Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Ten Most Disappointing Things About The Beatles Remasters

10 Does not include the Tony Sheridan sessions

9 Not available on cassette

8 No box set of "Backwards" versions to hear "Paul Is Dead" clues.

7 Only available on antiquated compact disc technology

6 Does not include remixes by Dangermouse

5 Only sold with limited edition Beatles compact disc player

4 Not included: Neil Young's "Time Fades Away"

3 This is being issued before the Badfinger box set.

2 9-9-09 is not the release date - it's the list price

1 It was too much of a rush job

Let me be the first to say that I will be downloading all these for free. We have like 3 copies of all these albums (records, multiple CDs) in my house, and I could care less about supporting Apple Records at this point in time. I even bought the soundtrack to that Love musical. Maybe I'll buy the Rock Band game as penance, or see Paul or Ringo and the All Star Band next time they come around town, but they are not getting free money from me!

I think it might be time for the Yellow Submarine tattoo.

6 Does not include remixes by Dangermouse

Wasn't Danger Mouse responsible for the Grey Album? Kind of a start, but not the real thing.

But Danger Mouse remixes would kind of just be insane. I'm not sure I could bear to fuck with Beatles recordings (though he has and evidently lived to tell the tale).

for example the mono version of helter skelter has a much better drum roll from ringo when it all collapses in on itself, before coming back in again - and there is no "i've got blisters on my fingers" on it either. personally, little things like that make the mono version better

:dontgetit

How can no "blisters on my fingers" be better? I would miss that SO much. As well as the stereo plane in the beginning of USSR. I can't even imagine the Post-Rubber Soul stuff in mono. I've never heard it that way so who knows.

I do know the CD mastering of the last White Album sounds so much lower than all the other discs. Put 6 of them in a changer and hit random. When The White Album tracks come on, you can barely hear them.

:dontgetit

How can no "blisters on my fingers" be better? I would miss that SO much. As well as the stereo plane in the beginning of USSR. I can't even imagine the Post-Rubber Soul stuff in mono. I've never heard it that way so who knows.

I do know the CD mastering of the last White Album sounds so much lower than all the other discs. Put 6 of them in a changer and hit random. When The White Album tracks come on, you can barely hear them.

OK, so I downloaded all the Dr. Ebbetts Mono transfers and gave them a good listen. As someone who grew up on the stereo albums, I really missed it on the Post-Rubber Soul stuff. It was like watching a classic technicolor movie in black and white for me. I mean, "I am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields" in mono? I so missed the panning and separation of everything.

OK, so I downloaded all the Dr. Ebbetts Mono transfers and gave them a good listen. As someone who grew up on the stereo albums, I really missed it on the Post-Rubber Soul stuff. It was like watching a classic technicolor movie in black and white for me. I mean, "I am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields" in mono? I so missed the panning and separation of everything.

I think, whilst everyone goes on about Dr. Ebbett and Purple Chick, I think you really have to hear them on vinyl to appreciate them. Because, whilst those versions are sourced from vinyl - I personally think you lose a fair bit in the transfer from analogue to digital, and really you have to treat the digital transfer differently to bring out the best in it - rather than trying to be faithful to the analogue source. I do still think they sound better than the official cd transfers, but I think these new remasters are going to be a massive improvement - with the stereo as well as the mono. I've always grown up listening to the mono versions, so they are the ones I love, but I'm starting to come round to the fact that I'm going to have to start getting to like the stereo versions when they are released, cos I'm not forking out for the mono box set.

Are these remasters gong to be on vinyl.

I don't care how good or bad they used to sound in the bad old days...I am glad I grew up listening to the vinyl albums that we had. Oh yea, I still do....

LouieB

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

anyone else seen the trailer for rock band: here

whilst the drums seem to be on left or right, it doesn't sound like everything is panned as much as it is on the older cd versions, and the main vocals are in the middle - so they must have remixed the music, right? i'm not too sure, plus it's hard to tell with all the fake screams and crowd noise on the music. does anyone have the original stereo vinyl to compare it to? it'll be interesting to find out what you think, if you do. it's also interesting that they've used mono for Day Tripper - don't know why.

oh, plus the mono and stereo box sets are now listed on amazon. 157.99 pounds for mono, and 134.59 pounds for stereo - god knows why mono is more, and i'm glad i ordered the albums i wanted when they first listed them, because they've gone up a couple of pounds in price now. i think the mono box set would have to be under 100 pounds for me to even think about ordering that. what would have been cool is if they'd left a some space in the stereo cd packaging for you to place your cdr of the mono albums in, when we all illegally download them.

anyone else seen the trailer for rock band: here

whilst the drums seem to be on left or right, it doesn't sound like everything is panned as much as it is on the older cd versions, and the main vocals are in the middle - so they must have remixed the music, right? i'm not too sure, plus it's hard to tell with all the fake screams and crowd noise on the music. does anyone have the original stereo vinyl to compare it to? it'll be interesting to find out what you think, if you do. it's also interesting that they've used mono for Day Tripper - don't know why.

oh, plus the mono and stereo box sets are now listed on amazon. 157.99 pounds for mono, and 134.59 pounds for stereo - god knows why mono is more, and i'm glad i ordered the albums i wanted when they first listed them, because they've gone up a couple of pounds in price now. i think the mono box set would have to be under 100 pounds for me to even think about ordering that. what would have been cool is if they'd left a some space in the stereo cd packaging for you to place your cdr of the mono albums in, when we all illegally download them.

There is an article in the new issue of Rolling Stone about the game. In the article, Giles Martin talks somewhat about what he had to do with the tracks. Apparently, they have to be separated in order for them to be playable in the game. So he had to split all the tracks up, thus changing the way they have been heard all of these years. I may buy the cds, but I am in no way interested in a Beatles video game.