I loved those scenes of them writing the song and wished the whole movie was like that. I got frustrated with all Godard's other stuff in between actually. It was cool how it started out as them doing a folky acoustic version and morphed into what it became. Amazing transformation.

It has been many years since I have seen this movie, but it has stuck with me ever since. The didactic political skits in between the music are somewhat irritating to be sure and a bit dated, but we have a portrait of the Stones creating one of the great songs of all times thanks to Jean Luc....

and as I recall there was some songwriting going on during IATTBYH as well......

LouieB

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so here is a total dork out moment for me, anyone else spot themselves in the DVD? i know hummingbird did, and yours truly is in one of the crowd shots during "hate it here" (my friend april is dead center plain as day in the shot, i'm to her left and get a couple glimpses, apparently singing my ass off). i thought i spotted elixer sue during "shot in the arm" but she said it was her doppleganger. and during the credits, the guy in the plaid shirt is one of mine and hummingbird's friends, we were standing right next to him, that was as the 9:30 club was emptying out.

anyone else have a 2 second flash of immortality?

All right. I like Nels in the band. I had to get used to him and there are other incarnations of the band that I like just as well, but I like him. With that said, I am tired of reading these reviews that say he's the best part of the band. He's not the best part. This band was great before him and it will be great after him. If Nels was the best part then Jeff would be in his band not the other way around. Wilco's best albums imo were made when Nels was nowhere around. No hate on Nels I just hate to hear Jeff being marginalized.

I got to catch a screening of the film at the DC Film fest today. What fun! it was great to see this on the big screen. i wish i didn't have an awful head cold with plugged up ears so i could appreciate the sound, but still exciting to see on the big screen. Brendan Canty and Cristoph Green were there for a Q&A afterwords, which was really interesting and nice to hear their perspective and thought process behind the film, how they did the sound mixing, access to the band, working with the band, etc.

SO. Normally I don't post reviews and heavy critiques of things on the board. Most of the time I don't read them either. I've read some stuff here and there in the DVD thread about the film, reviews, etc and there were a couple of things about the film that jumped out at me. I think the reason why they jumped out was because it is rather tight, well thought out, good rhythm of story, good representation of Wilco on the road. Because of that, little details stand out more that might not otherwise. Ssince the film makers were there, and answering questions, one of the things that bugged me (and bugged others) was indeed the steroids comment being sliced in during the footage of the Ryman show. Not sure why I stuck my hand up, but I politely asked if they could speak to their editing process and how they went about selecting what made it in and where it made it into the film, in particular...ehhem the steroids comment from Cain's sliced during the Ryman footage. Ooooooh. Be careful what you ask. They read the board. Well Christoph does, Brendan claims to stay away from it. They asked "how do you know these things...you're a fan...you're on the message board...you're one of them." Oh it was funny. I'll spare everyone the he said she said back and forth. It was fun. They were laughing.

They gave a nice explanation about the pacing of the film. They took the approach to edit the shows together in reverse order from when they took place, they said that gave them a lot more freedom to work through the footage and break loose from doing a long sequenced concert film. they had a lot more access to the band at the last shows (such as Cain's) compared to the first shows, but that footage didn't always work well with the pacing of the film in the strict reverse order they were following. It was really quite nice to hear their thought process behind the film and their process for editing. I don't know if I'd have stuck to the formula to have the last show first if the last show had good footage that was better suited for the pacing of the middle of the film. But only a few people know the quote is out of context (ok a few plus everyone at the film today now, sorry guys), so all in all, I like the explanation and film making process.

Well. After they answered my question and we all had some good chuckles and laughs. They said something like, "we have to say, you're message board..." i can't remember what came after that because i corrected them that i merely read and post on the board, it's not actually mine. they commented about the reviews and what people say on the board, etc. All in good fun, but it made me stop to realize how anonymous we all really are on here and you really don't know who is typing and who is behind these crazy avatars and who is lurking and reading everything we post. What made me think that? as they were commenting on the board, Christoph mentioned that someone posted a "dissertation on the typography of the cover" he recovered from the critique, but hmmmm, did he??? Talk about anonymous, that was ME. i reread it, i wouldn't call it a dissertation, it really was a typography critique and i rarely critique anything on here, so how funny that the one thing i post that is hyper critical is the one thing called out by the creator during a Q&A session to me. it made me chuckle. i was going to go up and clarify my dissertation (and give them a good laugh afterwords), but they were mobbed with folks. So i am posting it here instead, since apparently they will read it.

