So anyone know the girl who threw her bra onstage during the 930 show in DC? She was kind of cute. PM me if you have any info. :thumbup

I enjoyed the film. I do wish during the interview portions between venues they would have at least shown who was talking. I recognize almost everyone's voice but sometimes they sound similar. And those were actually the portions I enjoyed more than anything. Hearing all the members talk about each other, the music and how it affects them or their thoughts on it.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not bothered by the lack of narratives or whatever. The thing that bothers me out of the whole movie is the steroid comment being edited into the Ryman bit when it was said at Cain's. Oh well, i'm just picking a nit i suppose.

Oh, and this gave me a reason to hook my surround sound up. :)

That's Nels saying that Jeff feels uncomfortable sometimes, or at least acts like he does.

Actually, I think he says he isn't certain Jeff is always as unsure as he acts. I'm not sure the authenticity of Jeff's discomfort was in question.

Actually, I think he says he isn't certain Jeff is always as unsure as acts. I'm not sure the authenticity of Jeff's discomfort was in question.

Yeah, that's the way I understood it.

Thanks for clarifying who was talking!

I'm late to the conversation, as usual, but here goes. I'm not a film major so my views are probably not that educated or informed. I grew up as a music fan watching concert films like The Song Remains The Same, Woodstock, The Kids Are Allright and Monterey Pop and I believe the filming and editing of Ashes is as good as all of these and better than most. Wilco's performances are incredible and for me surpass the performances on Kicking TV. So to have these performances captured on film is a wonderful deal. The audio downloads sound great as well.

As for criticism of the film, I understand the opinions of many stated here about the themes that are started and not completed. If I could have a dvd set of Wilco talking about these themes and really fleshing them out, I'd be happy. But let's be honest, the thousands of Wilco fans on this site really represent the most rabid of fans. There are many, many other Wilco fans who just like their music and have either never seen them live or have seen them once or twice and would like to relive that moment or moments. I think this film is wildly successful in filling the needs of the majority of Wilco fans. To be honest, if Jeff Tweedy talked for 20 minutes or more in this film about any of these themes, some would dub him the next Bono (btw I like U2 as well, but I understand people's distaste for Bono). In some ways I think the brief snippets of conversations works in that it gives the feel that the film is transitioning from one locale to the next. Does John talk about Wal-Mart for the entire 3 months Wilco is on tour? I certainly hope not or they would end up giving him the Jay Bennett treatment. Does Pat insist on showing everybody he meets his Polaroids at every single stop on tour? Probably not. But it is likely that these conversations come up on the bus between cities or backstage before a show. So the filmmakers give you a glimpse into the minds of Wilco's band members during this stretch on the road.

I'm not dismissing anyone's opinions or criticisms, I just know I enjoyed the film. If a longer version were released in which the topics are fully explored, I'd be on board. For now, I'm just enjoying what Ashes has to offer and counting down the days until I get to see them perform (about 56 hours to go!).

did anyone enjoy the extras more than the film itself? i did.

Yes. To be clear, I liked the movie but in general am not a big fan of concert movies which I rarely watch more than once. The audio download of the movie is stellar. I have been listening to it all week and I.M.H.O. it's even better than Kicking Televison. The sound quality is exquisite as are the versions of the songs.

... everything you said above ...

Thanks for writing this post. I agree with you totally, and I am very happy to have this video document of Wilco's current live performance. Now I have to get going with the downloads. :dancing

well I watched the movie today for the first time and have to say I'm very impressed but that may be a biased view as I'm a big fan. I have only seen Wilco 2 times (Melbourne 2007, The Spectrum Philly 2008). I moved from Australia to the states recently so now have the chance to see them more. My point is that I really enjoyed the fact that they kept the talking to a minimum as the musical portions were absolutely amazing... I would have loved a double disc or soe extra's including interviews with the band but I can't complain. I mean 20 songs and a stroll through the south states of America with Wilco is more than I could have asked for.

I have seen so many average music movies from bands like pearl jam (their last one in europe) and have been so underwhelmed because you want to taste what it's like to be at the show. This movie was 2nd best to actually being in the front row.

