Hold on just one damn minute...

I'll have to tell my grandkids that I voted for the old white guy.. But they'll understand why when they see all the damage done to this country in the next four years.

Now THATS an awful post. :lol

What sort of damage? After the last eight years, about the only thing left to be done is to just say

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you will about Obama, but look at how he got people up off their asses and got them involved. If he can harness that involvement into the next 4 years, there's not much that our country can't accomplish. It's such an awesome feeling to be a part of.

What sort of damage? After the last eight years, about the only thing left to be done is to just say "fuck it", and like, turn our own nukes against ourselves.

If Obama can refrain from doing that, and I have every confidence that he can, you have to sort of figure just about anything will be an improvement.

I know, I was halfway kidding... The way I feel about it now is that what's done is done. Regardless if I like him or not, he's our President now and I hope he does what is right for this great country.

As long as the mail still comes, and there is bread and milk at the stores, I think we are all going to be ok.

Hey Lou, I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's best that we dispense with the bitterness that's accumulated over the past eight years and look to the future. Bush is on his way out, and the country now has a chance to undo a lot of the damage he's done. Like it or not, Obama will need the help of some Bush/McCain loyalists to effect the sort of change he wants to bring forth.

Though I don't agree with many of those in the mainstream media who believe that Obama needs to tack toward the center, I do think it's best for the president-elect to take the high road and be gracious in victory and civil to the opposition when attempting to enact new policies. He has taken a good first step in that direction, and I think it's important that his supporters do so as well.

Seriously, I'd love the emotional release of gloating and engaging in a bit of "in your face" to a few select people who've pissed me off over the past several years, not to mention a few more rants about everything I despise about the current administration, but there's nothing to be gained from it. Let's move on.

What is important to me was his victory speech. He did not boast. The man has humility. There was nothing in his tone to suggest that he has a prideful sense of having taken over the country and now everything=better. Instead he continues to push forward and urge all of us to lean our weight into fixing this country. Very FDR. I can not recall a victory speech that was as urgent and motivated. If that can't excite the McCain crowd I'm not sure what will.

How can you say this

in this new America you woke up to?

I've read your bullshit for 12 months on here. We see eye to eye on a lot of things, but the way you talk down to people is fucking old. For someone who uses his age as his basis for knowing more than other folks on here, you need to grow up.

You are right, I apologize......but you are wrong about one thing....I haven't been in these threads for the last 12 months..only about the last three or four. And I have consistantly and postively supported Barack from day one and mostly heard from the other sides here how he is either a communist or a sham, not what he really was, which was a terrifically talented and intelligent candidate who could in fact unify this country and maybe get us back on the right track.

My god man.....what exactly do you want? Sure we should all be magnanimous I know and frankly I am. I am sure all those who voted for McCain on the one hand and Nader on the other will now all sit down and help President elect Obama be the greatest president in memory (since we are certainly coming off the worst president in memory.)

You are right, it was petty and stupid.

LouieB

I know, I was halfway kidding... The way I feel about it now is that what's done is done. Regardless if I like him or not, he's our President now and I hope he does what is right for this great country.

As long as the mail still comes, and there is bread and milk at the stores, I think we are all going to be ok.

And I was being whole-way serious. I truly believe the time has come for America to declare war on America. Otherwise, we run the risk of America usurping America, leading to one America divided against itself - which, I think, is a conundrum of some sort - but I'm not sure.

You are right, I apologize......but you are wrong about one thing....I haven't been in these threads for the last 12 months..only about the last three or four. And I have consistantly and postively supported Barack from day one and mostly heard from the other sides here how he is either a communist or a sham, not what he really was, which was a terrifically talented and intelligent candidate who could in fact unify this country and maybe get us back on the right track.

My god man.....what exactly do you want? Sure we should all be magnanimous I know and frankly I am. I am sure all those who voted for McCain on the one hand and Nader on the other will now all sit down and help President elect Obama be the greatest president in memory (since we are certainly coming off the worst president in memory.)

You are right, it was petty and stupid.

LouieB

LouieB I've really enjoyed your take on things in the election threads. To anyone who feels you have been negative and wacko I suggest they read your posts. :wub

That's not funny.

Oh, I know. When I realized it, I stopped laughing.

I am sure the Dems would fillibuster any Bush appointment. And I have to think that the outrage in the public would prevent Bush from doing it anyway.

I think.

Congressional Races I've been following:

Michele Bachmann won

Looks like Ted Stevens is gonna come back to the Senate. What's the deal with Alaska?

Franken race is way too close to call still.

What a beautiful, resounding repudiation of the last horrible eight years of the neo-con regime.

Today, I'm still proud to be a liberal, but also a little prouder to be American. Some of you guys might think I'm just an old sarcastic bastard, part of the so-called "angry Left," but the reason so many of us on the Left were angry was the Bush-Cheney doctrine of "Fuck everybody else, we'll bomb anyone we want pre-emptively." I shed a few tears last night.

Hmm, so now I'm part of the happy Left!

John Paul Stevens is free to die now. :lol

The funny thing is, I remember thinking this 16 years ago :)

Of course, there are 5 members over 70 right now and Souter is 69. Fortunately, in my opinion anyway, the three youngest are all good conservatives. All I can hope for now is that Scalia is able to hang on.

I feel the same way. Thanks.

LouieB I've really enjoyed your take on things in the election threads. To anyone who feels you have been negative and wacko I suggest they read your posts. :wub

Now that's an endorsement!

Obama lost in Missouri by only 5,860 or so votes. Nader took 11,000, and Barr about 6,000 or so. At least this is what Fatheadfred told me today. I'm to tired and hungover to look anything up. I'm just so happy and proud MO almost elected Obama, and my signs are still up. :blush

I feel the need to steal the best VC post of the day from Kimcatch22 (I love it)...I have a hangover and I can't tell if it's from excessive beer, hope, or change. :lol

apparently, my kids didn't get the memo that we woke up in a new america this morning...they still refused to brush their teeth and were pains in the ass getting them out the door to the sitter. :lol

actually, both of them seemed pretty jacked when i told them 'obama won'...however, when i tried to explain to them who the president is and what he does, they still argued that their mom is the 'boss of everything'.

all that said, like our new president-elect said, real change has not occured w/ his election...what, at least for me, has changed is an increased possibility and ethusiasm to get to work, move our country forward and try to make things better. 'w/ great power comes great responsibility'...i will do my part, but i may be even more critical towards our democratic president-elect, his cabinet and congress than i would have a mccain administration. there is something to prove, not just to those who didn't believe...but, maybe even more so, to those of who did and still do.

as a sidebar, the john mccain who gave that concession speech last night, is the man i may not have voted for, but would have felt decent enough about having in office. it's amazing to me how awful that campaign was run in contrast to his opponent. i can't and don't begrudge him at all...but to his running mate and the rest of his campaign advisors, i think we need to re-examine what the 'real america' is and can be.