at the hotel it was the generally agreed, and this was with people who were happy with spacier aspects of their youth if you get my meaning and don't care as much for song structure as I do. Warren was trying to reign it in a little, with Bobby totally ignoring his prodding. Phil was spectacular and Jeff played along well. Drums I thought were a little weak or low in the mix, I couldn't tell. And songs that Bobby should've owned like Lovelight, lacked punctuation. They played until 11:45 which amazed me, I though 11 was the going curfew.

So, I'm glad I went, but I don't need to make a huge effort to see more shows on the tour.

Edit: another thing I thought I'd mention, they finished up with Lovelight-in the past-way past-that I've heard and seen that, when they get to the clapping part, the band fades out, audience clapping continues until the band comes back in, finishes the song, sometimes into another song. Friday, the band faded out, audience clapping continued, then really bright stage lights went on, house lights came on, and the band went to the front of the stage for a group bow and photo, in complete brightness. No finish to the song. Very weird.

Milestones>

Terripan Station

Very nice. I'd like to her that segue.

>I was wondering if it was just me because I like songs, you know, that end when another one starts.

You wouldn't care for Phil & Friends show then. Each set is one long segue. It's great when the segues work, but can be tough when it's just noodling.

I haven't listened to Albany yet but the other shows feature little noodling, there have been a few times jams just didn't go anywhere (but they were still in the song structure). Up until last night which had an 8 song second set most of the shows have featured a large space section in the second set. I guess its not for everyone but I love me some space, :stunned

Edit: another thing I thought I'd mention, they finished up with Lovelight-in the past-way past-that I've heard and seen that, when they get to the clapping part, the band fades out, audience clapping continues until the band comes back in, finishes the song, sometimes into another song. Friday, the band faded out, audience clapping continued, then really bright stage lights went on, house lights came on, and the band went to the front of the stage for a group bow and photo, in complete brightness. No finish to the song. Very weird.

Sure you're not thinking of NFA with the clapping at the end of the tune/second set-> encore?

I've got no issues with bending tunes into one another and not "completing" them, per se. As long as it sounds decent I can handle it.

Yes, of course I meant NFA.

I'd seen the Dead with Jerry 25-30 times, I'm no stranger to Space and noodling. Maybe age has taken away my attention span, maybe I'm not doing the right drugs anymore. Whatever, the 1st set was much better, the 2nd got away from them and the audience too. $100? I can't do it twice.

Yes, of course I meant NFA.

I'd seen the Dead with Jerry 25-30 times, I'm no stranger to Space and noodling. Maybe age has taken away my attention span, maybe I'm not doing the right drugs anymore. Whatever, the 1st set was much better, the 2nd got away from them and the audience too. $100? I can't do it twice.

I feel you on the 100 dollars part.

ETA: I just my tickets right after i posted that. I only payed fifty but these are 100 dollar seats. I can't believe they are charging on hundred to sit on the opposite side of the arena, second level 8 rows back.

4/19/09

I: Here Comes Sunshine, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Alligator, Deal, Hell in a Bucket, Cream Puff War > Good Lovin

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain > Drums > Space > Satisfaction > Born Cross-Eyed > Slipknot! > Let It Grow > Uncle John's Band > The Wheel > Turn On Your Lovelight

E: Samson and Delilah

looks like the best sets of the tour

by all accounts the band is rocking, but the vocal are weak

looking forward to MSG

4/19/09

I: Here Comes Sunshine, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Alligator, Deal, Hell in a Bucket, Cream Puff War > Good Lovin

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain > Drums > Space > Satisfaction > Born Cross-Eyed > Slipknot! > Let It Grow > Uncle John's Band > The Wheel > Turn On Your Lovelight

looking forward to MSG

On paper, this looks fantastic! That post-space part is a dream setlist for sure.

