The Grateful Dead

i caught the tail end of The Eleven> Touch of Grey, but here's the setlist someone posted on the chat after the show:

set 1:

Help on the Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Good Lovin'

Cassidy

Bird Song

Uncle John's Band

set 2:

Unbroken Chain

TOO

Rhythm Devils

Space

Sugaree

Gimme Shelter

Sugar Magnolia

set 3:

St. Stephen

The Eleven

Touch of Grey

after the show, they streamed the unaired Sunshine Daydream from David Letterman!

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i caught the tail end of The Eleven> Touch of Grey, but here's the setlist someone posted on the chat after the show:

set 1:

Help on the Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Good Lovin'

Cassidy

Bird Song

Uncle John's Band

set 2:

Unbroken Chain

TOO

Rhythm Devils

Space

Sugaree

Gimme Shelter

Sugar Magnolia

set 3:

St. Stephen

The Eleven

Touch of Grey

after the show, they streamed the unaired Sunshine Daydream from David Letterman!

Damn, I didn't get to watch any of it, but I'm glad someone got to enjoy it. If I was in the crowd I'd have been going nuts during that encore.

I wonder if the person will rig this up again for the Thursday show (same venue), don't think I'll be able to watch it though just picked up tickets to see Mike Watt. Either way Saturdays show (the last one till Rothburry) will be broadcast on sirus. The show starts at 7 seattle time and is a triple bill doobie brothers, allmans, the dead. I don't know if their broadcasting everyone but I'd love to hear the allmans set as well.

I don't know if their broadcasting everyone but I'd love to hear the allmans set as well.

As of last week, they will only be broadcasting The Dead.

As of last week, they will only be broadcasting The Dead.

Beat but at least its better then nothing. I wonder what time the dead will actually go on if the doobies take the stage at 7.

Beat but at least its better then nothing. I wonder what time the dead will actually go on if the doobies take the stage at 7.

That's a good question. I figured they would start a lot earlier than 7am, unless both the Doobie and Allman Brothers are playing very short sets, each. The Dead should definitely be playing their normal length set.

That's a good question. I figured they would start a lot earlier than 7am, unless both the Doobie and Allman Brothers are playing very short sets, each. The Dead should definitely be playing their normal length set.

I would imagine the doobie brothers get 40 min., allmans get at least an hour maybe an hour twenty.

so mabye

7-7:40 Doobies

8-9:20 Allmans

9:45-1:00 The Dead

So the broadcast won't start till midnight! For us Chicagoians.

I just finished listening to 05/05/09, the show was as good as I remembered. A few week starts and finishes but some great tunes. Highlights were Golden Road, Mr. Charlie, truckin, hell in bucket (although the placement sucked, second time ive seen a second set bucket).

The highlight though was the weather report suite hot dam! Do you have a copy of 5/4 calvino?

Do you have a copy of 5/4 calvino?

No. It's up on Bt-etree but I have not listened to it. It looks like the taper had some issues taping the sucker.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524929

So the broadcast won't start till midnight! For us Chicagoians.

This Saturday, I think I am going to have to take a nap in afternoon/early evening. Yikes.

No. It's up on Bt-etree but I have not listened to it. It looks like the taper had some issues taping the sucker.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524929

This Saturday, I think I am going to have to take a nap in afternoon/early evening. Yikes.

sometime today or tomorrow ill send you a link to something better then an audience recording....if you know what i mean. :stunned

Link

May 11 - May 17, 2009

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Hello, and welcome back to the Tapers' Section, where this week we'll check out some excellent music from 1970, 1973 and 1978, all of which took place during this week in the Grateful Dead's recorded history.

Our first stop is on 5/14/70 in Kirkwood, MO, where the band would be playing less than two weeks after the famous show at Harpur College show in Binghamton, NY. Although hard to match, they do a fine job of continuing that energy, with the spectacular sequence of New Speedway Boogie>Nobody's Jam> New Speedway Boogie>St. Stephen>Not Fade Away>Lovelight The next night the band would appear in New York for another magical Fillmore East concert.

From Des Moines, IA, on 5/13/73, we have the second set jam featuring He's Gone>Truckin'>Drums>The Other One>Eyes of the World>China Doll. This would begin the run of three shows over the next two weekends, with 5/20/73 in Santa Barbara, and 5/26/73 at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.

