The Grateful Dead

Calvino: Was the "Hard Rain" the Bobby/Ratdog version or the Phil/P&F version or neither? I've always really, really liked the P&F version (great lilting rhythm) compared to the Ratdog version (slow and waning).

re: the setlists. Besides Drums/Space the setlists are really nothing compared to the GD ones, which makes sense. They're truly just an amalgamation of songs. The China Cat-> no rider has been done by ratdog and P & F a bunch with the Rider oftyen popping up at the next show.

I never heard Phil's Band version, but I have heard Ratdog play it and it sounded similar to Ratdog. It did plod along a bit, but I thought it sounded good. The house sound of the vocals were not the best; it hampered this song.

I did like the China into Crossed-Eyed, a nice surprise. Built To Last was another one that did not do much for me, but Pride of Cucamonga was great.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i take it puffing was no problem.

I did not have a problem nor did I see anyone else having issues. I did see one guy getting yanked, inside (but he looked liked he needed it).

I did like the China into Crossed-Eyed, a nice surprise. Built To Last was another one that did not do much for me, but Pride of Cucamonga was great.

Built To Last is quite possibly my least favorite Hunter/Garcia song. It's no coincidence that the tune disappeared rather quickly after it came out.

I LOVES me some Weather Report Suite.

(Set 1)

Dancing In The Streets

Tennessee Jed

Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)

Mr. Charlie

They Love Each Other

Touch of Grey

Weather Report Suite

(Set 2)

Truckin'

Throwing Stones

Unbroken Chain

Drums

Space

Come Together

Hell In A Bucket

I Know You Rider

(Encore)

Brokedown Palace

(Set 1)

Dancing In The Streets

Tennessee Jed

Mr. Charlie

They Love Each Other

Touch of Grey

Weather Report Suite

(Set 2)

Truckin'

Throwing Stones

Unbroken Chain

Drums

Space

Come Together

Hell In A Bucket

I Know You Rider

(Encore)

Brokedown Palace

As do I, great great great first set. Second Set started off great with Truckin', the rest of the set was mediocore, not bad but weird second set tunes (oh the unbroken chain was awesome). Not enough space for this cats liking. I'll tell more when i got the time.

(Set 1)

Dancing In The Streets

Tennessee Jed

Mr. Charlie

They Love Each Other

Touch of Grey

Weather Report Suite

(Set 2)

Truckin'

Throwing Stones

Unbroken Chain

Drums

Space

Come Together

Hell In A Bucket

I Know You Rider

(Encore)

Brokedown Palace

up on bt.etree

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524886

I haven't heard it yet.

Went to JGB last night and Kreutzman sat in the entire show. It was his birthay, too. He was havin' a blast. Drinks everywhere. They play again (JGB) today from 3-6 before the show. Yip yip!

Went to JGB

I'll admit I don't follow this the way I used to but how is there a JGB without JG? Who is in the band? Do they play the same songs the Garcia Band used to play only with different guitar players/singers?

I'll admit I don't follow this the way I used to but how is there a JGB without JG? Who is in the band? Do they play the same songs the Garcia Band used to play only with different guitar players/singers?

Obviously a weird name. Melvin Seals and the back up gals are the hold-overs. Stu Allen plays a mean, mean guitar and has a great voice for the tunes. Taken with a grain of salt it's an enjoyable event hearing these chesnuts played. They basically play bars/small clubs and it's just an all around fun time to hear some great music in another form.

Obviously a weird name. Melvin Seals and the back up gals are the hold-overs. Stu Allen plays a mean, mean guitar and has a great voice for the tunes. Taken with a grain of salt it's an enjoyable event hearing these chesnuts played. They basically play bars/small clubs and it's just an all around fun time to hear some great music in another form.

Where are they playing this afternoon?

Will do. I believe there are still tix available (though they may be behind the stage....). Also, look at craigslist. I saw a shit load on there a few weeks back.

Just saw this, thanks Lammy! There are a ton on Craigs list, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Where are they playing this afternoon?

Just saw this, thanks Lammy! There are a ton on Craigs list, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Owsley's 3-6.

Yes. Pull that trigger. Billy's birthday/set list tonight, too.

