The Grateful Dead

I thought this article from the Trib by Greg Kot might be of interest here...

LouieB

Thanks for the link lou, don't know if youll check back in this thread but in all shows youve attended did you ever catch the dead?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Anyone have a favorite piece of space?

Almost all of the spaces from the September 1990 MSG run are exceptional. They were not the typical spaces, but a means to "explore" in a variety of combos with Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby, who had just began playing with the band. It all led up to a stellar Dark Star on 9/20/90.

Thanks for the link lou, don't know if youll check back in this thread but in all shows youve attended did you ever catch the dead?

Actually despite my somewhat hippie background and liking the Dead well enough I never attended a Dead concert; saw Jerry Garcia once play a double bill with Frank Zappa. I suppose I should have gone, but I was just too much into the blues, folk, and jazz to bother. (Not that I didn't catch plenty of rock acts over the years however....who the fuck knows why I didn't but I didn't.)

LouieB

About a month after the fact I finally got the Terrapin and RT Vol2 No2 in the mail today. Evidently they sent my order to Missouri! Better late than never I guess.

edit: Oh man. The RT2 bonus tracks include TWO, count 'em TWO 20+ minute versions of Viola Lee Blues. Can anything be better than this?

Actually despite my somewhat hippie background and liking the Dead well enough I never attended a Dead concert; saw Jerry Garcia once play a double bill with Frank Zappa. I suppose I should have gone, but I was just too much into the blues, folk, and jazz to bother. (Not that I didn't catch plenty of rock acts over the years however....who the fuck knows why I didn't but I didn't.)

LouieB

Was the JGB/FZ double bill Chicago '84? I have a cassette of that around here somewhere.

I have to say that Clementine is another one of those songs I can listen to more than once. Why they dropped this song is a mystery to me. It spoke to me the very first time I heard it on So Many Roads. (Crystal Ballroom, Portland, Oregon, Feb 2 1968 - which happened to be the day after my 2nd birthday)

About a month after the fact I finally got the Terrapin and RT Vol2 No2 in the mail today. Evidently they sent my order to Missouri! Better late than never I guess.

edit: Oh man. The RT2 bonus tracks include TWO, count 'em TWO 20+ minute versions of Viola Lee Blues. Can anything be better than this?

For me those two releases are the best of the recent Road Trip/Rhino releases. The sound is great, esp. on the 68 show. That short Dark Star from Portland is great filler on Disk 1. It's a bummer it took so long to get to you.

If I heard it correctly on the Grateful Dead XM channel, they will be broadcasting one of the Spectrum shows this Fri. or Sat. I just caught the last bit of the spot this afternoon. Can't find it anywhere on the web to confirm, though.

Edit:

David Gans posted this over on dead.net

On April 25th, 2009 dgans said:

Saturday, May 2.

I got tickets for the 4th here in Chicago, so it will be nice to at least hear the show before the Chicago show.

For me those two releases are the best of the recent Road Trip/Rhino releases. The sound is great, esp. on the 68 show. That short Dark Star from Portland is great filler on Disk 1. It's a bummer it took so long to get to you.

glad to read some nice things about this new Road Trip. just ordered it off dead.net along with Dick's Picks #8! its gonna be a wonderful weekend.

btw, why are people charging so much for these Dick's Picks releases when the official site has pretty much every one of them for $21- $25? was at a used cd store a while back and they had one of the later Dick's Picks, 34 i believe, and they wanted $30 for it! there's also some Amazon.com sellers asking some outrageous prices for their copies.

Oh My !

Show is up already at bt etree too

The Dead

April 28, 2009

IZOD Center

East Rutherford,NJ

FIRST SET:

01.US Blues

02.Scarlet Begonias

03.Fire on the Mountain*

04.Bird Song*

05.Stranger*

06.High Time

07.Lovelight*

SECOND SET:

01.New Potato caboose* >

02.Estimated Prophet* >

03.Milestones* >

04.drums > space* >

05.Dear Mr. fantasy* >

06.Dark Star* (second verse)

07.Eyes of the world*

08.Franklin's Tower*

* = with Branford Marsalis

I wouldn't have played on US Snooze either Branford

saw Jerry Garcia once play a double bill with Frank Zappa.

Now that sounds interesting. :thumbup

I just got the To Terrapin release last week. I like it a lot, but I do have to admit that I still haven't figured out what it is about spring of '77 that gets people speaking in hushed tones. Its good, but at times seems to lack some punch--to my ears, at least. It is fascinating how everyone has different eras that speak to them more than others.

Oh - I rather like that song. Particularly, when watching the band play it in the The Grateful Dead movie.

I like US Blues too, especially opening a show with it. Don't think that happen too often with The Grateful Dead.

On Lamberts and Gans' show Tales from the Golden Road on XM, they always talk about trying to track down the guys in the movie who were arguing about the the idea of a Grateful Dead movie and talk to them. I think it would also be fun to talk to the guy who was mouthing the US Blues from the movie, also. It cracks me up every time I watch it.

US Blues as an encore was often a good reason to beat the rush back to the lot.

True dat, but by the 90's I almost wished for the song - Liberty or Law were LAME encores.

Was the JGB/FZ double bill Chicago '84? I have a cassette of that around here somewhere.
That sounds about right. It was at the UIC pavillion. I didn't think Jerry was having a very good day, but it could well be that the sound in the Pavillion had issues.

It was a funny split audience. We thought Jerry and Frank might play together, but of course that was stupid. Frank was pretty anti-drug and of course Jerry was not. Jerry opened for Frank, but ultimately Frank's performance was better, but then again I guess that was because I was way more into Frank.

LouieB

I like US Blues too, especially opening a show with it. Don't think that happen too often with The Grateful Dead.

On Lamberts and Gans' show Tales from the Golden Road on XM, they always talk about trying to track down the guys in the movie who were arguing about the the idea of a Grateful Dead movie and talk to them. I think it would also be fun to talk to the guy who was mouthing the US Blues from the movie, also. It cracks me up every time I watch it.

I never saw the band live - so all I have to go on is what I see on film or what I listen to on cd, or whatever. We were talking about those guys a while back.

I suppose it is a reflection of the state of the country at the time.

That sounds about right. It was at the UIC pavillion. I didn't think Jerry was having a very good day, but it could well be that the sound in the Pavillion had issues.

It was a funny split audience. We thought Jerry and Frank might play together, but of course that was stupid. Frank was pretty anti-drug and of course Jerry was not. Jerry opened for Frank, but ultimately Frank's performance was better, but then again I guess that was because I was way more into Frank.

LouieB

Jerry wasn't having a very good YEAR in '84. :ohwell I mean, there are shows where he played like a demon, but if you read about his personal problems from that time it would scare the fuck out of you. Crosby had nothin' on JG - it's just amazing he didn't die right then.

LouieB

Thanks, Lou.

Below is a link on info of the show from the Jerry Site.

http://www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/1764

LouieB

Thats pretty much what my buddy said about that show too.

He also said it was the weirdest looking crowd he's ever seen.......

I like Liberty. I always wanted to see them do Liberty-> Dignity (Dylan).

When I saw Ratdog a couple summers ago, Liberty was the only song all night that Bobby didn't speak-sing his way through--he really went all out on it. So for at least one night Liberty seemed the most rocking song ever. :lol

When I saw Ratdog a couple summers ago, Liberty was the only song all night that Bobby didn't speak-sing his way through--he really went all out on it. So for at least one night Liberty seemed the most rocking song ever. :lol

never really cared for the song when the dead played it

but I really like when ratdog does

strange but true