4/19/09

looking forward to MSG

wow, buncha older songs! i've yet to venture into their repertoire from this era except for a soundboard i have from '66 i believe. i'm a sucker for the organ driven jams from then.

just bought my first GD DVD (Truckin' Up to Buffalo) and its sooo amazing! Borders had it for 50% off and i couldn't pass it up. i have a cheap little Walmart 5.1 setup and the sound is just spectacular. its really awesome seeing the camaraderie b/w the guys. after thousands of gigs, ol' Jerry still grins like its their first show. and that Cold Rain and Snow gives me chills...its beautiful.

i know there are a handful of GD DVDs out there but was just wondering if you all could recommend which one i should pick up next. thinking about the Closing of the Winterland or maybe the GD Movie.

just bought my first GD DVD (Truckin' Up to Buffalo) and its sooo amazing! Borders had it for 50% off and i couldn't pass it up. i have a cheap little Walmart 5.1 setup and the sound is just spectacular. its really awesome seeing the camaraderie b/w the guys. after thousands of gigs, ol' Jerry still grins like its their first show. and that Cold Rain and Snow gives me chills...its beautiful.

i know there are a handful of GD DVDs out there but was just wondering if you all could recommend which one i should pick up next. thinking about the Closing of the Winterland or maybe the GD Movie.

The best you can find for free on google video "Sunshine Daydream" its from august 27 in oregon and sublime is the only word to describe it

It depends on which "era" you like

I love the View from the vault iv because it captures the time when I went to a ton of shows-only complaint is that the vid is made from the diamond vision feed and they include the psychedelic effects

the closing of winterland is fantastic

as is dead ahead (acoustic sets from Radio city)-only complaint-not a complete show, but excerpts from the week long run

The best you can find for free on google video "Sunshine Daydream" its from august 27 in oregon and sublime is the only word to describe it

watched the first part of this last night! i have a copy of this show and its one of my favs.

those View from the Vaults shows seem pretty interesting. i was always a bit hesitant of the band's later years but was pleasantly surprised by that July 4, 1989 show.

there's so much to choose from but there ain't enough $...it ain't fair. :pirate

Seriously, if you do not have the GD Movie, you MUST acquire it by hook or by crook. The DVD extras (interviews) are excellent.

The NYE '78 Winterland is a must as well. :thumbup

Seriously, if you do not have the GD Movie, you MUST acquire it by hook or by crook. The DVD extras (interviews) are excellent.

The NYE '78 Winterland is a must as well. :thumbup

I concur Id say these are the two most essential official dvds. Anyone remember hearing about an offical release of SSD? I hear there is footage of that incredible Sing Me Back Home.

I watched a few dvds this past weekend (my dvd player shit the bed last year and I finally got a new one) and still really like all of the discs (watched Oakland/Anaheim '87). The Grateful Dead movie, though, is probably my least favorite. I'm not into the whole faux-trippy stuff they try to pull in it. The same with the 80s/90s concerts when they do trails and shit. I like just nice camera angles and the footage of the band playing.

The Winterland dvds are a must-own, though. Every song is absolutely full blown rocked/played.

I watched a few dvds this past weekend (my dvd player shit the bed last year and I finally got a new one) and still really like all of the discs (watched Oakland/Anaheim '87). The Grateful Dead movie, though, is probably my least favorite. I'm not into the whole faux-trippy stuff they try to pull in it. The same with the 80s/90s concerts when they do trails and shit. I like just nice camera angles and the footage of the band playing.

The Winterland dvds are a must-own, though. Every song is absolutely full blown rocked/played.

Is that the black and white footage by way of Bill Graham's in-house closed circuit video taping?

I concur Id say these are the two most essential official dvds. Anyone remember hearing about an offical release of SSD? I hear there is footage of that incredible Sing Me Back Home.

It was discussed in that Relix interview with David some years ago - but nothing has been mentioned since, as far as I know.

Is that the black and white footage by way of Bill Graham's in-house closed circuit video taping?

Which one, A-man?

I guess I should also say that I haven't seen the GD Movie since it was only available on vhs, so maybe I need to watch the refurbished shit before I comment....

Which one, A-man?

I guess I should also say that I haven't seen the GD Movie since it was only available on vhs, so maybe I need to watch the refurbished shit before I comment....

The Winterland film.