Aerosmith - Toys In the Attic

I got rid of this record when I was really getting into the underground stuff in college and purging my collection of everything mainstream. That was a mistake.

The band may be a parody of themselves now, but:

toys in the attic

uncle salty

adam's apple

walk this way

big ten inch record

sweet emotion

no more no more

round and round

you see me cryin'

That is some SERIOUS rock n' roll right there.

Great thread. Toys is a classic from start to finish. The LP is still in my collection.

I've always thought the "comeback" album, Done With Mirrors, is sorely overlooked. It's pretty heavy compared to the later Lite FM-Dude Looks Like a Lady stuff.

their show in '78 was one of the sloppier concerts i've seen, though... i think the drugs (theirs, not mine) may have had something to do with it?

Oh man, do I have a story to tell from that tour (later, when I have some time). But you're 100% right on that one.

Aerosmith was head and shoulders above most of the rock bands in the 70s. The releases after Live Bootleg started a decline that lasted until MTV and Run DMC came alomg. Then came the fluffier stuff, which never really captured their former spirit.

Toys In The Attic was their greatest achievement, and such.

Recently = the last 30 years?

:lol One thing is true: a 12-step program can save your life but it might have a detrimental effect on your music.

I think you're giving them too much credit there.

The first four, I'll even say five albums, were pretty great. Night in the Ruts has a couple of okay songs but is otherwise boring. Rock in a Hard Place has one great track and the rest is somewhere between okay and absolutely terrible. Done With Mirrors is horrible from start to finish. Permanent Vacation has a couple of okay songs but a lot of garbage. Some of Pump is listenable but they're trying too hard to be either cute or clever on most of it. Personally I actually think that Get a Grip was probably their best since Draw the Line, but it's got some really embarrassing moments on it too. I haven't heard anything other than singles since then, but the singles have all been pretty cringeworthy.

Let the Music Do the Talking is alright.

That a Perry solo LP, right?

I saw the Joe Perry Project open for Heart on the Dog & Butterfly tour in around '80. I thought it was nice and raw and bluesy - much better than the Aerosmith "Ruts" tour I had just seen with Crespo on guitar.

gotta admit, I never liked this album or Aerosmith - listened to it a hundred times, don't like it

Ok, I didn't quite get the thread I guess. So I'll rephrase - I don't like the song of that title and I don't like Aerosmith

good 'nuff?

That a Perry solo LP, right?

I saw the Joe Perry Project open for Heart on the Dog & Butterfly tour in around '80. I thought it was nice and raw and bluesy - much better than the Aerosmith "Ruts" tour I had just seen with Crespo on guitar.

Yes, but I was speaking of the re-make on Done With Mirrors.