Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that taste in music is purely subjective, but I'll be damned if the Beatles' supremacy isn't as close to objective as anything can possibly be in these types of discussions.

When asking anyone what their favorite music is, I always follow it with, "Besides The Beatles; because that's just a given."

Create Your Own Single-LP White Album

Hard to improve on perfection...one can waste hours trying to come up with a reasonable alternative

Create Your Own Single-LP White Album

Hard to improve on perfection...one can waste hours trying to come up with a reasonable alternative

Ditch "Revolution #9", for sure.

After that, it's really a toss-up. Maybe bye-bye to "Piggies" and "Yer Blues" as well and, hell... with those three songs alone, we've ditched an entire album side. "Wild Honey Pie" is also unnecessary, but loosing it dont gain you much, as far as time is concerned.

EDIT:

Okay, so I tried it at that site, and it is impossible.

Damn.

Although, I still say get rid of "Revolution #9"!

For some reason the web filter here is blocking this. :hmm

Can someone post that tracklist?

Submit Your Own Single-LP White Album

The panel on the left contains all of the tracks on the White Album, along with three others that the Beatles recorded at that time but did not release. Select tracks from the left panel and move them to either side 1 or side 2 with the ">>>" buttons. You can remove tracks with the "

Abbreviated song titles

...Bungalow Bill The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

...Guitar Gently Weeps While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Happiness...Warm Gun Happiness Is a Warm Gun

...Do It in the Road? Why Don't We Do It in the Road?

...Me and My Monkey Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey

...New Mary Jane What's the New Mary Jane

Original Song List

Proposed Single LP

Back in the USSR (2:43)Dear Prudence (3:56)Glass Onion (2:17)Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (3:08)Wild Honey Pie (1:01)...Bungalow Bill (3:05)...Guitar Gently Weeps (4:45)Happiness...Warm Gun (2:43)Martha My Dear (2:28)I'm So Tired (2:03)Blackbird (2:18)Piggies (2:04)Rocky Raccoon (3:41)Don't Pass Me By (3:42)...Do It in the Road? (1:41)I Will (1:46)Julia (2:54)Birthday (2:42)Yer Blues (4:01)Mother Nature's Son (2:48)...Me and My Monkey (2:24)Sexy Sadie (3:15)Helter Skelter (4:29)Long, Long, Long (3:04)Revolution 1 (4:15)Honey Pie (2:41)Savoy Truffle (2:54)Cry Baby Cry (3:10)Revolution 9 (8:13)Good Night (3:11)Junk (2:24)Not Guilty (3:22)...New Mary Jane (6:12)

All the British Invasion bands covered American rock and roll songs - it was not the norm for them to write their own material. This is one of the things The Beatles and The Stones changed - along with emphasizing the album over the single.

yes, i know.

did they willing do the covers or were they made to is what i'm getting at.

maybe they didn't have enough - what they thought at the time - good material, and/or time constraints - trying to get an album out quickly they just would do something they had well practiced over the years of playing the pubs.

Ditch "Revolution #9", for sure.

After that, it's really a toss-up. Maybe bye-bye to "Piggies" and "Yer Blues" as well and, hell... with those three songs alone, we've ditched an entire album side. "Wild Honey Pie" is also unnecessary, but loosing it dont gain you much, as far as time is concerned.

EDIT:

Okay, so I tried it at that site, and it is impossible.

Damn.

Although, I still say get rid of "Revolution #9"!

Some REALLY hard choices when limited to 2 sides of a maximum of 25 minutes.

Here are what your peers (i.e. Beatles fans) determined:

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/AWA/Results.php

THE ABRIDGED WHITE ALBUM

Results

So far, I have received 1010 submissions for "The Abridged White Album?" If "Turn Me On, Dead Man" readers had their way, a single-LP White Album would have looked like this:

Side 1

Back in the USSR 2:43

Dear Prudence 3:56

While My Guitar Gently Weeps 4:45

Happiness Is a Warm Gun 2:43

I'm So Tired 2:03

Blackbird 2:18

I Will 1:46

Julia 2:54

Side 2

Birthday 2:42

Revolution 1 4:15

Sexy Sadie 3:15

Glass Onion 2:17

Yer Blues 4:01

Everybody's Got Something to Hide... 2:24

Helter Skelter 4:29

The most popular track on the White Album is George's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," which was included in 91.2 percent of the submissions. George wrote 5 songs for the White Album, but none of George's other tracks would have been included on a single-LP White Album. John had the most tracks included on the abridged version of the White Album with 9, as well as the highest average number of votes per song (490.9).
yes, i know.

did they willing do the covers or were they made to is what i'm getting at.

maybe they didn't have enough - what they thought at the time - good material, and/or time constraints - trying to get an album out quickly they just would do something they had well practiced over the years of playing the pubs.

I know that for a few of their early albums, they just recorded what they had been playing live. This is especially true for Please, Please Me. Since their live shows always contained a lot of these covers, those got included on the albums.

Here's my single-LP White Album:

SIDE 1 (23:38)

1. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey

2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Martha My Dear

4. Savoy Truffle

5. I Will

6. Glass Onion

7. Blackbird

8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

9. I'm So Tired

SIDE 2 (24:13)

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.

2. Dear Prudence

3. Honey Pie

4. Julia

5. Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

6. Sexy Sadie

7. Mother Nature's Son

8. Revolution 1

I surprised myself with some of my choices. For example, "Honey Pie" and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" made the cut while "Birthday," "Rocky Raccoon," and "Bungalow Bill" didn't. (I don't think it's a coincidence that these are all McCartney tunes ... I think Lennon was doing better work during this period, and his songs carry what's left of the album.)

I have long thought that "Back In The U.S.S.R." wasn't the best way to start this album, so I relegated it to the side 2 opener.

I would not change anything - there is some funny dialog about this in The Beatles Anthology series.

"It's the bloody White Album!"

I tried to make a single disc version once based on what I imagined George Martin would have put on it. Not easy.

Myself, I can't even imagine leaving off 'Revolution 9' so, there it is.

Here are what your peers (i.e. Beatles fans) determined:

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/AWA/Results.php

THE ABRIDGED WHITE ALBUM

Results

Side 1

Back in the USSR 2:43

Dear Prudence 3:56

While My Guitar Gently Weeps 4:45

Happiness Is a Warm Gun 2:43

I'm So Tired 2:03

Blackbird 2:18

I Will 1:46

Julia 2:54

Side 2

Birthday 2:42

Revolution 1 4:15

Sexy Sadie 3:15

Glass Onion 2:17

Yer Blues 4:01

Everybody's Got Something to Hide... 2:24

Helter Skelter 4:29

Wow, remind me never to hang with "Turn Me On, Dead Man" readers! :P

Well, here's something that will ruin you for life - when Phish covered the White Album and they got to the part "you become naked" Fishman (the drummer) tore off his dress and ran around the stage starkers. Try to get THAT image out of your head! :lol

Well, here's something that will ruin you for life - when Phish covered the White Album and they got to the part "you become naked" Fishman (the drummer) tore off his dress and ran around the stage starkers. Try to get THAT image out of your head! :lol

How did they play Revolution #9? Or did they just play a tape of it?