Beatles remasters are here!

I am not really a fan of 5.1 or "re-mixing".

I don't mind. Obviously early Beatles recordings wouldn't work well in 5.1 but "Tomorrow Never Knows" would be an interesting listen, if they did it properly.

It wouldn't really be 5.1, most of it would be 4.0 anyways.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind. Obviously early Beatles recordings wouldn't work well in 5.1 but "Tomorrow Never Knows" would be an interesting listen, if they did it properly.

It wouldn't really be 5.1, most of it would be 4.0 anyways.

If they are not forced, they can be great. But all too often the engineer tries to force a swirling sound or something into the mix that doesn't work. How about a 5.1 version of Zaireeka! :lol

The original CD, to my ears, sounded reprocessed, like the monkey that Jeff Goldblum turned inside-out in "The Fly." It sounded like the wanted to isolate all of the parts, rather than find the best mix. Of course, the only ones I bought were Rubber Soul and Revolver - been waiting for a reissue upgrade.

That makes me wonder - If people primarily listen to music on iPods with earbuds these days, what is the purpose of 5.1 releases?

Well I'll tell you my purpose in purchasing those release (of which i only have a few). I bought them because they were SACDs or DVD-Audio releases. So while the 5.1 mixes being included were interesting, I primarily bought them to have versions of some of my favorites in higher quality stereo mixes. I'll agree that there is probably a rapidly shrinking market for such releases though. Although vinyl has made somewhat of a comeback due to people looking for better quality.

These reissues had been planned for last spring, then summer already. And I ended thinking EMI had left them, given the fact the CD market doesn't work well lately. Young people don't buy CDs anymore.

At any rate, I'm ready to buy Beatles CDs with a *good* sound. The existing ones are just awful, imo.

The mono versions are essential.

I can't tell you how much the mono version of "Help!", for example, remains more powerful to me than the stereo one.

I can't tell you the feelings I got listening to a mono version of Nowhere Man all night long on a ridiculously cheap radio tape player. It was pure Joy.

That takes me back - I use to tape Beatle songs off of the radio back in the mid 70s, and I can still hear those tapes in my head. I actually still have those tapes.

When I listen to 'When I'm Sixty-Four' I still expect the line 'stating point of view' to be skipped over, because that's how my copy played it when I was a kid.

When I listen to 'When I'm Sixty-Four' I still expect the line 'stating point of view' to be skipped over, because that's how my copy played it when I was a kid.

The Beatles albums I first heard, and still have, were not exactly pristine copies. And for a very long time, when I heard certain songs, I expected to hear skips and static in certain places.

I still don't understand why my parents had Sgt Pepper's but no other Beatle LPs. Their collection wasn't all that hip otherwise, so it makes me wonder - did everyone buy Sgt Pepper's when it came out?

I still don't understand why my parents had Sgt Pepper's but no other Beatle LPs. Their collection wasn't all that hip otherwise, so it makes me wonder - did everyone buy Sgt Pepper's when it came out?

Sgt Pepper's is the one we did not have. I use to have a picture disc of that album.

i've got all the original pressings apart from Abbey Road, but's that's only cos i stole them from my parents collection. it's not so much that the mono versions sound better because they are mono, but that the beatles only over-saw the mono versions when they were released, so the levels are how they intended. i'd be more than happy to just have stereo if the levels were mixed as well as they were with the mono releases.

I wonder if these will come out on cd:

A Collection of Beatles Oldies

Hey Jude

Live At The Star Club

The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl

Love Songs

Rock 'n' Roll Music Vol. 1

Rock 'n' Roll Music Vol. 2

Reel Music

There are more - that is just some I could think of.

I was listening to

the "De-emphasized Black Triangle" version of Abbey Road this morning.

I think that's some sort of remaster job. At any rate it sounds pretty amazing.

I was listening to

That's a fan made re-master - like Purplechick or Dr. Doc Ebbetts.

I was listening to

I'd never heard about this. Just read a review. It's supposedly a flat transfer from the master tapes. I'll have to find a copy of this. Thanks!

It comes from this.

The Beatles - Abbey Road (Toshiba Black Triangle)

This was the first ever authorized Beatles CD worldwide, released in Japan (release date: May 21, 1983).

It was issued on the EMI/Odeon label by Toshiba-EMI Ltd. The catalog number is CP35-3016. The CDs were issued with an obi (a paper strip surrounding the CD) on the left hand side and had a black triangle design on the label side.

Legal problems caused the CD to be withdrawn from the market

The Black Triangle, and Ebbett's (Blue Box, MFSL's...) are pretty hard to beat sound wise. Definitely better than any commercial releases as far as I'm concerned.