The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry wasn't having a very good YEAR in '84. :ohwell I mean, there are shows where he played like a demon, but if you read about his personal problems from that time it would scare the fuck out of you. Crosby had nothin' on JG - it's just amazing he didn't die right then.
It is amazing really in retrospect. Kind of sad actually. Here is a guy who had it made. I mean the Dead were making money hand over fist by that point. But then again money and fame can't cure basic issues.

Thanks, Lou.

Below is a link on info of the show from the Jerry Site.

http://www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/1764

Kind of like an acid flashback. (Just a figure of speech for all those taking anything literally..) Thanks.

edit-Other comments on the site in the link indicate some of my memories were correct. It has been 25 years ago...ouch.

Thats pretty much what my buddy said about that show too.

He also said it was the weirdest looking crowd he's ever seen.......

Yea, and there I was right in the middle of it. It was pretty clear that some folks were there to see Jerry and others to see Frank. The Dead fans were acting like dead fans during Jerry's set (which I remember was sort of rushed; Jerry seemed to be playing everything fast and not playing much attention to any dynamics.) Many of those fans left after his set leaving the Zappa freaks to watch Frank. Strangely they are both gone; in retrospect not that many years after this show (was it a tour?) (Actually only 2 years apart and neither were that old.) I seem to remember Frank giving a short comment on how stupid drugs made you and he got a big cheer, but then again I am sure some of the audience thought his comments were ironic.

LouieB

It is amazing really in retrospect. Kind of sad actually. Here is a guy who had it made. I mean the Dead were making money hand over fist by that point. But then again money and fame can't cure basic issues.

LouieB

Not to nitpick, but they really weren't rolling in the dough that much compared to other large rock act draws at the time. One of the issues was that they treated their roadies, managers, ticket employees (they had there own ticket service), office workers, merchandise people, lawyers, etc. like family and gave them all substantial percentages of the money intake. They had a very large payroll/overhead. Garcia Band used to tour a lot just to help keep the boat afloat, even then. Wasn't really towards the Touch of Gray era (87 and onward) that they were really "rollin'" in it.

Regardless, Garcia was a wreck at the end of 83 into the coma in 86....and, like mb mentioned, there were still highlights but 84 (in particular) was a strain in many ways.

And The Rex Foundation.

I read somewhere that his estate was only worth 3-5 million when he died.

I just realized that both Bob and Billy will be playing a festival up the road from me in July. Ratdog has played there before, but I don't think Billy has.

And The Rex Foundation.

I read somewhere that his estate was only worth 3-5 million when he died.

I just realized that both Bob and Billy will be playing a festival up the road from me in July. Ratdog has played there before, but I don't think Billy has.

I saw Billy's trio last summer but they had oteil on bass, don't know much about the new guy.

also I posted this in the dylan thread but:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014986465

thats right bob dylan and robert hunter, off brodway musical

I saw Billy's trio last summer but they had oteil on bass, don't know much about the new guy.

Scott Murawski, guitarist of Max Creek (that have been around since early 70s, I believe).

If thats a euphanism for a constant supply of Persian, I'm in agreement with you.

That too! He and Kahn both.

Scott Murawski, guitarist of Max Creek (that have been around since early 70s, I believe).

I hadn't herd much of Scott, still don't know much about him. But they have a new bassist, which is who I was referring too.

I hadn't herd much of Scott, still don't know much about him. But they have a new bassist, which is who I was referring too.

Oh, didn't know that. Oteil is a monster on the bass.

Oh, didn't know that. Oteil is a monster on the bass.

indeed, although he was overusing the scat/bass thing he does a bit last time is saw BK3

Not to nitpick, but they really weren't rolling in the dough that much compared to other large rock act draws at the time. One of the issues was that they treated their roadies, managers, ticket employees (they had there own ticket service), office workers, merchandise people, lawyers, etc. like family and gave them all substantial percentages of the money intake. They had a very large payroll/overhead. Garcia Band used to tour a lot just to help keep the boat afloat, even then. Wasn't really towards the Touch of Gray era (87 and onward) that they were really "rollin'" in it.