Owsley's 3-6.

Yes. Pull that trigger. Billy's birthday/set list tonight, too.

You guys are in for a treat. That set last night sounds awesome, what did they play?

So I'm finally taking a trip to San Fran after years of wanting. Leading up to the trip, I am going back and enjoying my GD catalog. (What a great time of reminiscing my days of HS and college) Anyway, I want to expand my collection. I live in a city of about 250,000 people and we do not have an "independent" record store, so I am forced to check out Best Buy and Hastings. NOTHING! Just a handful of greatest hits.

I have found myself struck in a spoiled brat situation. I want what I want right now and if it means buying mp3s from Steve Jobs I am willing to do it. However, I would love for some of you audiophiles to encourage me to take the time to order vinyl and enjoy the shit like it should be enjoyed or reinforce the fact that listening to Jerry and the boys on my iPod with phones is almost as good. (Not to mention I will burn that shit to a cd)

All I need is some encouragement either way. (While Dead Set Live is downloading now) :dancing

Thanks

So I'm finally taking a trip to San Fran after years of wanting. Leading up to the trip, I am going back and enjoying my GD catalog. (What a great time of reminiscing my days of HS and college) Anyway, I want to expand my collection. I live in a city of about 250,000 people and we do not have an "independent" record store, so I am forced to check out Best Buy and Hastings. NOTHING! Just a handful of greatest hits.

I have found myself struck in a spoiled brat situation. I want what I want right now and if it means buying mp3s from Steve Jobs I am willing to do it. However, I would love for some of you audiophiles to encourage me to take the time to order vinyl and enjoy the shit like it should be enjoyed or reinforce the fact that listening to Jerry and the boys on my iPod with phones is almost as good. (Not to mention I will burn that shit to a cd)

All I need is some encouragement either way. (While Dead Set Live is downloading now) :dancing

Thanks

if you can track down their albums on vinyl, do it! I bought American Beauty in NYC and Europe '72 off the net a while back. even found a cheap copy of Blues for Allah at a flea market. i've actually been more interested in building up my Dick's Picks/ official live records collection as of late. www.deadnetstore.com has a great selection of these CDs, not to mention downloads, but they're horrible at shipping out on time.

on a side note, received my Dick's Picks 8 and Road Trips Vol. 2 #2 today. the Dick's Picks 8 was packaged with a Dick's Picks 9 booklet. :dontgetit i'm currently rocking out to the Harpur College acoustic first set now, sounds soooo good!

have fun in San Fransisco!

LAMMY HOW GOOD WAS THE SHOW? That setlist is almost exactly what I was hoping for In Chicago.

As for buying albums, American Beauty, Working Man's Dead,Live Dead, Anthem of The Sun, Aoxoxoma(or however its spelled)

In my opinion you want to stick with the live stuff, grab dicks picks 12.

if you can track down their albums on vinyl, do it! I bought American Beauty in NYC and Europe '72 off the net a while back. even found a cheap copy of Blues for Allah at a flea market. i've actually been more interested in building up my Dick's Picks/ official live records collection as of late. www.deadnetstore.com has a great selection of these CDs, not to mention downloads, but they're horrible at shipping out on time.

on a side note, received my Dick's Picks 8 and Road Trips Vol. 2 #2 today. the Dick's Picks 8 was packaged with a Dick's Picks 9 booklet. :dontgetit i'm currently rocking out to the Harpur College acoustic first set now, sounds soooo good!

have fun in San Fransisco!

That Viola Lee on DP #8 is as fierce as they come. Enjoy!

LAMMY HOW GOOD WAS THE SHOW? That setlist is almost exactly what I was hoping for In Chicago.

I had *ahem* issues with getting in. Elaborate another time. Crazy day/night but had fun.

I had *ahem* issues with getting in. Elaborate another time. Crazy day/night but had fun.

i hope you got in though, did you?

don't know if aynone is awake but hear is a bootleged live video feed of the shoreline

http://www.mogulus.com/davidaron

hopefully who ever set this up does it again tomorrow.

goodnight

i don't need to be awake now but glad that i am for this. this is some quality footage. thanks for posting a link to it on here!

edit- nvm.