Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt read the press release all that carefully but my impression was that you could buy the stereo versions individually (or in the box set) and the mono versions would only be available in the box set.

yeah, that PR doesn't really clarify that much at all, but i'd imagine that's accurate. although they'd probably sell more if they offered up both.

yeah, that's the issue i have with it. the fact that you have to buy the mono versions as a boxset - and it's not even all the albums.

every other band seems ok with putting mono and stereo, plus bonuses, in one package - i'm not entirely sure why they think they're above all that. i don't see how anyone can look at this and not see it as money grabbing, and screwing over the buying public.

well, to be honest, if they did both the mono/stereo mixes in one giant box, it'd be like $300-400... so there's also that factor

but anyone who thinks re-releases aren't anything more than "money grabbing" needs their head checked. no matter who the artist is, it's a way to cash in twice on the exact same music.

no, it'd be the same price, but with mono and stereo mixes. like everyone else does.

define "everyone else"

i've bought plenty of re-issues where the mono/stereo mixes were seperate discs (and the price reflected this)

ie: the Pet Sounds Sessions box set

define "everyone else"

i've bought plenty of re-issues where the mono/stereo mixes were seperate discs (and the price reflected this)

ie: the Pet Sounds Sessions box set

that's a bit different. plus you can buy pet sounds with mono and stereo mixes of the album. if they want to release box sets as good and extensive as the pet sounds one for each album, after the normal mono/stereo reissues come out, that'll be fine with me.

i can't think of any other band that have released mono and stereo versions in this way. they either release only mono or only stereo, or if they release both they put them in one affordable package.

Speaking of The Beatles, I found this online the other day:

The Rolling Stones are to reissue all their post-1971 records.

Reissues on the way from Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones plan to reissue 14 of their albums over the course of this year.

Released in three batches, the records will begin to emerge on May 4th and will be remastered, although they all retain their original track listings and sleeve designs.

The first batch will contain Sticky Fingers, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock

that's a bit different. plus you can buy pet sounds with mono and stereo mixes of the album. if they want to release box sets as good and extensive as the pet sounds one for each album, after the normal mono/stereo reissues come out, that'll be fine with me.

i can't think of any other band that have released mono and stereo versions in this way. they either release only mono or only stereo, or if they release both they put them in one affordable package.

well we haven't seen the prices for any of this yet either... (and fwiw that Pet Sounds re-issue w/ just the mono/stereo still runs $30, granted it has a DVD)

i'm going to have a "wait and see" approach to all of this, as I already have all of the original albums on vinyl + CD. i'll download everything first before I decide to buy anything honestly, cuz i might not be that happy with the sound either.

Speaking of The Beatles, I found this online the other day:

On July 13th, the final set will be available, incorporating Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang.

boy that one's gonna be flying off the shelves... :yay

see i don't really like re-issues that include the mono/stereo on the same disc. i prefer to have the tracklist reflect the original release per disc i guess...

they can put them on two discs - that's fine with me. even if it meant paying a bit more. really the price of cds is nothing though, it shouldn't even really effect the final cost. or if it does then loads of recent reissues must be running at a loss.

i can't see how you can look at this as anything other than a ripe off really.

If they sound better, it's not a rip off to me. Yes, I am a sucker. I am ok with that.

ditto. i'm only interested in this for the remaster/better sound, anything on top of that is just gravy. but it would be nice if they made one all encompassing mono/stereo box for the nutters like myself to drop $500 on.

the comments re: bonus tracks, that's what the Anthologies were for... there's very VERY little out there we haven't already heard yet.

where are you seeing the prices for these new Beatles re-issues? :unsure

they are listed on amazon.co.uk and hmv (i said it a few posts back)

ditto.

the comments re: bonus tracks, that's what the Anthologies were for... there's very VERY little out there we haven't already heard yet.

i bet you there's loads. they're lying to us! just take that recent revolution take 20 - that was better than virtually everything on Anthology 3, so why wasn't it on there?

ah, i wouldn't go by that yet honestly... Amazon also had the prices for Neil's Anthology 1 up for a long time as $450 for the blu-ray and $350-ish for the DVD version and it wound up being $299 for BR, $199 for DVD, and $99 for CD.

i bet you there's loads. they're lying to us! just take that recent revolution take 20 - that was better than virtually everything on Anthology 3, so why wasn't it on there?

i'm sure there's still a handful, but until the other 2 remaining members are dead there's always going to be someone doing "quality control". wait until those guys pass and we'll probably see more rare stuff (there's often reasons stuff is never released in any form in my experience).

boy that one's gonna be flying off the shelves... :yay

Exactly.

I wonder if Mick is going to re-mix Exile on Main Street ? I have read that he wants to do that.

I suppose I am behind on my Beatle cd buying - I never bought the Capitol boxes.

I suppose I am behind on my Beatle cd buying - I never bought the Capitol boxes.

y'know i never did either... and now i'm glad :)

i also got all the original CD's for pretty damn cheap at Costco years ago (like $8.99 a piece or something)