Regardless, Garcia was a wreck at the end of 83 into the coma in 86....and, like mb mentioned, there were still highlights but 84 (in particular) was a strain in many ways.

I will certainly defer to you on this. I suppose you are correct about 87, since I am not that big a Dead Head I just don't know. I am sure the Dead weren't that great money managers, although after a point they did very well.

LouieB

I will certainly defer to you on this. I suppose you are correct about 87, since I am not that big a Dead Head I just don't know. I am sure the Dead weren't that great money managers, although after a point they did very well.

LouieB

Yes, they were way better with their instruments then calculators. Mickey Harts father stole a large sum of money of them during the early seventies while managing the band which led to Mickeys departure for several years. I believe they also lost a lot of money on the "wake of the flood" album, which should have done well (great tracks and a good follow up to American Beauty) but I believe the album was bootlegged by the mob.

Yes, they were way better with their instruments then calculators. Mickey Harts father stole a large sum of money of them during the early seventies while managing the band which led to Mickeys departure for several years. I believe they also lost a lot of money on the "wake of the flood" album, which should have done well (great tracks and a good follow up to American Beauty) but I believe the album was bootlegged by the mob.

I can't recall when in the '70's, but they also started their own record label. It was a gigantic failure.

They lost a ton of money on the venture.

Tomorrow night live stream from philly night 2. Hope to see some of you hanging round. You can listen via sirus, if you don't have an account you can make a free trail one (if you did last time, you can use a different email).

Show starts in a half hour, anyone gonna join me?

Eta: I guess show starts at 7:30 not 7

So I guess the dead have a i-phone application. Today featured this post:

613889.jpg

Looks like something special is going down. This is supposedly the only venue the band played in every decade. The dead played some 53 shows in the venue. First set in 68 last in 95.

lincoln39_feature.jpg

The venue is getting knocked down in the near future. Being a philly native I'm quite sad to see it go. Lots of great memories of the place, first dylan show, caught phish there twice, slew of events with my family.

The Dead in the Spectrum:

lincoln39_feature.jpg

The shows about to start

The Dead

05/02/2009

The Spectrum

Philadelphia, PA.

THE LAST ONE

Set 1:

Jam>

One More Saturday Night

Brown Eyed Women

Good Morning Little School Girl (different arrangment than worcester, mass.)

Althea>

He's Gone>

Uncle John's Band>

Mason's Children

There was a Supplication tease somewhere in there.

613920.jpg

613927.jpg

613933.jpg

Set Two:

Slop>

Good Love

Cumberland Blues

Cryptical Envelopment >

The Other One>

Drums>

Space>

Morning Dew

St. Stephen>

Revolution

Help On The WaY>

Slipknot>

Franklins Tower

Encore:

Donor Rap

Samson and Delilah

Bob Says "That Songs dedicated to tomorrow"

Mickey Hart tells everyone to do something good with energy, he suggests making love to somebody, or saying hello to somebody and shaking their hand.

I guess no one told him they aren't knocking it down for a few months.

Nice set list. Was thinking they'd do "Sampson" due to that ol' building being torn down soon....

could be the encore

could be the encore

I heard yesterday on the Grateful Dead Channel that Not Fade Away was on the paper setlist. Obviously Weir changed things around.

I thought Saturday's show sounded good. I have been whistling School Girl since I got the 68 Road Trip's disk, so it was nice to hear it Saturday.

At last Friday's Liverpool Show, Dylan played Something (Beatles). It was fun to hear Dead's take on Revolution the next night.

Looking forward to tonight's show. Won't be able to make down there until 5pm or so. I hear Allstate is allowing overnight camping in the lot this year, that should be interesting.

Also I believe XM will be re-playing Sat. Spectrum show tomorrow at 8pm (central). The last show of the tour at the Gorge will be broadcast on XM on May 16. Unfortunately they will not be broadcasting the Allman Brothers set.