Hold on just one damn minute...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some post election news - I think Mr. Ayers was on one of those TV news shows the other day:

Ex-radical Ayers distances himself from Obama

He also defends his Vietnam-era conduct.

By The Associated Press

November 15, 2008

Reporting from Chicago -- Vietnam-era radical Bill Ayers said Friday that he doesn't know President-elect Barack Obama any better than "thousands of other Chicagoans" and that the two never talked about Ayers' anti-war activities.

In a television interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," the college professor disputed the contention that in the new afterward of a paperback edition of his 2001 memoir "Fugitive Days" he describes himself and Obama as "family friends."

"I'm describing there how the blogosphere characterized the relationship," Ayers said. "I would really say that we knew each other in a professional way, again on the same level as say thousands of other people."

Ayers, an education professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago, helped found the radical group the Weatherman, which carried out bombings at the Pentagon and the Capitol.

His name came up repeatedly in Republican Sen. John McCain's campaign, with McCain wondering about the closeness of the relationship. McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, talked about how Obama would "pal around with terrorists."

In fact, Ayers said he didn't even know Obama when he hosted a coffee early in Obama's political career at Ayers' home in the Chicago neighborhood where the two live. Ayers added that he agreed to have the meet-the-candidate event after a state senator asked him to.

"I think he was probably in 20 homes that day as far as I know," said Ayers, who has declined interview requests from the Associated Press. "But that was the first time I really met him."

Ayers said that he and Obama also served together on a Chicago school reform board and a foundation board, but that their discussions were limited to issues before those boards.

Obama has denounced Ayers' violent past and said Ayers was never involved in his White House campaign.

"The truth is we came together in Chicago in a civic community around issues of school improvement, around issues of fighting for the rights of poor neighborhoods to have jobs, housing and so forth," Ayers said.

In the afterward of his book's new release, Ayers wrote: "In 2008 there was a lot of chatter on the blogosphere about my relationship with Barack Obama: We had served together on the board of a foundation, knew one another as neighbors and family friends, held an initial fundraiser at my house, where I'd made a small donation to his earliest political campaign."

Ayers said his name was brought up in the campaign as "this character that was created in this election" to make people fear Obama, but that the election showed the nation rejected what he saw as a tactic.

Ayers also defended his own actions during the Vietnam War.

"Let's remember that what you call a violent past that was at a time when thousands of people were being murdered by our government every month, and those of us who fought to end the war were actually on the right side," he said.

"I never hurt or killed anyone," he said.

Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

By JESSE WASHINGTON, AP National Writer Jesse Washington, Ap National Writer

'Mr.' Bill Ayers is going to have to find a way to reconcile that history isn't going to be

kind to the fact that he blew stuff up. Way back when he may have had visions

of it sparking social change or of one day being knighted, but in the end he's just

a criminal he blew shit up.

Yea, okay, I guess we sort of agree about this...

Reissuing his book at this time seems a bit unwise, but then maybe Bill wants to capitalize on his new found fame and pad his retirement account.

LouieB

20081124_107.jpg

Wow.

I know! Maybe cigarette holders will come back in style!

Certainly he is facing a similar magnitude in fucked-upness as FDR. Interestingly, Clinton himself said that in order to be considered a great president, you have to face great crisis (which he did not). Needless to say, you also need to perform well in the job during great challenge to get the gold ring. We shall see how Obama does.

My grandfather and I just had a nice discussion about how he was afraid the CCC guys were going to steal his girlfriend when they set up a camp on the edge of town. Their relationship survived the New Deal, but not Latin class, which is where he met my grandmother.

I wouldn't compare today to American circa 1931.

We have many more safety nets today, so it doesn't look/feel as bad. But the near collapse of our financial system was not an illusion.

We're at something like 7% unemployment, right? Which is like, absurdly high compared to recent times, right?

Wasn't it in the 20-30% range during the early 30's?

Not to mention the dust bowl and the rise of fascism in Europe. I'd say things were looking a little more bleak then.

We're at something like 7% unemployment, right? Which is like, absurdly high compared to recent times, right?

Wasn't it in the 20-30% range during the early 30's?

Not to mention the dust bowl and the rise of fascism in Europe. I'd say things were looking a little more bleak then.

The point is we are trying fix the problem before it gets to where unemployment was in 1932 -- 2.5 years after the initial market crash.

And you could argue that the "terrorist issue" is much worse for our national psyche than hitler/fascism was in 1931.

Hopefully, Obama won't do like FDR and prolong the recession for 10-15 years.

Maybe we'll be able to bait Germany and Britain and France into fighting a war so we can supply them with stuff. Then we can slip the Japanese a few bucks to bomb a naval installation - things'll really take off then!

Well, I think you can argue FDR did that, but he also probably kept a few million people from starving to death.

By paying farmers not to farm?

Maybe we'll be able to bait Germany and Britain and France into fighting a war so we can supply them with stuff. Then we can slip the Japanese a few bucks to bomb a naval installation - things'll really take off then!

Now you're talking!

20081124_107.jpg

Wow.

I will restate my opinion and position.

Barack Obama was a very savy, very attractive candidate who ran the most perfect campain in modern history. He seems to have a grasp on the pertinent issues and the energy to pursue his agenda.

However, the lionization and 'the chosen one' aspect that the media portraying is very disturbing.

I may be beating a dead horse (but what the fuck...that doesn't stop any of you), but this song always runs through my mind when I see the Barack Obama superstar portrayed.

My mind is clearer now

At last

All too well

I can see

Where we all

Soon will be

If you strip away

The myth

From the man

You will see

Where we all

Soon will be

Jesus!

You've started to believe

The things they say of you

You really do believe

This talk of God is true

And all the good you've done

Will soon be swept away

You've begun to matter more

Than the things you say

Listen Jesus

I don't like what I see

All I ask is that you listen to me

And remember

I've been your right hand man all along

You have set them all on fire

They think they've found the new Messiah

And they'll hurt you when they find they're wrong

I remember when this whole thing began

No talk of God then, we called you a man

And believe me

My admiration for you hasn't died

But every word you say today

Gets twisted 'round some other way

And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Nazareth's most famous son

Should have stayed a great unknown

Like his father carving wood

He'd have made good

Tables, chairs and oaken chests

Would have suited Jesus best

He'd have caused nobody harm

No one alarm

Listen Jesus, do you care for your race?

Don't you see we must keep in our place?

We are occupied

Have you forgotten how put down we are?

I am frightened by the crowd

For we are getting much too loud

And they'll crush us if we go too far

If we go too far

Listen Jesus to the warning I give

Please remember that I want us to live

But it's sad to see our chances weakening with ev'ry hour

All your followers are blind

Too much heaven on their minds

It was beautiful, but now it's sour

Yes it's all gone sour

Ah --- ah ah ah --- ah

God Jesus, it's all gone sour

Listen Jesus to the warning I give

Please remember that I want us to live

So come on, come on, listen to me.

Ah --- ah

Come on, listen, listen to me.

Come on and listen to me.

Ah --- ah

I'm not sure how one makes the leap from the media throwing him up the pop charts to Obama buying into the media's hype.

My main point is those proclaiming 'hosannah' will be among the first to shout 'crucify him'.