Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like I have read that is who owned it somewhere.

:o

I was just guessing. Maybe you were thinking of this:

Beatle's Guitar Sold

An electric guitar owned by George Harrison, right, that was used on the Beatles' ''Revolver'' and ''White Album'' was sold to an anonymous bidder at Christie's in New York on Friday for $567,500, The Associated Press reported. The guitar, a cherry-red Gibson SG, was owned by Harrison from 1966 to 1969; he played it on ''Revolver'' and lent it to John Lennon for use on the ''White Album'' sessions. Harrison gave it as a gift to Pete Ham of the group Badfinger; after Ham committed suicide in 1975, his brother John put it in a closet in his London home, where it sat until 2002. Among the other items in the auction of rock and entertainment memorabilia were a two-page 1991 letter from Kurt Cobain to Courtney Love, for $19,120, and a school book report by a young Britney Spears for $1,912.

That could be what I was thinking of.

The weirdest Beatles track of all may be released, 41 years on

Experimental 'Carnival of Light' will be heard at last, thanks to Sir Paul McCartney

By Sadie Gray

Sunday, 16 November 2008

Fab: the Beatles at Abbey Road, where they recorded 'Carnival of Light'

A 14-minute, improvised, experimental track recorded by the Beatles which was considered unworthy of being issued under their name may be released 41 years after its only public performance, Sir Paul McCartney has revealed.

"Carnival of Light", which the band laid down in January 1967, features distorted guitars and drum-beats, gargling, church organs, and Sir Paul and John Lennon yelling: "Are you all right?" and "Barcelona!"

Although it was performed at an electronic music festival that year, the audience were unaware it was a Beatles track and the band later shelved it, feeling it was too adventurous. George Harrison had called such experimentation "avant-garde a clue", McCartney said.

The track gained legendary status among hardcore Beatles fans, and Sir Paul has not only confirmed that he possesses a master tape, but said "the time has come for it to get its moment", if he can get permission from the group's estate for its release.

Sir Paul was commissioned by his friend Barry Miles to make a track for the 1967 Million Dollar Light and Volt Sound Rave at the Roundhouse Theatre in London. Drawing inspiration from the composers Karlheinz Stockhausen and John Cage, "Carnival of Light" was duly recorded at the Abbey Road studios while the band were working on the vocals for "Penny Lane".

"We were set up in the studio and would just go in every day and record," Sir Paul told the BBC Radio 4 arts programme Front Row, in an interview to be broadcast later this week.

"I said to the guys, this is a bit indulgent, but would you mind giving me 10 minutes? All I want you to do is just wander round all the stuff and bang it, shout, play it. Then we put a bit of echo on it. It's very free." The track came within a whisker of inclusion on the 1996 Beatles compilation Anthology. "I said it would show we were working with really avant-garde stuff, but it was vetoed," Sir Paul said.

The producer who oversaw the recording, Sir George Martin, described the track as "a kind of uncomposed free-for-all melange of sound".

I was just coming here to post about this! :thumbup

This article in the Guardian today explains the song and Paul's ambitions in a bit more detail:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/1...rnival-of-light

I've never actually heard it - but have read about it. I have also read that there are a lot of fake versions of the song floating around on the internet.

it's hard for me to believe Lennon refused it as he and yoko released a few albums pretty much like that with random noises.

anyone heard those by the way?

I have "Two Virgins" on 8-track, no kidding! One listen is enough - it ain't no Metal Machine Music that's for sure. :lol

and there's The Wedding Album.

this track sounds interesting:

"John & Yoko", the first side, is a recording of Lennon and Ono calling to each other, through a range of emotions, over the sound of their heartbeats.

I believe that somewhere I've read they're in stereo - Lennon on one speaker and Yoko on the other.

I miss George.

:cryin 7 years gone already.

Man. I saw the David Nelson Band just a few days after Geoge passed. They did a great version of "Give Me Love..." and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

I was just coming here to post about this! :thumbup

This article in the Guardian today explains the song and Paul's ambitions in a bit more detail:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/1...rnival-of-light

Oddly enough, what I did and you said also happened on another message board I posted the article on.

Mythical' Beatles song confirmed

The Beatles

The Beatles recorded the track in January 1967 for a music festival

Sir Paul McCartney has confirmed a 14-minute long Beatles track many thought was a myth does exist - and says he wants the public to hear it.

He told BBC Radio 4's Front Row the track - called Carnival of Light - was not released because the other Beatles thought it was too "adventurous".

The improvised track was recorded in 1967 for an electronic music festival.

Sir Paul said Ringo Starr and John Lennon's and George Harrison's estates would have to agree to a release.

He said he had been asked to create the piece for an electronic music festival, and asked the other band members to be "indulgent" for 10 minutes at London's Abbey Road studios before giving them vague directions.

Sir Paul explained: "I said all I want you to do is just wander around all the stuff, bang it, shout, play it, it doesn't need to make any sense. Hit a drum then wander on to the piano, hit a few notes, just wander around.

"So that's what we did and then put a bit of an echo on it. It's very free."

