• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching now for the first time. My mom's comment during "Impossible Germany" solo:

"Clapton's got nothing on this guy."

I LOVE it!!! my mom said something similar when I took her to a show. Gotta make sure she gets the DVD. mom's rock!

Saw it for the first time last night and enjoyed it though I did get that sinking feeling in my stomach watching Cline's solo in Side With The Seeds....this isn't meant to start any arguments but he bores me to tears. Same with Impossible Germany.

This is the first time Wilco will have the same line-up for two consecutive albums, I'm apprehensive Wilco (The Album) will be on a par with their worst (SBS)....hope I'm proven wrong.

If the band were to absorb another change I'd love if they sacked Cline.

Same with Impossible Germany.

I only agree with you on one thing in your post (not atackin' or hatin' or anything), but I too am ho-hum about "Impossible Germany" and actually "Jesus, etc." but can appreciate both songs and understand why everyone LOVES them so. In my own defense, I am odd and have odd non-conventional favorites of just about anything.

I think Nels rocks and wouldn't want to see any other incarnation of the band!

Watching now for the first time. My mom's comment during "Impossible Germany" solo:

"Clapton's got nothing on this guy."

Clapton is god.

Clapton is

Nels is > than god.

Just running the math.

My Ashes DVD arrived today!

However, I'm not so sure that your American-DVDs are compatible with my New Zealand-DVD Player:

betamax.jpg

Who did you get yours through Mahinty?

Who did you get yours through Mahinty?

The DVD that is, not the playa.

I actually bought it this past Tuesday on official release day, but just haven't been able to watch it until tonight.

It's AMAZING and captures Jeff and the current lineup on and off stage so perfectly...it's artistic in approach, but doesn't skimp on offering a nice collection of new songs and some old favs.

Thumbs WAY up for this one.

That's all.

I actually bought it this past Tuesday on official release day, but just haven't been able to watch it until tonight.

It's AMAZING and captures Jeff and the current lineup on and off stage so perfectly...it's artistic in approach, but doesn't skimp on offering a nice collection of new songs and some old favs.

Thumbs WAY up for this one.

That's all.

New songs?

thanks for the article. i've got a question about it though: in the author says that Tweedy states in the DVD that this is the "definitive" version. i guess i missed that in the video. my favorite part of the interviews on the DVD is where Jeff says that Wilco could stand against another change in the line-up "as long as it's not John." that was so cool since John's been with him from the start; made me smile big.

...i wanna see this band without kotche :ninja

wilco's illest member is glenn kotche (along with cline),and in my opinion they can go on without john but it will be hard without mr.kotche :music

...i wanna see this band without kotche :ninja

wilco's illest member is glenn kotche (along with cline),and in my opinion they can go on without john but it will be hard without mr.kotche :music

I don't think Jeff means that they couldn't go on musically without John. I'm sure they could get another bassist to replace him, but I think he sees John as the emotional rock of the group, or just HIS personal emotional rock. Maybe the fact that they are the only original members means Jeff doesn't think he could keep making music as "Wilco" without John.

At least that's how I took his comments. And that scene in the movie always makes me smile.

Has anyone had any problems downloading the bonus content? I made the mistake of signing up for the roadcase first, and I can't get it to let me get the Ashes stuff without using a different email account. I now have access to a bunch of other stuf from previous albums, but not the DVD.

Thanks if you have any advice.

I don't know if anyone's found a work-around to simply signing up a second time using a different email address. If you don't have one, get one free from gmail or hotmail or aol or yahoo or wherever you want.

This following link will lead you to a lot more reading, but there is more information on other people's problems/solutions.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=39710

Guest Speed Racer

Just watched it tonight; I really, really didn't like it, which surprised me.

I want one of two things from a band DVD: a show, or a story. This gave me neither. I have, what, every Wilco DVD in the DVD Project, plus or minus one or two, and I like them because I consider them archives of a show, documents. And then I have "Don't Look Back," and "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," which I like because of the driving narrative. This gave me snippets of shows and anecdotes - some people are referring to them as storylines, but there's no story. I almost would have preferred if the film was about just one show: following them on the way to the show, soundcheck, the concert, after the show.

As for the "artsy" filming, I cannot figure out what the editing room must have looked like: "Hey - Handshake Drugs, the dueling guitars at the end. Should we show Glenn and John pumping out the jams, or Nels/Jeff dueling?" "Definitely Nels/Jeff!" "Great! So, should we show their guitars, their eyes, their hands, so we can see how they communicate, or should we show their ankles and the rafters of Cain's?" "Definitely rafters and ankles!" GREAT! I don't know what's wrong with Brendan Canty and Christoph Green, but I saw more damned stage lights during this DVD than I did fans.

And dude - when did Rhett Miller replace Glenn on drums?

Oddly enough - in the new issue of Rolling Stone magazine, they claim it is better than The Last Waltz.

Also - I noticed Sam Jones did the Dylan photos that are in said issue.

I saw more damned stage lights during this DVD than I did fans.

And yet the footage is often surprisingly dark. I don't want to squint to see a concert film.

As for the "artsy" filming, I cannot figure out what the editing room must have looked like: "Hey - Handshake Drugs, the dueling guitars at the end. Should we show Glenn and John pumping out the jams, or Nels/Jeff dueling?" "Definitely Nels/Jeff!" "Great! So, should we show their guitars, their eyes, their hands, so we can see how they communicate, or should we show their ankles and the rafters of Cain's?" "Definitely rafters and ankles!" GREAT! I don't know what's wrong with Brendan Canty and Christoph Green, but I saw more damned stage lights during this DVD than I did fans.

:worship

As far as the lack of fans/audience in the shots, I think it's partially why the KT DVD has not been released. At least that was the explanation at the time.