The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of my DeadBases even list space, just Drums....

Did tapers come up the term Space or did The Grateful Dead themselves. The first time album I noticed the term Space on was on Dead Set. Were tapes labeled as such before then?

I think there is some talk of that in the first volume of the Taping Compendium.

Yeah, I just grabbed them and the 2nd edition states that the Drums/Space segment was established in 1978.

wanted to remind everyone that The Dead will be on Letterman soon. got the DVR set as i'm currently wrapped up in the Hartford '77 show.

care to place bets on what they're gonna play? i'm thinkin Touch of Grey. they played Friend of the Devil on the View so doubt they'll do that one again.

Yeah, I just grabbed them and the 2nd edition states that the Drums/Space segment was established in 1978.

As a standard part of the sets, yes. I'm pretty sure they did some shows with Drums-> Space-like jams as early as '72, and definitely '74....

Yeah. Atonal, "space" music has been an important part of the Dead almost since inception - it really sets them apart from nearly any other band (at least in the U.S.). I think we can all thank Mr. Lesh for that - they would've been just a great RxR band if not for Phil's avant-garde obsessions.

they shoulda skipped the Dead and kept Lauren Conrad out longer. :wub

only kidding! kind of... anyways, wondering when/ if Sunshine Daydream will pop up now?

Would be kinda interesting if they open up tonight's show with it.

Thanks, while the dead have always improvised I wonder what prompted the start dedicating a portion of the second set to this avant garde music. Does it state what was the first date?

Anyone have a favorite piece of space?

One of mine is the Soace-> into St.Stephen from 10-15-83. The build up is intense.

I always dug The Wheel out of Space, too.

Thats the hartford bust out right? weren't you at that show?

Thats the hartford bust out right? weren't you at that show?

Correct and yes. Sentimental reasons but I also remember that night very intently listening for the first hint of Stephen as they'd done it in MSG a few nights earlier out of Space. The lead up still gives me shivers.

Correct and yes. Sentimental reasons but I also remember that night very intently listening for the first hint of Stephen as they'd done it in MSG a few nights earlier out of Space. The lead up still gives me shivers.

I believe this was the first dead show Trey went too. I can't even imagine the energy in the room when that hit. I'm throwing this on my ipod and checking it out on my way to work.

Space was always more enjoyable live. It was more sonic and dimensional. It was also fun to watch some of the heads really get swept up in it. I don't think I've ever listened to more than a minute or two on a tape.

>I always dug The Wheel out of Space, too.

Yes, nice and slow.

Mickey gave an interview to the Newark (NJ) Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/inde...till_going.html

I found this part interesting:

Q: What are your memories of the 2004 tour?

A. That, to me, was very chaotic. There were personal differences that hadn't been worked out, and political power plays where each guy's manager would try to make the best of it for his guy. We ended up in this management hell, and we couldn't make heads or tails out of it. So we all got out of the manager thing. We took all of that away, and gave it all to one person who we mutually trusted to be the umpire.

Q: Would you ever consider another studio album?

A. Absolutely. There hasn't been any talk of that, although I have thought about it. I think we have to play a lot on the road and find this band, and find this music, with this renewed energy, and take it from there. I think getting back on the carousel too quickly might not be in the best interest of the music, or anything else.

Q: Would you ever consider another studio album?

A. Absolutely. There hasn't been any talk of that, although I have thought about it. I think we have to play a lot on the road and find this band, and find this music, with this renewed energy, and take it from there. I think getting back on the carousel too quickly might not be in the best interest of the music, or anything else.

Could they do it? Do they even have an interest in new music? I find it weird how little material has come out in the past 15 years, but then again they weren't exactly cranking them out at the end either.

I believe this was the first dead show Trey went too. I can't even imagine the energy in the room when that hit. I'm throwing this on my ipod and checking it out on my way to work.

So I checked it out, the space was really cool, was not expecting the melodic playing from bob and jerry, very cool very chill. The Throwing Stones was really good as well.

I found this soundboard at archive thats up, i don't know why it wasn't taken down but you can download it.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1983-10-1...-aud.12617.shnf

Set one from tonight is streaming now at http://www.gdradio.net/

Enjoy!

ETA: Currently listening to the Baby Blue, the cut isn't bad one thing is missing: a solid lead. Warren is way to tentative, I know its been said before but its a damn shame they don't have Sless or Kimcock on lead.

Thanks, while the dead have always improvised I wonder what prompted the start dedicating a portion of the second set to this avant garde music. Does it state what was the first date?

Anyone have a favorite piece of space?

I really really like the spaces from Brent's first year or two with the band. See "Dead Set" or Dick's #5 (12/26/79) for commercially released examples. Brent's use of synths during those years really make for a far-out sound.