Beatles remasters are here!

It would be nice to listen to these if a single store around here fucking had it in stock! I guess it's my fault for not preordering, but I can't even find the stereo set. Very frustrating. Is this stores not ordering enough or withheld supply?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice to listen to these if a single store around here fucking had it in stock! I guess it's my fault for not preordering, but I can't even find the stereo set. Very frustrating. Is this stores not ordering enough or withheld supply?

I got the second to last one at Waterloo(stereo). The guy told me the record company underestimated.

Every Beatles album is at least A+ (above is the rank of World Domination, which is to say every other Beatles effort besides Please Please Me).

Paste is just fucking jealous that the Beatles are too good for them.

If they took a look at their schedule, and the amount of time they had to make albums pre-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band they might think twice about such things. Also, I am not sure that today's method/fascination with giving albums grades/numbers/putting them into a list can be applied to something from the past. Or, rather, it makes no sense to me. That is probably due to the fact that I don't usually look at music that way. I may have Beatle songs I really like, but they were an album band. That is, the album is meant to be experienced as a whole, not each song as a separate deal.

I may have Beatle songs I really like, but they were an album band. That is, the album is meant to be experienced as a whole, not each song as a separate deal.

I think that sentiment rings more true in their later years. Their first few albums were collections of singles and covers.

I think their first truly great album was Hard Days Night - which was also the first that consisted entirely of original material.

To me, their "album band" status started with Rubber Soul and continued forward from there.

I see your point, but I still look at them as whole. I guess it's just the way I learned to listen to them. Things certainly changed as they gained more power, and thus quit doing covers, and concentrated on their own songs.

I see your point, but I still look at them as whole. I guess it's just the way I learned to listen to them.

Yep.

Which is a big reason I listened to Let It Be...Naked only once.

Yep.

Which is a big reason I listened to Let It Be...Naked only once.

I've listened to it a few times over the years, but it sounds weird to me. Of course, the configuration of the songs on the pre-Sgt. Pepper's cds is still weird to me, as I (and you) grew up with the Capitol versions.

Just purchased the remastered Past Masters, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road in stereo for a total of $22 out of pocket on Amazon. Having an Amazon.com credit card allows you accumulate bonus points for any purchases with your card. I had $75 of reward certificates that I was going to use for a new ipod but couldn't resist using them to pick these up. With free shipping the balance was $22. Also got $6 of credit for free downloads from amazon. Not bad I guess. Now the wait begins for the delivery truck.

I just ordered a copy of the mono box set from amazon.com. :stunned

I was joking with my dad, asking if he planned to buy one for himself. He said no, but pointed out that I have a birthday coming up at the end of the month. Thanks mom and dad!

About 13 years ago (at the age of 13) I fell in love with the Beatles. I watched the Anthology on TV with my parents and was enchanted by their story. I introduced my then best friend to the band, and we proceeded to spend an entire summer swimming in the Beatles. We watched Help and A Hard Day's Night repeatedly. One day we cleared the furniture out of her dining room and recreated the "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" scene, complete with a tambourine. We created our own Beatles trivia quiz book (I may have to see if I can find that thing hidden away somewhere). My friend had her Ringo impression down pat. To this day I still think about her everytime I see Ringo. Things really got crazy the day that she created a cardboard cutout of a fictional drummer, somehow inspired by Wings (can't remember the exact connection - I think maybe we were preparing to stage a concert in the dining room again). When the summer ended I proudly wore my Beatles t-shirt on the first day of school.

This should be a great trip down memory lane - which is funny considering that I wasn't even born until nearly two years after John Lennon was killed. It goes to show what an enduring legacy that band left.

What's funny/disturbing/whatever for me about the Klosterman thing is I have my own notes on a parallel universe Beatles Anti-Anthology I thought of writing, which include among other things, the band welcoming Yoko into the studio with open arms. I feel like he wrote this piece just for me. :lol

I haven't read the whole thread ;) so this may have been mentioned before, but have you seen this?

Paperback Writer

So funny. My sister Kathy is pretty sure that Tweedy cribbed a joke from it the last time Wilco played the Fillmore.

Well...just put my name on a list at Best Buy to hold a set whenever they get more in. :ohwell

I feel your pain, I had to go to a worthless meeting and missed my chance to get one of the few Mono sets they had at the local store. They sold out immediately the guy told me. They still had some stereo sets but I really want the Mono. As a consolation I did buy the Abbey Road disc. Wow. I never realized how amazing the bass in "She came in through the bathroom window" was. The biggest thing I notice off the bat is the bass and drums are so much more crisp. One hell of a rhythm section they had. Makes me realize I won't be happy until I get the whole set.

OK. So I have been listening to the White Album for about a hundred years and just now listening to I Will, thought, "Omg. Paul is singing the bass part!"

I never noticed before. Christ.

Amazon currently has both sets mono and stereo available for order. $229 for the Mono and $179 for the Stereo, both say between 2 to 3 weeks at the short end of the ordering time frame. After striking out everywhere today trying to find one I ordered mine and am getting it for 20 bucks cheaper.

OK. So I have been listening to the White Album for about a hundred years and just now listening to I Will, thought, "Omg. Paul is singing the bass part!"

I never noticed before. Christ.

Yeah. He got pretty innovative with the bassing from like White Album on. Before, he was just a great bassist. But starting with, like, "Hey Bulldog", he became the transcendent, innovative bass player. Some of the bass lines on the White Album don't even make sense to me...

Paul has been one of my top 5 favorite bassists since the first time I really sat down and listened to Abbey Road. The guy is so damn impressive. Just watched the the rooftop version of Don't Let Me Down and I love how Paul and Billy Preston are kind of doubling each other on the bridge.

So... everything I read says "the first four records are making their debut in stereo" which would mean... Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles for Sale. That can't be true, can it? PPM to AHDN, maybe, but I'm listening to "No Reply" right now and that sure sounds stereo to me.

Anyways, finally got my downloads of the stereo and mono box sets done. Converting the files myself to 360 kbps MP3 for iPod/iTunes use.

Paul's bass playing has always been some of my favorite. He's really good at doing very interesting stuff but it never sticks out in a "wow that bass player is doing some cool stuff", it's all really subtle, but when you truly pay attention to it, it's very rewarding. Except for Dear Prudence, the awesomeness of that bassline is evident immediately. It's kind of like Ringo's drumming in a way. Ringo always played really simply but without ever playing repetitive. There's not many drummers who can do that... they either get too complicated or get too repetitive.

So... everything I read says "the first four records are making their debut in stereo" which would mean... Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles for Sale. That can't be true, can it? PPM to AHDN, maybe, but I'm listening to "No Reply" right now and that sure sounds stereo to me.

"the first four records are making their *CD* debut in stereo"

So the question is: are you listening to the 1987 CD version of "No Reply"?

I have a CD rip from years ago, from where I can not remember, unless I got a strange stereo version from somewhere? It doesn't sound to be ripped from vinyl. Weird.

One of the reasons the bass sounds different on the latter albums is due to the rise of the band having a say in how things sound. There is a good interview in the The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970* with Paul about recording his bass. Of course, like most people, they were going for a sound that they heard while listening to various Motown releases.

*The Complete Beatles Chronicle

I have both of those books. It is amazing what the price is now to buy them.

***LABEL ERROR ALERT ON THE BOX SET***

Actually, label alert...but did anybody pick up "Yellow Submarine" on stereo remaster? The actual CD has a error...it says at the end of the track listing "Let It Be mini documentary". It should say Yellow Submarine documentary.