YOU FAIL

Lemsky, I'm not sure what the problem is, but any more posts like this will be deleted. State an argument, make your case, contribute to the discussion all you want, but quit being an ass about it.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
There are worse things than looking like Rhett Miller or Glenn Kotche....I assume this is a rip on Glenn's long hair.

LouieB

That, combined with the Seinfeld-ish pirate shirts that Rhett latched onto circa The Believer. And there certainly are worse things to look like, but damned if they don't look separated at birth these days.

Lemsky, I'm not sure what the problem is, but any more posts like this will be deleted. State an argument, make your case, contribute to the discussion all you want, but quit being an ass about it.

:worship. You're my kind of moderator.

--Mike.

So no one thinks i am being ironic, it is really kind of nice that people are being honest about their feelings.

As I reflect on this movie (which I have often recently) there are parts of it that are just downright embarrassing when it comes down to it. Okay so the follow through on some of the threads is just plain bad film making, that I can live with, particularly the lengthy discussion of the Walmartization of America. But the segment on how great each band member is, in particular the John has job security segment, is probably the low point of the movie. Good bands are always good because each member brings something to it and one would hope that the band leader respects and trusts each band member for what they bring. Being that literal about the chemistry of Wilco ultimately is shallow and unenlightening; and nothing about Wilco is uninteresting. But somehow spending that length of time on mutual admiration, rather than showing how incredibly talented each member is by demonstrating it (which frankly they do with Glenn), is just a waste of time. We could have been watching a couple more numbers or seeing how the band works through arrangements, Jeff writes songs, etc. Instead we get an embarrasing circle jerk for a band that doesn't need to convince anyone how great they are. Considering Wilco is one of the great american bands at the moment, with incredible chemistry and cast of interesting and talented members, stopping the movie to have band members say how great their bandmates are, is a waste. Either the directors made a bad decision by not cutting that footage or they really weren't sure what makes Wilco truly an interesting band.

LouieB

I've seen the movie a couple of times now and I'm even more confused by this line of criticism. To me, the interview segments were very brief, welcome little breathers in between songs -- I barely noticed them. I mean, I listened and paid attention, but they were there and then gone, quickly, then onto the next number. "Spending that length of time on mutual admiration" -- what was it, 45 seconds, a minute? Put a timer on it, it didn't seem excessive to me at all. Also, most of the spoken word is presented via voice-over, often over shots of behind-the-scene stuff. I don't think you ever actually see a band member talk about another. For me, the voice-over technique mitigates against word fatigue and circle jerkism, because there were such interesting things to see. But I guess that's just me.

Rich

Has anyone mentioned this? Couldn't find anything in a search ...

From Nonesuch's web site ...

Blurt Declares Wilco "The Greatest American Rock 'n' Roll Band"

http://www.blurt-online.com/features/view/332/

May 05, 2009

LIKE A JET TAKING OFF WHILE ANOTHER CRASHES

The concert film Ashes of American Flags channels the spirit of Scorsese.

BY A. WATT

This is not a live performance DVD. It's too beautifully shot for that. And the way they've worked in backstage interviews and pre-show atmosphere, Ashes of American Flags (Nonesuch) is closer in spirit to Martin Scorsese's celebrated concert film, The Last Waltz, but without the sense of self-importance.

Even the way they ease into the action is artfully done, as scenes shot through a rolling tour bus window alternate with tight shots on Jeff Tweedy as he sings the melancholy title track, one of several highlights cherry-picked from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot two albums after the fact (four in the proper film, two in the extras). And they sign off with an awkward backstage meet and greet where Tweedy's father says "His music's been so much fun. It keeps me young," to which his son interjects with a devilish grin, "It's not doing a very good job."

It's a classic moment, but it's doubtful anyone will find those little moments more intriguing than the music --13 songs in the actual film and seven in the extras.

