December 8th 1980

I was eight years old at the time, and my only memory of this is being at the mall and seeing John Lennon posters on display at the entrance to KayBee Toys. I guess that must've been a day or two after the fact.

I just remembered I have The Beatles Past Masters Vol. 2 in my desk drawer. I'll listen to it now.

I'll never forget. It was my 18th birthday and I walked (floated?) into my parents house with a head full of acid. My dad is watching football on the tube, and he sez "Son, I'm sorry, but Lennon was killed tonight". I thought that was a very cruel joke and told him so. But then I watched a minute of the tube and, sure enough, he wasn't kidding.

Words can't really express how I felt right then. Between this event and Reagan just being elected it was if my adulthood was starting from a very dark place.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie lives on in the hearts and minds of all who can just imagine. RIP John. :worship

This is one of the first "you always remember where you were..." moments of my life. After all, I'm at least 4 months older than Scott. Freshman year of college, finals week, and this rocked our world. I will never forget the cover of RS with the picture of John and Yoko after that. One of the most moving pictures I've ever seen.

The one I always identified with and still do. I was inconsolable in my bedroom as a 15 year old whose whole introverted and miserable school/teen years was only brightened by music. Coming so soon after John Bonham I was devastated. Only two years since I had left NYC to live in Ireland and I couldn't believe someone from my city could have done this.

John_Lennon1.jpg

I was in my apartment on Lawson Blvd, studying for an exam. Stayed awake most of the night listening to radio tributes and didn't do a particularly good job of the exam the next day.

I was in a used CD store on Friday and lingered over a copy of Double Fantasy. Cripes this was a tragic loss.

RIP John

I put a small post on my blog (in my sig) focusing on how he inspires us to be optimistic. Nothing ground breaking but I wanted to celebrate his spirit and tie it to where we are now.

So this is Christmas

And what have you done

Another year over

And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas

I hope you have fun

The near and the dear one

The old and the young

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Let's hope it's a good one

Without any fear

And so this is Christmas

For weak and for strong

For rich and the poor ones

The world is so wrong

And so happy Christmas

For black and for white

For yellow and red ones

Let's stop all the fight

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Without any fear

And so this is Christmas

And what have we done

Another year over

And a new one just begun

And so happy Christmas

We hope you have fun

The old and the young

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Without any fear

War is over

If you want it

War is over

Now...

So this is Christmas

And what have you done

Another year over

And a new one just begun

And so this is Christmas

I hope you have fun

The old and the young

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Without any fear

And so this is Christmas

For weak and for strong

For rich and the poor ones

The world is so wrong

And so happy Christmas

For black and for white

For yellow and red ones

Let's stop all the fight

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Without any fear

And so this is Christmas

And what have we done

Another year over

And a new one just begun

And so happy Christmas

We hope you have fun

The old and the young

A very merry Christmas

And a happy New Year

Without any fear

War is over

If you want it

War is over

Now...

My oldest daughter's school sang this tonight for their Holiday Concert. A boy spoke about John right before they performed. I have to say it was ABSOLUTELY beautiful. Actually, it brought tears to my eyes. What a great wait to celebrate his spirit and this season.

RIP

i was too young to really understand what happened or know much of anything. but i do remember my dad telling my sister and i something about music and this guy that was like no other and that there would never be another like him and someone took that away from everyone. and then my dad spent the day in his bedroom with the door closed.