Beatles remasters are here!

that's cool then! i'd imagine you have up until a week or two before the release date to cancel if you change your mind or want to buy the box sets too.

yeah, you can cancel right up until the point they package them. i thought that was the case with most online shops - i think it's probably the law, in england as least.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they sound better, it's not a rip off to me. Yes, I am a sucker. I am ok with that.

the albums up until Pepper were all under 40 minutes i believe, so they could have easily included both stereo and mono on each since they're not giving bonus tracks. i think people would prefer that over the documentaries - no idea how much space that takes on a disc - which could be a seperate dvd/doc altogether (now).

y'know i never did either... and now i'm glad :)

i also got all the original CD's for pretty damn cheap at Costco years ago (like $8.99 a piece or something)

I paid 12-13 dollars each - except for the White Album I have on cd, it was 20 bucks I think.

I can't recall if the ABCKO Stones re-masters were more than that - I think they probably were.

The last one I bought must have been the Let It Be re-issue, and before that, the BBC sessions.

I paid 12-13 dollars each - except for the White Album I have on cd, it was 20 bucks I think.

I can't recall if the ABCKO Stones re-masters were more than that - I think they probably were.

The last one I bought must have been the Let It Be re-issue, and before that, the BBC sessions.

i never dove in and bought any Stones remasters that first time (only have a couple of their records on CD honestly, rest are on vinyl), so i'll have to consider these new ones.

i never dove in and bought any Stones remasters that first time (only have a couple of their records on CD honestly, rest are on vinyl), so i'll have to consider these new ones.

I never owned any of the pre-Beggars Banquet albums ever, so I just went and got them all one day. I picked all the 2002 ABKCO releases from the first one through Let It Bleed. Of the new re-masters, I will probably buy what I already have: Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls, and Tattoo You. I don't think I have Emotional Rescue on cd.

i was looking at a discounted CD price of $10 (because you are dealing in bulk) X 14 albums, so in the neighborhood of $140-$150? that wouldn't be so bad.

also, can someone please explain (without debating), why mono is preferable? is it only preferable on some albums?

-justin

That's what they were about - stereo was an afterthought. If I recall correctly, The Beatles did really involve themselves with mixing until Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

i was looking at a discounted CD price of $10 (because you are dealing in bulk) X 14 albums, so in the neighborhood of $140-$150? that wouldn't be so bad.

also, can someone please explain (without debating), why mono is preferable? is it only preferable on some albums?

-justin

I'd like to think you're correct about $140-150, but it's The Beatles ... they can charge a premium and people will pay.

As for mono vs. stereo, I personally haven't dug very deeply into this, but I seem to remember a lot of the early stereo mixes to be pretty bizarre in terms of separation, which meant that the mono mixes could actually be more listenable (depending on your tastes, I guess).

-justin

My understanding is that all of the albums (except the White album?) were imagined as mono in the band's view, though the record company released later ones in stereo in the U.S. Also, the first few were released in mono only.

My understanding is that all of the albums (except the White album?) were imagined as mono in the band's view, though the record company released later ones in stereo in the U.S. Also, the first few were released in mono only.

the white album was mono too - it's actually the best sounding of their albums in mono. i think it's abbey road that was in stereo.

basically, and i'm sure this has been said before, the beatles made the albums in mono and then let someone else mix them in stereo - i don't even think george martin got involved in the stereo mixes, although i could be wrong. they sound much punchier in mono and fuller sounding and the levels are better, plus often it's much more than just the music being mono or stereo, they used different takes, faded stuff in and out, and generally did different things from one format to the other. for example the mono version of helter skelter has a much better drum roll from ringo when it all collapses in on itself, before coming back in again - and there is no "i've got blisters on my fingers" on it either. personally, little things like that make the mono version better - but i guess you've got to hear them to know what i mean.

All of the early Beatles albums that I have are in mono. That's how I know and love those songs. Listening to them in stereo would be interesting to me from a curiosity perspective. But it would be messing with perfection.

And I was burned (badly) by the Pet sounds reissue in stereo which is atrocious. That album should be in mono.

All of this is IMO of course.

i think Abbey Road's stereo mix is pretty damn awesome honestly...

certainly for the earlier records i prefer the mono mixes, no question

i think abbey road is the only album that was mixed and thought about in terms of stereo, by the band - that's another point about how the albums should be represented how the band intended at the time. who exactly would trust modern day mccartney over 1960s paul mccartney over choosing what's best musically?

i just watched the rachael maddow show and at the end of the program segment called just enough, her friend kent jones says the remastered cd's are due in september, i think it's about time, i can't wait.