Filmmakers Brendan Canty and Christoph Green of Trixie Films, the team responsible for Tweedy's solo DVD, Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, assembled the film from five performances, including one at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium and one at Tipitina's in New Orleans, piecing the footage together in a way that flows as naturally as any Wilco concert.

Nearly every song is stunning, as much for Nels Cline's shredding virtuosity and commitment to chaos as for Tweedy's aching vocals. Highlights range from the understated title track to the spirited climax of "Shot in the Arm" and a big, raucous "Monday" complete with a horn section. But the one song guaranteed to make most viewers' jaws drop is "Via Chicago," Tweedy calmly strumming his acoustic and singing, completely unfazed by the chaos his bandmates are unleashing all around him. It sounds like a jet taking off while another one crashes.

If there's one thing I don't get, it's how some of the better performances were relegated to the extras rather than taking their place in the actual film, including an intense "At Least That's What You Said" and a version of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" that's as artfully done as the one on the album.

The other day I got an email from a publicist declaring Aerosmith the greatest American rock

Has anyone mentioned this? Couldn't find anything in a search ...

But the one song guaranteed to make most viewers' jaws drop is "Via Chicago," Tweedy calmly strumming his acoustic and singing, completely unfazed by the chaos his bandmates are unleashing all around him. It sounds like a jet taking off while another one crashes.

Nice review you found. I agree with the author's sentiments and especially the bit above. "Via Chicago" is absolutely breathtaking. Perfect musical performance capped by stunning visual portrayal.

I picked the dvd up last night at Best Buy. They didn't have it at Walmart, I wonder why. . .

Anyhow, it was not out anywhere at Best Buy. The dude said he would look in the back, and came back a few minutes later with the dvd. I wonder why they did not have any of the dvds on the rack with the rest of their music dvds?

I thought it was interesting to go from that well-worn looking place in New Orleans, to whatever venue they show in the film after that. They went from being jammed on the stage - Pat was pretty close to the drums - to a more modern looking stage.

I can see what people are saying about it being claustrophobic. But - as someone who has watched a lot of rock films where the camera does not show the guitar player when he is playing a solo, I thought the close-up deal was good for that, at least.

Also - if you cut the chemical bag off the bottom of a Polaroid photo, they will last longer. That's what my photography teacher told me back in HS, anyhow.

Those cameras are relics - the digital cameras of their time. They were designed to be quick and easy, not really meant to produce something to last in the archival sense of the word. I have some that over 15 years old, and even though they are properly stored, the photos have still faded.

I haven't been around for awhile so I am having trouble finding some good search results for my questions. I bought the DVD and would like access to the complete live show that I was reading about. Can someone point me to how I can do that? Thanks so much!!!

Also - if you cut the chemical bag off the bottom of a Polaroid photo, they will last longer. That's what my photography teacher told me back in HS, anyhow.

Those cameras are relics - the digital cameras of their time. They were designed to be quick and easy, not really meant to produce something to last in the archival sense of the word. I have some that over 15 years old, and even though they are properly stored, the photos have still faded.

I didn't know that about trimming a polaroid. Kodak originally manufactured the film for Polaroid from 1963

I haven't been around for awhile so I am having trouble finding some good search results for my questions. I bought the DVD and would like access to the complete live show that I was reading about. Can someone point me to how I can do that? Thanks so much!!!

You may have to wade through a few pages to find the answers, but somewhere in these two threads you should be able to find what you need:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=39710

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=39432

Interesting. They are kept out of the light though I take it.

Yes.

Funny thing is, they have other Polaroids (made by Polaroid) around the same time in the same album... and the Kodak instants stand out immediately b/c the color is just so vibrant. Kodak really had a superior product as far as color-fastness is concerned.

Yes.

Funny thing is, they have other Polaroids (made by Polaroid) around the same time in the same album... and the Kodak instants stand out immediately b/c the color is just so vibrant. Kodak really had a superior product as far as color-fastness is concerned.

I rather like the way colour looked on images and in films in the 1960s. Maybe Pat is going to do a book.