So to Christoph, I am sorry if my type critique was kinda harsh. I realized when you commented on that (and had no idea that it was actually me) how anonymous we all are on here. that you have no idea the type critique came from a peer, a fellow designer that has been slammed in critiques for her typography; I've been called an anal typographer on more than one occasion. In any other context it would have been taken as that, but in this one, it comes across as a bit more of an over analytical fan that has too much time on her hands. :) which is fair enough. and it really does bug me that there is a space between ashes and of and not american and flags, but that's because i stare at that sort of thing and make those very decisions every day. now I wish I had waited to chat with you guys, I think it would have been fun and funny to debate the finer points of typography and get a good laugh about how small a world it all really is.

And it was a nice reminder tonight, that you really don't know who is reading all the wacky things we put out there. there's good in that and bad.

for me, i think it is a well made film, that pays good respect to the band and did a great job capturing what the live wilco experience is like and what life on the road for the band is like. that's not easy to do in 88 minutes, especially when you have at least 10 hours of concert footage from 8 different cameras to weed through and make decisions about, not counting the band footage, sound checks, and in between. add in a small group of dedicated fans that are hyper critical and a bit overly protective, and i'd say making this film was no small task. it was well done and earns a well deserved round of applause.

I am sure both the filmakers and the band has read everything about the movie, which is why I apologized for having some criticisms in advance. By now it should be obvious that the band reads stuff here and since the filmakers are big fans of the band they are on here too. Hi guys!!!

Incidently we aren't all THAT annonymous. At one of the first Auditorium shows a number of us were standing around with Jeff and he named just about everyone correctly by screen name. The band does know many of of their fans and have followed threads here for years. Isn't that why we love the band? Because they actually give a shit. Not that the band reads this compulsively or anything, but they do stop in.

LouieB

ok, so here is a total dork out moment for me, anyone else spot themselves in the DVD? i know hummingbird did, and yours truly is in one of the crowd shots during "hate it here" (my friend april is dead center plain as day in the shot, i'm to her left and get a couple glimpses, apparently singing my ass off). i thought i spotted elixer sue during "shot in the arm" but she said it was her doppleganger. and during the credits, the guy in the plaid shirt is one of mine and hummingbird's friends, we were standing right next to him, that was as the 9:30 club was emptying out.

anyone else have a 2 second flash of immortality?

I'm a dork too ;) but I was wholly excited when I saw myself during the first two songs from Cains! In a few shots from over Jeff's shoulder while he plays, I'm right there in front next to the nice fan that I met who was all the way down from Chicago. I guess it's kind of lame but I thought it was pretty cool to see myself there. I remember watching videos on MTV, back when they used to show actual music videos, and thinking it would have been so cool to be one of the people in the crowd that was in the video...

I haven't seen it mentioned, but Oh how I wish the piano only version of She's A Jar was on the Ashes download. If you didn't catch it, it is playing while the end credits are rolling. There is also a Judee Sill song title "the Kiss" listed in the song listing in the credits, I can't remember when it is played during the film and if it is the boys covering it or not.

I'm a dork too ;) but I was wholly excited when I saw myself during the first two songs from Cains! In a few shots from over Jeff's shoulder while he plays, I'm right there in front next to the nice fan that I met who was all the way down from Chicago. I guess it's kind of lame but I thought it was pretty cool to see myself there. I remember watching videos on MTV, back when they used to show actual music videos, and thinking it would have been so cool to be one of the people in the crowd that was in the video...

I didn't make the DVD, but the back of my little brother's head did. I don't get to travel like I previously have, but I just recently got to see the Knoxville & Athens shows. Had a great time. Watched the DVD & it was great; can't wait to see it again. Does anyone know if they are going to announce more show dates for the upcoming tour to support the new album?

I like the disc. I wish all discs were produced this way - you can stack way more (less space) and the fact that they use less crap is great. I'm not much of a hippie, but I like that people are taking up using green alternatives.

thanks for the article. i've got a question about it though: in the author says that Tweedy states in the DVD that this is the "definitive" version. i guess i missed that in the video. my favorite part of the interviews on the DVD is where Jeff says that Wilco could stand against another change in the line-up "as long as it's not John." that was so cool since John's been with him from the start; made me smile big.