Guest Speed Racer
...and here I thought I just enjoyed it all.

And I thought this was a discussion thread. What did you enjoy about the DVD?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I thought this was a discussion thread. What did you enjoy about the DVD?

I really enjoyed the DVD and thought the format actually enhanced what I was watching as opposed to taking away from it. For instance, I thought it effectively captured what life on the road is like by showing what the band sees on the road in between cities and shows and by seeing the after-effects of each show in terms of Jeff's voice, Glenn's hands, Nels's neck, etc. Plus, the brief interviews gave a nice glimpse of what the band members think about in relation to being on tour in these cities along with their nice thoughts on the other members in the band and what they bring.

I didn't need nor was expecting a full documentary on the band complete with a strong narrative thread, because this was simply a concert DVD. I also have plenty of shows and DVD project discs that satiate that need for archived full-length shows.

This DVD gave me great concert footage (I don't remember having any problems with editing or footage) and conveyed the energy of those shows very well. And the juxtaposition between the energy of the shows and the otherwise mundane nature of the time in between was equally effective in demonstrating what being in Wilco might be like.

I loved it.

As far as the lack of fans/audience in the shots, I think it's partially why the KT DVD has not been released. At least that was the explanation at the time.

when I interviewed Brendan Canty there was a point where we were discussing that ill-fated concert film of Jones' and he was about to say what he thought was the reason for them shelving it, but then caught himself and backed off of saying it.

I wouldn't have printed it or stated it here had he said what it was, but my guess is there's some other reason for it not being released than the one stated publicly.

Just watched it tonight; I really, really didn't like it, which surprised me.
So no one thinks i am being ironic, it is really kind of nice that people are being honest about their feelings.

As I reflect on this movie (which I have often recently) there are parts of it that are just downright embarrassing when it comes down to it. Okay so the follow through on some of the threads is just plain bad film making, that I can live with, particularly the lengthy discussion of the Walmartization of America. But the segment on how great each band member is, in particular the John has job security segment, is probably the low point of the movie. Good bands are always good because each member brings something to it and one would hope that the band leader respects and trusts each band member for what they bring. Being that literal about the chemistry of Wilco ultimately is shallow and unenlightening; and nothing about Wilco is uninteresting. But somehow spending that length of time on mutual admiration, rather than showing how incredibly talented each member is by demonstrating it (which frankly they do with Glenn), is just a waste of time. We could have been watching a couple more numbers or seeing how the band works through arrangements, Jeff writes songs, etc. Instead we get an embarrasing circle jerk for a band that doesn't need to convince anyone how great they are. Considering Wilco is one of the great american bands at the moment, with incredible chemistry and cast of interesting and talented members, stopping the movie to have band members say how great their bandmates are, is a waste. Either the directors made a bad decision by not cutting that footage or they really weren't sure what makes Wilco truly an interesting band.

LouieB

Guest Hollinger.

I agree with Lauren and LouieB for the most part. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching it, or watch it many many times in the future. It's just as someone who studied filmmaking for a large portion of his life, a lot of the choices made (with regards to editing and choice of shots) were perplexing. I can see how someone who isn't as critical about the technical side of film wouldn't catch or even care about a lot of the criticism, though, and don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of the DVD.

Guest Speed Racer

Seriously! Ankles and rafters is the perfect metaphor for the weaknesses of the movie! No full picture of the band or its narrative. (Did it bug the crap out of anyone else that you couldn't see Jeff's mouth for the first half of the title track? Contrary to Ryan Adams' infamous jab, the man's eyes are NOT that compelling.)

Love your criticism, Louie. The circle jerk segment bugged me too. And yes! I would have loved footage of rehearsal, shit that goes wrong on tour (a little more ice pack/soundcheck and a little less Ben Franklin wtf?!).

And it is sooooo not a standalone film for non-Wilco folks. IATTBYH, wow, you can show that to anyone and that's a goddam movie. DiG! That's a movie. This? All I could think when Jeff's kids were on stage was, "What the hell? If this were my introduction to Wilco, am I to think they're super-tiny guitar techs, someone's kids, or is this some Big Brother/Little Brother thing they do on tour?"

While I wished they included more full band shots, I really liked a lot of the close up shots that they did. They were atypical and it gave the film an unique point of view. Of course, that is also a negative because in a concert film you should be focusing on the band and not "feeling" the director in the shot.

I thought the best shot track was IATTBYH, which didn't make the DVD. The full band pans with the lights and fog was great. Reminded me of the soundstage songs from The Last Waltz.

