Beatles remasters are here!

There's a very difficult one to sing: the Cry Baby Cry outro (by Paul). I fail everytime.

*falsetto*

Can you take me back where I came from, Can you take me back...

Can you take me back where I came from, Brother can you take me back??? Can you take me back...

just like that!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, yes, I'm psyched. Wish it was being re-released on vinyl too.

Fingers crossed that this happens eventually. Though I'm not sure how many of the albums I'd actually buy (again).

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but come on. These Beatles albums are still better than anything and everything that has ever been put out by anyone. If and when I get tired of them, I put them down. And when I come back to them, I am forced to question why I listen to most of the schlock that I spend most of my time listening to. Part of me thinks that my voracious appetite for new music is really just a voracious appetite to find something that moves me like these Beatles albums move me. As much as I love a band like Wilco, it's not even close. I mean, not even close. And I am sure that Jeff would agree. And that's not even an insult.

It's so true.

I dug out my Beatles Anthology Vol. 1 yesterday, and even hearing their "bad" versions of songs makes me realize how truly special they were. The Anthology version of And I Love Her is AMAZING.

Sometimes I think I can listen to the Abbey Road medley 20 times a day for a whole year and never not be stunned by its brilliance.

I dug out my Beatles Anthology Vol. 1 yesterday, and even hearing their "bad" versions of songs makes me realize how truly special they were. The Anthology version of And I Love Her is AMAZING.

After reading this post I tried to listen to that song and discovered that I've never ripped the Anthology discs for my external drive here at work. How is this possible?!!??!

I first heard Beatles when they appeared on Ed Sullivan in 1964. I was in second grade. The memory of that night is unusually clear. I remember what the adults in the room said about them. I remember feeling like something unfamiliar was happening to me.

I played the grooves off these albums over the years. The magic of listening to Beatles has never ever lost that original luster. As records, they are peerless.

I first heard Beatles when they appeared on Ed Sullivan in 1964. I was in second grade. The memory of that night is unusually clear. I remember what the adults in the room said about them. I remember feeling like something unfamiliar was happening to me.

I played the grooves off these albums over the years. The magic of listening to Beatles has never ever lost that original luster. As records, they are peerless.

Wow, you're like 94 years old.

Geoff Emerick/Engineer - On The Beatles In Mono - Sept 2, 2009

Geoff Emerick was The Beatles principle recording engineer from Revolver through Abbey Road which is when The Beatles were doing their most adventurous work. Emerick was greatly responsible for the sound of those Beatles albums. When I say sound, I mean the sound - not the music. The music itself was made by The Beatles themselves with the help of George Martin on arrangements.

Because of Emerick’s close relationship to The Beatles recordings it makes sense to listen to what he says as far as the mono mix vs. stereo mix debate. I think they are enlightening as far as making clear why The Beatles Mono Box Set is so essential for serious Beatles fans. What follows are some quotes from Emerick on The Beatles in mono.

“Back in 1967, most people’s record players were mono; stereo was still largely the purview of high-end audiophiles. True Beatles fans would do well to avail themselves of the mono versions of Sgt. Pepper and Revolver because far more time and effort went into those mixes than into the stereo mixes.”

“In contrast to the way they carefully oversaw the original mono mixes, the group had expressed no interest in even being present when we did the [stereo mixes of Sgt. Pepper] that’s how little thought we all gave stereo in those days.”

“Only stereo mixes were done [for Abbey Road] (that had been the case since The White Album.)”

The Beatles Mono Box Set

The box set includes the original mono versions of The Beatles first 10 albums. The Beatles songs from Yellow Submarine are actually included as well (in the Mono Masters double disc set of non album tracks.) The Beatles final two albums Let It Be & Abbey Road are not included because (as Emerick’s quote above mentions) they were never mixed in mono.

These original mono mix Beatles CDs are not available for individual purchase, only as a part of this box set. The individual CDs available are only those in stereo. So if you want to hear The Beatles as Geoff Emerick believes you should hear them you will need to Buy The Beatles Mono Box Set and then you can purchase the stereo mixes for Let It Be & Abbey Road to complete your collection (although personally I ordered the entire Stereo Box Set too as I want to hear both versions of their albums.)

It's gotten to the point where I am mildly surprised when an article extolling the virtues of the mono box doesn't also quote VC's own, Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpack.

:lol and i'm not even buying the bloody thing, cos it's too expensive! (my official stance on it is that i'm in favour of the mono mixes, but i'm not in favour of the price of the box set).

So I'm guessing the version of Helter Skelter on the White Album mono mix will be the same as the version that appeared on the Capitol Album Rarities. That mono version did not feature the fade in and the Ringo shout out "I've got blisters on my fingers!" (bummer), but rocked harder than the stereo version.

There is really no need to join some privater tracker, or even mess with a bit torrent site. I am sure if one digs around, you will find them on a Mp3/FLAC blog somewhere. Also, you can search Rapidshare for such things.

There is really no need to join some privater tracker, or even mess with a bit torrent site. I am sure if one digs around, you will find them on a Mp3/FLAC blog somewhere. Also, you can search Rapidshare for such things.

Fair enough - wasn't aware it was possible to search rapidshare.

Hell, the last Wilco album leaked by way of Twitter. You never know where you will find stuff these days. I am speculating, of course. I don't mess with such things myself.

Still can't find it anywhere - I'll try on bit of patience.

Older than Analogman even.

But not older than me; I was already a teenager.

There is no question that the Beatles albums are better than alot of stuff today, but then again they were better than alot of stuff back then. That's why the Beatles remain so popular and they can remix and resell this stuff over and over.

LouieB

I was sitting at a traffic light today and heard "A Day in the Life" playing in the car beside mine. The male driver, alone, was about 19 years old. Their sound will always resonate and live forever.

Did he notice that the light had changed?