I loved the interview at the end with Jeff's father and Jeff signing for the fans. That was a great ending. I couldn't ask for anymore.

haven't seen the dvd yet but did catch a screening tonight here in NOLA and was generally happy to see my favorite band doing what they love best... play kick ass beautiful music. I do have some nit picky quips with the film as a whole but overall am glad that us fans get a document of a great band at their live peak (arguably). My biggest knock on the film is how they would jump around from the banter after one song to a completely different point in the set with different clothes and instruments. Anyone with any kind of eye can catch that stuff and to me it's just annoying. I also think they could have used a better closer than 'War' but that is just me. As for the dialogue and the non-continuation of stories I'd say that it was consistent throughout the whole film that there wasn't any story line, just thoughts and an overall sense of the road which wasn't anything special but also wasn't bad in my opinion. Really, I think I've just been wanting a full length concert dvd from this band and am a bit disappointed with the length of the movie (too short).

So, I can't wait to get the dvd and and download the audio tracks (hopefully get a concert as well) and to see the extra songs because really the music is highlight of the movie imho.

Thanks for writing this post. I agree with you totally, and I am very happy to have this video document of Wilco's current live performance. Now I have to get going with the downloads. :dancing

Thank you, Wendy. It's nice to know someone took the time to read my post and actually agreed with my points. Now, you most definitely need to get those audio tracks downloaded. I can't stop listening to them.

So, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this and I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I can't seem to download the 9:30 content. I see the place that says "you'll be able to", but the download is just the DVD content. Did I miss the window or...? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Actually wanting more of John talking about Walmart or Pat showing more Poloroids is not the criticism of the movie. I am just not clear what having that in the movie has to do with Wilco being on tour.

On the other hand seeing Glenn and Nels ice themselves down and the possibility of seeing Jeff get a steroid shot to help his voice....yea, now that is about being on tour.

One other somewhat jarring image is the talk about Jeff's songwriting methodogy cut to a scene of him reviewing the setlist. That made no sense either. I was expecting to see Jeff working on a song or something. I know this is all being taken as picky, because what we want and get is seeing Wilco perform, but since we have to sit through the between song footage, it would help for it to make sense.

LouieB

There are many, many other Wilco fans who just like their music and have either never seen them live or have seen them once or twice and would like to relive that moment or moments. I think this film is wildly successful in filling the needs of the majority of Wilco fans. To be honest, if Jeff Tweedy talked for 20 minutes or more in this film about any of these themes, some would dub him the next Bono

Well said.I

Actually wanting more of John talking about Walmart or Pat showing more Poloroids is not the criticism of the movie. I am just not clear what having that in the movie has to do with Wilco being on tour.

On the other hand seeing Glenn and Nels ice themselves down and the possibility of seeing Jeff get a steroid shot to help his voice....yea, now that is about being on tour.

One other somewhat jarring image is the talk about Jeff's songwriting methodogy cut to a scene of him reviewing the setlist. That made no sense either. I was expecting to see Jeff working on a song or something. I know this is all being taken as picky, because what we want and get is seeing Wilco perform, but since we have to sit through the between song footage, it would help for it to make sense.

LouieB

It clearly represents what these guys think about/talk about, etc., as they travel through the small towns of America while on tour. And I would be uncomfortable watching someone work on a song. To me, that's a pretty private moment.

i like the film a lot and the background and interviews between songs were impressive too

would have liked to have more of the interviews and behind the scenes on the bonus side of the dvd

overall, very happy with it

nice to see how they have recrafted many of their songs and how different they are now vs when originally recorded, ie via chicago

It clearly represents what these guys think about/talk about, etc., as they travel through the small towns of America while on tour. And I would be uncomfortable watching someone work on a song. To me, that's a pretty private moment.
I donno...

There is a pretty moving scene in Don't Look Back with Joan Baez singing Love is Just a Four Letter Word, while Dylan is picking away at a typewriter...

Also nearly the entire movie of Sympathy for the Devil (One plus One??) involves working out all the permutations of the song. Boring perhaps, but an incredible insight into how music is made.

LouieB

I donno...

Also nearly the entire movie of Sympathy for the Devil (One plus One??) involves working out all the permutations of the song. Boring perhaps, but an incredible insight into how music is made.

LouieB

I loved those scenes of them writing the song and wished the whole movie was like that. I got frustrated with all Godard's other stuff in between actually. It was cool how it started out as them doing a folky acoustic version and morphed into what it became. Amazing transformation.