MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triples hit by National League teams, 2008: 478 (29.88 per team, most: Arizona - 47, least: Chicago and Pittsburgh - 21). The average NL team hit a triple once every 5.42 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2008: 408 (29.14 per team, most: Minnesota - 49, least: Seattle - 20) The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.56 games.

Triples hit by National League teams, 2007: 505 (31.56 per team, most: Philadelphia - 41, least: St. Louis - 13). The average NL team hit a triple once every 5.13 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2007: (30.92 per team, most: 433 Detroit - 50, least: Oakland - 16). The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.24 games.

Triples hit by National League teams, 2006: 561 (35.06 per team, most: Dodgers 58 least: Pirates 17). The average NL team hit a triple once every 4.62 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2006: 391, (27.92 per team, most: Seattle 42 least: Boston 16). The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.8 games.

I'm not sure if I agree that a triple is more exciting than a homerun, but even if it is, I don't think it happens often enough more in the National League to count for much in the NL's favor, and the extremely short-term trend is bringing the leagues even closer together in triples hit.

another thing I love about the NL game is keeping score. There are NL games where my score card looks like a madding mess of drunken scribbles and names. AL games not so much.

and the pitcher's spot in line up is not a throw away out. There is bunting, taking a bunch of pitches and other stuff. It just add a twist to a game that is far more enjoyable to watch.

Triples hit by National League teams, 2008: 478 (29.88 per team, most: Arizona - 47, least: Chicago and Pittsburgh - 21). The average NL team hit a triple once every 5.42 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2008: 408 (29.14 per team, most: Minnesota - 49, least: Seattle - 20) The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.56 games.

Triples hit by National League teams, 2007: 505 (31.56 per team, most: Philadelphia - 41, least: St. Louis - 13). The average NL team hit a triple once every 5.13 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2007: (30.92 per team, most: 433 Detroit - 50, least: Oakland - 16). The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.24 games.

Triples hit by National League teams, 2006: 561 (35.06 per team, most: Dodgers 58 least: Pirates 17). The average NL team hit a triple once every 4.62 games.

Triples hit by American League teams, 2006: 391, (27.92 per team, most: Seattle 42 least: Boston 16). The average AL team hit a triple once every 5.8 games.

I'm not sure if I agree that a triple is more exciting than a homerun, but even if it is, I don't think it happens often enough more in the National League to count for much in the NL's favor, and the extremely short-term trend is bringing the leagues even closer together in triples hit.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I said that the reason the NL is more interesting to me isn't because of triples, but because of the strategy involved and, yes, the small-ball.

Both leagues are pretty durn interesting. If it came down to the choice of watching an NL game or an AL game one Saturday on TV, with no real interest in the outcome, I'd pick NL.

There once was a time when I would have picked AL solely because there were more AL parks with natural grass, but that hasn't been the case for years. Unless I'm mistaken, there are only three parks left with artificial surfaces and they're all in the AL.

Now I'd go with NL, most likely, if I had to choose -- and not necessarily because of the turf thing.

edit: And yes, I realize this is a question about watching a game on TV. I've always hated watching artifical turf games, in person or otherwise.

I'd pick an AL game over a NL game just because of the interest in how they play having a little more affect on the team I root for. Either way, I'll take a baseball game, regardless of the league, over just about any other thing on t.v. to watch and certainly to see live.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I said that the reason the NL is more interesting to me isn't because of triples, but because of the strategy involved and, yes, the small-ball.

That's fair if you like the small ball. I wasn't really making an argument in favor of the AL over the NL, was just really pointing out that the excitement of a triple wasn't really a big thing in the NL's favor. There are plenty of reasons to like one league or the other better, the frequency of the triple just isn't one of them.

FWIW, I prefer the AL, but mostly because my team plays in the AL so I have more of a rooting interest in AL games. I'm pretty happy to watch a game in either league though (or any other).

Which reminds me, the WBC is coming soon!

I'd pick an AL game over a NL game just because of the interest in how they play having a little more affect on the team I root for. Either way, I'll take a baseball game, regardless of the league, over just about any other thing on t.v. to watch and certainly to see live.

I run hot and cold on Baseball but I am really looking forward to this year for some reason. Now if I could just tell a slider from a cut fastball I would really feel like a fan.

There is something about baseball that just brings out the little kid excitement in me.

Lammy, let's take in a Rockies game this year.

I run hot and cold on Baseball but I am really looking forward to this year for some reason. Now if I could just tell a slider from a cut fastball I would really feel like a fan.

There is something about baseball that just brings out the little kid excitement in me.

Lammy, let's take in a Rockies game this year.

Moss: Give me a holler pronto. I do Opening Day each year....