Beatles remasters are here!

The hype around this amazes me. Take a look at the date and info in the first post of this thread:

New reissue rumors: October MOJO reveals first solid details about remastered Beatles CDs

Update (10/11/08)

The October MOJO finally showed up in our neck of the woods. Here's a summary of the remaster article:

MOJO was invited "out of the blue" to Abbey Road to hear 10 restored White Album tracks. "You can hear every thread in the musical fabric -- the nuances of Macca's tour de force vocal on "Helter Skelter," his tolling bass on "Dear Prudence," and, eeriest of all, John Lennon singing "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" as if he's sitting right next to you, right now, rather than a whole lifetime ago."

The article mentions they also heard "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Martha My Dear," "Don't Pass Me By," "I Will" and "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey." Remastering engineer Guy Massey enabled MOJO to flip between and forth between the old versions and the new ones to hear side-by-side differences.

The remastering has included every UK album, both "Past Masters," "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" and the U.S. "Magical Mystery Tour," but not "Live at the Hollywood Bowl," regrettably.

The new versions keep George Martin's original voices-left, instruments-right balance. The remasters will include both mono and stereo versions. The biggest challenge was the bass, which EMI dealt with cautiously on the original releases. The article says the new versions restore "the intended, recorded bottom end."

So when will we see them? Sometime next year, the article says. And there's no guarantee there will be a coinciding release on iTunes.

By the time they're in the hands of consumers, these remasters will have been hyped for at least eleven months. Records that were first available 40 years ago, and have been resold in handfuls of packages/formats in the between time, being sold all over again in the name of better sound. In what form will Beatles albums be shoved at us in twenty years - ear drops? Injections?

I know I must be coming across as overly cynical/ignorant of the quality of this product, but Christ.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's The Beatles! They invented Beatlemania, fer chrissakes!

Full disclosure, regarding my above rant: I check the time in my kitchen using a Yellow Submarine clock and just opened a beer with a Beatles bottle opener, while looking at my McFarlane dolls of George & John.

dunno if this was posted but this commercial for The Beatles Rockband is...interesting. Looks like they updated old videos with CGI and colorization, etc.

John looks really creepy at one point.

Full disclosure, regarding my above rant: I check the time in my kitchen using a Yellow Submarine clock and just opened a beer with a Beatles bottle opener, while looking at my McFarlane dolls of George & John.

:lol

Sounds like my house. I actually wore my Ben Sherman Yellow Submarine shirt to work last Friday. The print looks like this:

359539332_d0e27b7f9d.jpg

Here's a good review of both sets from TONEAudio.

No painstaking decisions involve Abbey Road or Let It Be, as only stereo versions exist. Each album unfolds like never before—particularly Abbey Road. Thicker tracks such as “She’s So Heavy” come on as indestructible walls of sound replete with phenomenal low-end weight, superb definition, vivid dynamics, and unlimited ceilings and floors. Starr’s drumming on “The End” is absorbing and titanic; it sounds so good, it’s almost difficult to believe this is the Beatles, which, unless one had unlimited funds for collectable LPs, have never sounded great. Depending on one’s perspective, such a conclusion is the ultimate sign that the folks at Capitol and Abbey Road Studios not only succeeded but surpassed most expectations. For if the Beatles remasters signify the last great hurrah of the compact disc, at least the format is going out in style.

:frusty Ugh, I can't wait. September 9th can't get here fast enough.

I just (for the first time) listened to all of "Sgt Pepper" in mono (Dr Ebberts rip). I found it.....interesting. I liked some of it more then my well worn stereo version (clearer vocals, heavier drums, punchier bass) but I really missed the stereo sound on much of it. I also didn't think it was THAT different as many claim.

It really felt like listening in black and white as opposed to listening in color. Admittedly, I have heard the stereo version for most of my life so I find it difficult to really "hear" it another way.

Sincerely, about mono and stereo stuff: suffice to listen to many Rhino reissues faithfull to original mono recordings compared to average stereo mixed versions from other labels to hear a HUGE difference.

Most of the sixties music, at least before 1967, is only great in mono, because it was made in mono, for mono gear. All was conceived for mono impact.

Stereo was born with artists like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, using the possibility of stereo effects.

Yeah I really just don't have the ear for this type of thing. I have the stereo and mono versions of Pet Sounds and I'd be hard-pressed to tell which version I was hearing if a song came up on shuffle.

I can tell the difference. I believe that has to with hearing Pet Sounds for over 20 years the way it was, in mono, and then hearing it in stereo with the release of the boxset. Maybe it depends on how familiar you are with something.

Has anyone heard whether the mono tracks (or any tracks?) will be available for download on the iTunes?

Has anyone heard whether the mono tracks (or any tracks?) will be available for download on the iTunes?

I believe they have yet to work out a deal. I have read that Apple plans to make a surprise announcement on September the 9th, and the speculation is that they are going to announce a deal has been reached to sell Beatles tracks by way of iTunes.

Most of the sixties music, at least before 1967, is only great in mono, because it was made in mono, for mono gear. All was conceived for mono impact.

Stereo was born with artists like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, using the possibility of stereo effects.

While The Beatles may have recorded in Mono (up 'til "Yellow Sub"), I find their stereo releases to be quite inventive and exciting to the point where I really miss it when I'm listening to the mono versions. I'd have to think Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix engineeres obviously took their cues from The Beatles stereo versions.

I believe they have yet to work out a deal. I have read that Apple plans to make a surprise announcement on September the 9th, and the speculation is that they are going to announce a deal has been reached to sell Beatles tracks by way of iTunes.

yeah, i'd be surprised if this wasn't the time they are finally on iTunes... the timing of Apple's event (which has already been scheduled: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/31/apple-issues-invitations-for-september-9th-media-event/) seems too coincidental to not be.

they're also refreshing the entire iPod line (minus possibly the Shuffle) that day

excellent. give it a few months and these box sets will be half the price, and there'll be talk about selling the mono seperately.

i think the iTunes thing might not happen until they've fleeced the public for the cds properly - because otherwise they'll be lossing part of their sales to digital downloads. i see it looking like this:

initial batch > second run of box sets (cheaper) > iTunes (maybe by christmas) > cds in mono sold seperately (middle of next year)

Well, then my plan will be to buy Abbey Road and Let it Be on the 9th and wait to see what happens with the rest. All large chunks of cash in bjorn_world are spoken for pretty much through 2010.

Well, then my plan will be to buy Abbey Road and Let it Be on the 9th and wait to see what happens with the rest. All large chunks of cash in bjorn_world are spoken for pretty much through 2010.

Same here. As much as I want that mono box set, I don't think I'll be able to swing it. :ohwell

I'm going to wait about a month and see if the prices fall a bit and see if I can get Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road. Don't need Let It Be. Recently bought LIB Naked. Might ask for Magical Mystery Tour and the Past Masters for Xmas. I don't listen much to the early stuff. Got the Anthology and One for those.