The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what it was I saw on PBS a few years ago then. It was grainy black and white film - I thought it was the Winterland film. I recall thinking why would someone pay money to buy the dvd.

I wonder what it was I saw on PBS a few years ago then. It was grainy black and white film - I thought it was the Winterland film. I recall thinking why would someone pay money to buy the dvd.

winterland is definitely in color. I believe it was shot for PBS.

there is this black and white footage i know of http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7266558837777750405 4/26/1977 which is from the capitol theatre, i belive there is a solo JGB show from there in B&W as well.

As for the grateful dead movie, i thought the only "trippy" stuff was the opening cartoon?

What I saw was some Grateful Dead Donna era B&W film - it was being shown on PBS during a pledge drive - which is the only time they ever show such things.

Thats odd they aired that considering the dvd is in color and all cleaned up. Some of those graham videos are great, I have a CSN show from the mid seventies and midway through neil makes a surprise appearance. I heard a while back that wolfgangs vault was gonna start releasing that stuff don't know what happened there.

so apparently this is what happens when billy writes the setlist

The Dead

2009-04-21

HSBC Arena

Buffalo, NY

Set 1:

The Promised Land

They Love Each Other

Mama Tried

Loser

Smokestack Lightnin' >

Stella Blue >

It's All Over Now

Big River

Set 2:

Jam >

Playing In The Band >

Me & Bobby McGee

Loose Lucy

Ramble On Rose >

Drumz >

Space >

Maggie's Farm >

Eyes of The World >

Playing In The Band (reprise)

Encore: Donor Rap

Truckin'

and this one was phil

The Dead

4/19/2008

DCU Center

Worchester, MA

Set 1:

Here Comes Sunshine

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Alligator

Deal

Hell In A Bucket

Cream Puff War >

Good Lovin'

Set 2:

Scarlet Begonias >

Fire On The Mountain >

Drumz >

Satisfaction >

Born Cross-Eyed >

Slipknot! >

Let It Grow >

Uncle John's Band >

The Wheel >

Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: Donor Rap

Samson & Delilah

ETA: currently listening to 4/19 pretty good http://www.archive.org/details/dead2009-04-19.akg489.flac so far id say it was better then the 4/18 show. Phil is coming in loud and clear on this recording.

>so apparently this is what happens when billy writes the setlist

Are they taking turns?

Thats what I hear. Supposedly billy said this on XM. If I remember right I herd that in 03 bobby and phil were taking turns.

Thats odd they aired that considering the dvd is in color and all cleaned up. Some of those graham videos are great, I have a CSN show from the mid seventies and midway through neil makes a surprise appearance. I heard a while back that wolfgangs vault was gonna start releasing that stuff don't know what happened there.

the DVD was 12/31/78, and the dead had previously broadcast over PBS

the DVD was 12/31/78, and the dead had previously broadcast over PBS

Ah-ha

ETA: I'm listening to the 4/19 set and while good I think Satisfaction is the last thing I'd want to hear coming out of space. Especially this take, Bob fucking sing for gods sake. BOBBY LET BOBSTAR SING!

Ah-ha

ETA: I'm listening to the 4/19 set and while good I think Satisfaction is the last thing I'd want to hear coming out of space. Especially this take, Bob fucking sing for gods sake. BOBBY LET BOBSTAR SING!

better than come together and truthfully, bobs voice has gotten much weaker in the last two years

he talks verses nowadays

4/19 is really good and warren sounds a lot better than I expected. Its nice to hear fire with out Mickey rapping :D

Since it's the 40th anniversary of the run, I have to mention how much I love the 3 nights at Boston's The Ark (4/21, 22 & 23). It gets overshadowed by the Fillmore West run in Feb/Mar, but it's a cryin' shame this run didn't get the DP treatment. I won't post all the setlists, but they are as sick as it gets. The Dark Star from the 22nd might be my favorite from Spring '69. The Viola Lee encore from the first night is raggedly beautiful. Set One from the last night is unreal.

The dude who introduces them on the last night says something like this: "I'd never heard these guys live before the first night, and they got me to thinking....after the second night I was convinced...so I want you to welcome the greatest fucking band in the whole world! The Grateful Dead!"

Indeed.

checking out those Ark shows now. very cool. and those are some pretty crazy setlists. i've never heard anything like that Viola Lee Blues before from 4/21!

you guys should def. compile a list of your top 10 fav shows. there's sooooo much out there for newcomers, like myself, to sift through and lists would really help. :thumbup

4/22/09

wilkes-barre, pa

I: Jam > Mr. Charlie, Stagger Lee, Liberty, Candyman, Me and My Uncle, Built to Last, Tennessee Jed, Dire Wolf

II: Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion > Revolution, Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Aiko Aiko > Drums > Caution > Jam > So Many Roads > In the Midnight Hour

E: Box of Rain

I've read about that show in the Taper's book. The guy's blog you linked to is a pretty cool deal. I have mentioned it a few times in this thread. I download his podcast and listen to them with Winamp.

Willie opened for Phil & Friends at Red Rocks a few years ago. Kind of a weird mix.

The GD= nothin' but a jug band.

I saw willie open for the dead in 03. WHen the dead came out willie was in towe, he must have been stoned out of his gourd cause he just sat in the back with his guitar the whole time, barely played a note, let a lone a solo.

ETA:

So i was looking through my shows and noticed that the first show i had with a segment labeled space was from 1980. I was curious if anyone knew when "space" started.

A rather nice post by Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/tur...d-live-on-.html

From it:

Remix, remake, reinvent: Were the Dead the first modern rock band? Like all artists, the Dead borrowed freely from the music and traditions that preceded them. But a strong case could be made that no band worked with a wider palette or blended the colors more audaciously. By constantly reinventing itself through its music, the band remained relevant across the decades. Under the rubric of
So i was looking through my shows and noticed that the first show i had with a segment labeled space was from 1980. I was curious if anyone knew when "space" started.

Omitting the "feedback" stuff they were doing around '69 I wanna say '72 was to beginnings of Drums-> Space. Could be off a year or two, though.

The GD= nothin' but a lame -assed jug band.

Fixed it for ya. :thumbup

Omitting the "feedback" stuff they were doing around '69 I wanna say '72 was to beginnings of Drums-> Space. Could be off a year or two, though.

I'll look it up, but I do think the label "Space" first started being used in the Fall of '77 (maybe 10/29?)