Beatles remasters are here!

that tower records price works out as £139 as opposed to the £199 they are asking for from amazon.co.uk - trouble is that i'll get stung for import duty. damn it! damn it! damn it! i think i'd be up for paying that - even though it's still silly money. this has to be the most annoying musical "shall i? shan't i?" that i've ever had to make.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but this whole "limited edition" thing reeks of bait and switch. If they can market these things with "special DVDs" that are simply repackaged compilations of stuff we've all got anyway, is it really that hard to imagine that "due to popular demand!!" they make more of these? Man, I am becoming quite the cynic in my old age.

Call me crazy, but this whole "limited edition" thing reeks of bait and switch. If they can market these things with "special DVDs" that are simply repackaged compilations of stuff we've all got anyway, is it really that hard to imagine that "due to popular demand!!" they make more of these? Man, I am becoming quite the cynic in my old age.

It would shock me if they didn't. There has been some discussion I've read elsewhere that it's simply about creating artificial demand. Whatever.

I'm going to be dropping gobs of money on The Beatles between these remasters, Rock Band, the album downloads on Rock Band, etc. Just hand me the vaseline.

i've got a feeling you're going to end up being right. but, seeing as how they've really handled their catalogue so so badly in the past you never know what is gong through their heads. that's why it's such a hard decision to make.

i've got a feeling you're going to end up being right. but, seeing as how they've really handled their catalogue so so badly in the past you never know what is gong through their heads. that's why it's such a hard decision to make.

Yeah you are right, but I can't think of a better way to drum up demand for something than to tell people that its a limited edition. Not that these boxes wouldn't sell a ton. But how many people that would've just held off until release date, have plunked down $$ already, for fear of missing out?

I hate feeling this way.

But how many people that would've just held off until release date, have plunked down $$ already, for fear of missing out?

:wave

From what I've read, the initial run is limited to 10,000 copies, which are numbered. I imagine they'll do subsequent runs, but they won't be numbered (I know, who gives a shit) and maybe they'll change it up just enough (different packaging?) that those of us who are buying the initial release will still feel special somehow.

i wonder what will happen to all the older CD versions...you go to any Best Buy and there will be a whole rack to those almost.

i would think they would lower the price, but i have no idea.

i wonder what will happen to all the older CD versions

Well, one thing's for sure -- there'll suddenly be multiple copies of each album at every used CD store.

QVC - classy. I think the Rutles say it best - "All You Need Is Cash!"

Oh, actually if you read the shipping date, it's still 09/09/09. Even though the big print says this: "Celebrate the iconic music of The Beatles! QVC brings you 14 digitally remastered CDs one month before the worldwide release date. Jam out with "The Beatles: Rock Band"limited-edition bundle. Plus, shop apparel, collectibles, and more."

The big print giveth and the small print taketh away!

Good God, I just watched the video presentation they had. I love the way they make out there is something special about the artwork on these new cds, when in fact all they need to say is that it is Original Artwork. Pretty much everyone has learnt the lesson from the shitty cds of the 80s - and Original Artwork is far from a special selling point. Also, would you say "Sgt Pepper" or "Sgt Pepper's"? Cos personally I'd say Pepper - if I was going to add the 's I'd not stop there and say the whole thing.

I am down with CDs (I own thousands of them) but, it would be very innovative if EMI had offered a FLAC/MP3 of these tracks, as well as, the physical release. I know such things have been down before, but not on such a grand scale (except for maybe Radiohead's last release).

I just thought I'd warn that if any of you are thinking of ordering the box sets through Tower.com, I'd advise against it. I ordered the mono box set and my debit card was immediately charged. This despite the fact that the product has yet to be released. Even worse, they sent me no confirmation email, no final record of my order. No reference number. Nothing. If i hadn't been vigilant and checked with my bank later that day, i wouldn't have any evidence that my order was ever processed. It's like i never ordered anything at all. I got no response from them when i sent an email asking them what the deal was. Customer service was worse than poor, it appears to be nonexistent. I'm gonna file a claim with my bank tomorrow morning in hopes of canceling my "order" and getting my money put back into my account, since its only been less than 72 hours since i ordered. I can't help feeling that I'll be ripped off and lose the money if i don't. I've never ordered anything online and received absolutely no response of any kind from the vendor. I'm not putting up with that. No way. Their service seems to reflect their current bankrupt status. I should have known better than to order a high-priced item from a company that is having financial trouble! Stay away from tower.com!

I ordered the mono box set from Tower and got a confirmation e-mail message along with a link that allows me to track the order status at any time. That link provides comprehensive information about the order, and once it has shipped, will provide carrier information and a tracking number.

I ordered the mono box set from Tower and got a confirmation e-mail message along with a link that allows me to track the order status at any time. That link provides comprehensive information about the order, and once it has shipped, will provide carrier information and a tracking number.

You did? If i had gotten any those things, I wouldn't felt compelled to post that rant. I'm glad it worked for you. How quickly did you get that email and the tracking link after you placed your order? I'm still waiting for mine.

I think it took ten or fifteen minutes to get the e-mail confirmation. Sounds like something really did go wrong with your order. Hope you're able to get that resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Today I find that the mono set has been moved out of my cart into the "saved items" section, and the product page now has this message:

I had heard that this was a limited edition thing, but did anyone really expect it to be so limited that it would sell out four weeks before the release date?

I personally was afraid of that when I learned about the mono box and pre-ordered it immediately - like, one month ago?

The more so as this pre-order was only available from amazon.com, not amazon.fr (I'm French).

I just thought I'd warn that if any of you are thinking of ordering the box sets through Tower.com, I'd advise against it. I ordered the mono box set and my debit card was immediately charged. This despite the fact that the product has yet to be released. Even worse, they sent me no confirmation email, no final record of my order. No reference number. Nothing. If i hadn't been vigilant and checked with my bank later that day, i wouldn't have any evidence that my order was ever processed. It's like i never ordered anything at all. I got no response from them when i sent an email asking them what the deal was. Customer service was worse than poor, it appears to be nonexistent. I'm gonna file a claim with my bank tomorrow morning in hopes of canceling my "order" and getting my money put back into my account, since its only been less than 72 hours since i ordered. I can't help feeling that I'll be ripped off and lose the money if i don't. I've never ordered anything online and received absolutely no response of any kind from the vendor. I'm not putting up with that. No way. Their service seems to reflect their current bankrupt status. I should have known better than to order a high-priced item from a company that is having financial trouble! Stay away from tower.com!

you ordered yesterday - Sunday?

most businesses, even online, are not as quick on weekends, and usually not at full staff.

you ordered yesterday - Sunday?

most businesses, even online, are not as quick on weekends, and usually not at full staff.

That's true, but I ordered the mono set last Friday morning(the 14th). It's now Monday afternoon and I'm still waiting for any kind of response from tower. I'm going to file a claim with my bank tomorrow if i don't hear from them by then. I hope i do hear something, but I'm skeptical. I ordered the stereo box set on Sunday from amazon, and when i clicked "place your order," I got an confirmation order with a tracking order number about 30 seconds later. That's how it should be done, and apparently the person who ordered from tower.com a few posts back got the virtually the same deal. I didn't get anything, except a charge on my credit card. I don't even have the order listed on my tower.com account. I think something went horribly wrong with my order. The good news is that my bank told me that if i file a claim tomorrow(Tues.), that i would likely get my money back into my account within 7-10 days. I think I'm gonna try ordering the mono set from Best Buy. Hopefully it'll work out.