The track was played just once, at the festival, and is said to include distorted guitar, organ sounds, gargling and band members shouting phrases such as "Barcelona!" and "Are you all right?"

Sir Paul said he was fond of the track, which was inspired by experimental composers John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen: "I like it because it's The Beatles free, going off piste."

He said he still had a master tape of the piece, adding: "The time has come for it to get its moment."

Sir Paul had wanted to include the track on the Beatles' Anthology compilations in the mid-1990s, but the rest of the band vetoed the idea.

He said: "I said it would be great to put this on because it would show we were working with really avant-garde stuff."

The full interview will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4's Front Row on Thursday 20 November at 1915 GMT.

I hope they went outside of Abbey Road - but I guess they did not. HDCD would be nice. They should also be released as a two-fer, just as The Beach Boys were, and as The Stones cds should have been. Although - I suppose some people see that as tampering with the past.

I actually hate twofers, unless it's really nicely done. I prefer faithfull to vinyl reissues, half the price. But the average twofers with two albums covers on the CD cover, no, thanks.

I can't see Revolver and Sgt. Pepper on the same CD, to boot.

It'd be even weird to see satellite singles as bonus tracks of the original albums.

The ideal reissues would be CD imitations of every original vinyl of any format. Singles, EPs, LPs. The Japaneses do that very well.

That, or a dream of a boxset. But frankly, there's nothing of that sort to expect from EMI.

I actually hate twofers, unless it's really nicely done. I prefer faithfull to vinyl reissues, half the price. But the average twofers with two albums covers on the CD cover, no, thanks.

It'd be even weird to see satellite singles as bonus tracks of the original albums.

The ideal reissues would be CD imitations of every original vinyl of any format. Singles, EPs, LPs. The Japaneses do that very well.

That, or a dream of a boxset. But frankly, there's nothing of that sort to expect from EMI.

the beach boys two-fer albums looked great, and sounded great, and were cheap enough. so it can be done well. these beatles reissues are going to cost maximum price, i can put money on that.

I see your point. I bought all of The Beach Boys cds three times - so I am just glad they got it right finally.

beatles definitely do not need twofers.

stereo/mono and bonus tracks.

Beach Boys weren't as solid as an "album band" and have a lot more product than the Beatles - that's why it worked in their case.

Now people like Johnny Cash - people who have tons of back catalog - really need twofers since some of those albums around that time barely ran 30 mins.

I wish they'd do that with Buck Owens as well. I have a compilation and would love to hear more of his stuff, but it's hard to shell out the top CD price for 30 mins of catalog music no matter how good it may be.

Beach Boys weren't as solid as an "album band" and have a lot more product than the Beatles - that's why it worked in their case.

i don't know. i think the beach boys have made more albums i'd call great than the beatles have. certainly albums i'd call "albums", as you say. the beatles have rubber soul through to let it be, which is 6 albums i'd call proper albums without filler. and the beach boys have about 9 albums i would recommend having. then as for the albums with some great tracks and some filler, the beach boys outweigh the beatles on that too.

i wouldn't worry about the beatles doing twofers anyway - it's never ever going to happen.

av-2485.jpg

But seriously...list?

alright.

pet sounds, sunflower, surf's up, love you, holland (my favourite!), friends (second favourite!), smiley smile, 20/20, carl & the passions "so tough"

people will say probably carl & passions is not very good, or smiley smile, for example - but i could say the same for let it be. the bigger point is that they are all proper albums wihtout filler. if a band produced those albums today people would be raving about them. i could also have included today! or summer days (and summer nights) in the list too, but they have 1 or 2 tracks that are a bit filler-like.

alright.

pet sounds, sunflower, surf's up, love you, holland (my favourite!), friends (second favourite!), smiley smile, 20/20, carl & the passions "so tough"

people will say probably carl & passions is not very good, or smiley smile, for example - but i could say the same for let it be. the bigger point is that they are all proper albums wihtout filler. if a band produced those albums today people would be raving about them. i could also have included today! or summer days (and summer nights) in the list too, but they have 1 or 2 tracks that are a bit filler-like.

* Surfin' Safari (1962)

* Surfin' USA (1963)

* Surfer Girl (1963)

* Little Deuce Coupe (1963)

* Shut Down Volume 2 (1964)

* All Summer Long (1964)

* The Beach Boys' Christmas Album (1964) (then The Beach Boys' Christmas Album and now Ultimate Christmas)

* Today! (1965)

* Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) (1965)

* Beach Boys' Party! (1965)

* Pet Sounds (1966)

* Smiley Smile (1967)

* Wild Honey (1967)

* Friends (1968)

* Stack-O-Tracks (1968)

* 20/20 (1969)

* Sunflower (1970)

* Surf's Up (1971)

* Carl and the Passions - "So Tough" (1972)

I have them all up through 1985 - but don't really listen to any of them past Carl and The Passions.

* Holland (1973)

* 15 Big Ones (1976)

* Love You (1977)

* M.I.U. Album (1978)

* L.A. (Light Album) (1979)

* Keepin' the Summer Alive (1980)

* The Beach Boys (1985)

I don't have these:

* Still Cruisin' (1989)

* Summer in Paradise (1992)

* Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 (1996)