Next up, from about five years later on 5/10/78 in New Haven, CT, and part of the terrific Dick's Picks 25, we have a run of songs that straddles the first and second sets, featuring Me and My Uncle>Big River, Peggy-O, Let It Grow>Deal, Bertha>Good Lovin'. This is truly one of the most fun Picks out there. To really demonstrate how much fun this Pick is, we have this wonderfully comical Dancing In The Street from 5/11/78 in Springfield. You can feel the party dripping through the speakers.

Stop in next week, when we'll hear music from the aforementioned 5/20/73 show in Santa Barbara, as well as tunes from 1977 and 1981. As always, we welcome you to write us here at the Tapers' Section at the email address below. Please be sure to include the words Grateful Dead in your subject so that it gets through our near impenetrable spam barriers.

David Lemieux

You CAN hear the party "dripping through the speakers" on that 5/11/78 show. Rumor is that the whole band ingested some good mescaline that night, and it sure sounds like it. Not the best 'Dancin' ever, but those vocals are CRAAAAZY.

You CAN hear the party "dripping through the speakers" on that 5/11/78 show. Rumor is that the whole band ingested some good mescaline that night, and it sure sounds like it. Not the best 'Dancin' ever, but those vocals are CRAAAAZY.

Holy shit that is funny. "BRRRRRRAUGHHHH!" :rotfl

that's gonna be 12:45 AM here when this sucker starts! i get home at 12 AM from work so this will work out well. look forward to seeing some of you here/ there then.

that's gonna be 12:45 AM here when this sucker starts! i get home at 12 AM from work so this will work out well. look forward to seeing some of you here/ there then.

If I'm home that night I will most certainly be here. :thumbup

Planning to be around too. It will be interesting to see if any of the Allman Brothers sit in. I am assuming some will.

Planning to be around too. It will be interesting to see if any of the Allman Brothers sit in. I am assuming some will.

I'll be painting with my girl freind but more thwn likely she wont stay up for the whole show. ill probably be on for set two.

ps. thursday should be broadcast from the link above. possibly with video.

I'll be painting with my girl freind but more thwn likely she wont stay up for the whole show. ill probably be on for set two.

ps. thursday should be broadcast from the link above. possibly with video.

Hey calvino I was gonna send you that link but the pm feature isnt working, wanna post your email address.

on a side note, received my Dick's Picks 8 and Road Trips Vol. 2 #2 today. the Dick's Picks 8 was packaged with a Dick's Picks 9 booklet. :dontgetit i'm currently rocking out to the Harpur College acoustic first set now, sounds soooo good!

That sucks. There is not much in the booklet.

The below article is in it.

http://www.dead.net/archives/1970/clipping...tate-university

and track listings

http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Dicks_Pick_8.htm

As for this tour, are there any front runners for best show/s so far? I realize this is subjective.

I got a buddy at work that followed them on tour in the 80's, didn't even know they're touring now.

I wanted to get him a copy of a show or two, but didn't know which to look for.

From a book I'm reading about Sonic Youth talking about how some music affects people. The guy is driving in a car with his rather tightly wound friend listening to some "galactic meanderings" from a grateful dead tape:

At first she just squirmed nervously around in her seat. Then her confused eyes darted back and forth from the tape deck to me and back to the tape deck. next came a kind of gibbering as she sputtered haltingly. She grew increasingly more agitated and uncomfortable, until, finally, with her arms flapping around like water-desperate fish, she screamed in a trembling voice: "I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS MUSIC!"
From a book I'm reading about Sonic Youth talking about how some music affects people. The guy is driving in a car with his rather tightly wound friend listening to some "galactic meanderings" from a grateful dead tape:

What book are you reading?

It's the 331/3 book about "Daydream Nation".

Thanks. Haven't read anything from that series of books. Checked Amazon -- Didn't realize there was bunch more in that series.

Someone needs to do one on a Dead album.

Hell, someone did one on Celine Dion. (below is a link to all the titles)

http://www.continuumbooks.com/Series/defau...amp;ImprintID=2

As for this tour, are there any front runners for best show/s so far? I realize this is subjective.

I got a buddy at work that followed them on tour in the 80's, didn't even know they're touring now.

I wanted to get him a copy of a show or two, but didn't know which to look for.

I really liked both IZOD shows with Brandford, 2nd night of worcester was good as well. Chicago night 2 was good. I haven't listened past the chicago dates.

If you want some of the shows email me at mattmc1986@yahoo.com

I really liked both IZOD shows with Brandford, 2nd night of worcester was good as well. Chicago night 2 was good. I haven't listened past the chicago dates.

If you want some of the shows email me at mattmc1986@yahoo.com

agreed

also 4/25 at MSG and 5/2 at the spectrum were really good as well