Seriously! Ankles and rafters is the perfect metaphor for the weaknesses of the movie! No full picture of the band or its narrative. (Did it bug the crap out of anyone else that you couldn't see Jeff's mouth for the first half of the title track? Contrary to Ryan Adams' infamous jab, the man's eyes are NOT that compelling.)

Love your criticism, Louie. The circle jerk segment bugged me too. And yes! I would have loved footage of rehearsal, shit that goes wrong on tour (a little more ice pack/soundcheck and a little less Ben Franklin wtf?!).

And it is sooooo not a standalone film for non-Wilco folks. IATTBYH, wow, you can show that to anyone and that's a goddam movie. DiG! That's a movie. This? All I could think when Jeff's kids were on stage was, "What the hell? If this were my introduction to Wilco, am I to think they're super-tiny guitar techs, someone's kids, or is this some Big Brother/Little Brother thing they do on tour?"

STOP BITCHIN

You know, the Old 97's have sucked my ass ever since Rhett Miller decided to try to fill the void Leif Garrett left in pop music. Do I miss them? Kinda, but I listen to everything up through Satellite Rides regularly. Do I bitch and moan? No, because some people (at least 10) still like their output. Bands change, and tastes generally stay the same. Go explore the world; there's tons of great music for the listening.

There was a discussion going on on this thread as well Speed Racer and you basically just told me to "stop bitchin" ;)

Guest Speed Racer
There was a discussion going on on this thread as well Speed Racer and you basically just told me to "stop bitchin" ;)

You were complaining about a band that is changing; that's toothpaste you can't put back in the tube. You don't like their songs, and I'm sorry but they're not going to make another YHF (or whatever it is that drew you in). This? This is a DVD of a band I love, shot horribly. It's a poor document of a good band, IMO. You were complaining about a change to the band that is (for now) a constant, dreading a record you haven't heard; I'm reviewing a product that I have seen.

Guest Jules
You were complaining about a band that is changing; that's toothpaste you can't put back in the tube. You don't like their songs, and I'm sorry but they're not going to make another YHF (or whatever it is that drew you in). This? This is a DVD of a band I love, shot horribly. It's a poor document of a good band, IMO. You were complaining about a change to the band that is (for now) a constant, dreading a record you haven't heard; I'm reviewing a product that I have seen.

I wish you weren't so friggin convincing.

Guest Speed Racer
I wish you weren't so friggin convincing.

If my complaint about the DVD were, "I hate Nels," "I love Jay!" or "Side With the Seeds sucks my ass," then I'd be bitching, because that ground is soooo worn down. I'm complaining about the new product, in the thread about the new product.

Guest Jules
If my complaint about the DVD were, "I hate Nels," "I love Jay!" or "Side With the Seeds sucks my ass," then I'd be bitching, because that ground is soooo worn down. I'm complaining about the new product, in the thread about the new product.

Hey, I hear ya.

If you go back and read my orignal post you'll see that I never said "I hate Nels or I hate the current line-up of the band" so stop attributing everything said in that thread to me. I was just pointing out the fact that contrary to some of the dvd reviews and other things written about the band these days Wilco did just fine without Nels.

And I believe I'm entitled to post in this thread because I mentioned the DVD.

Guest Speed Racer
speedracer

of course,you don't have a clue about movies/documentaries

If you have a bone to pick with me, let me know and we can take this to email.

I don't think that partial-face shots are particular compelling, and I would rather watch dueling guitars (that is, guitars and hands and faces) than I would ankles and rafters. I'm not a record producer, but I know a good record when I hear it. I'm not a film-buff, but I know when I dislike documentaries.

Spade Cooley, who gets a closeup at 4:24, is grandfather of DBT's Mike Cooley. Spade was convicted of beating his wife to death, but had his sentence commuted by Calif. Gov. Ronald Reagan. However, Cooley died before leaving prison.

Spade Cooley, who gets a closeup at 4:24, is grandfather of DBT's Mike Cooley. Spade was convicted of beating his wife to death, but had his sentence commuted by Calif. Gov. Ronald Reagan. However, Cooley died before leaving prison.

Now that's some great trivia there, tugmoose! :lol

If you have a bone to pick with me, let me know and we can take this to email.

I don't think that partial-face shots are particular compelling, and I would rather watch dueling guitars (that is, guitars and hands and faces) than I would ankles and rafters. I'm not a record producer, but I know a good record when I hear it. I'm not a film-buff, but I know when I dislike documentaries.

YOU FAIL