MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

Griffey back to Seattle

Ken Griffey Jr. is returning to Seattle.

The future Hall of Famer informed the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday that he's returning to the city where he carved out a Hall of Fame career as a perennial All-Star in the 1990s.

Two baseball sources said that Griffey made his decision after two days of debating between Atlanta, which is close to his home in Orlando, Fla., and Seattle, where he's been a fan favorite since breaking in with the Mariners as a 19-year-old phenom in 1989.

The contract is for one year and is believed to be worth $2 million in base salary, plus incentives, The Associated Press reported.

As of late last week, it appeared a virtual certainty that Griffey would return to Seattle. But Griffey reached out to the Braves and received a warm reception from manager Bobby Cox and third baseman Chipper Jones, among others.

The Braves were hoping to sign Griffey as a platoon partner for Matt Diaz in left field, and Griffey appeared energized by the prospect of playing so close to home and spending spring training in Orlando.

But the Griffey-to-Atlanta momentum hit the skids Tuesday afternoon, when the sentimental lure of Seattle apparently began to tug at him. One person close to Griffey said he had an "agonizing'' 24 hours trying to decide between the Braves and Mariners.

Griffey is extremely close to Mariners president Chuck Armstrong and chairman Howard Lincoln from his previous tenure with Seattle from 1989 through 2000. He made the All-Star team and won a Gold Glove with the Mariners every year during the 1990s, and received a hero's welcome when he returned to the city with the Cincinnati Reds in 2007.

It's believed that the Mariners would like to continue their association with Griffey in some fashion when he retires -- although it's uncertain in what role.

Griffey is likely to spend time in left field in Seattle, where Endy Chavez is currently the starter, and could also be a DH for new manager Don Wakamatsu. He turned 39 in November, and underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in the offseason.

Jerry Crasnick covers baseball for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I have no illusions about his production,but his presence in club house will be a huge stabilizing force.

if he stay healthy, his HR will probably go up.....after all, the outfield fence configuration was built specifically for his swing...... :)

-Robert

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shhhh...there is no more clubhouse "presence" as there is a clubhouse "cancer."

In most cases,I'd agree.........but there was just stupid shit goin' on personality wise last year.....

If Griffey says, 'shut the ef up!!!' i think it'll stick in all the good ways.....

-Robert

In most cases,I'd agree.........but there was just stupid shit goin' on personality wise last year.....

I've heard/read too many baseball players say that it can make a difference to think that they are not tangible factors. I agree that his presence will help.

I'd enjoy watching Griffey moving up the alltime HR count. Go griffey!

Speaking of which: Thome is 57 or 58 away from 600.

I'd enjoy watching Griffey moving up the alltime HR count. Go griffey!

My work is 5 miles from Safeco Field ,i usually get off at 7PM. home games usually start at 7;05 or 7:35......

Guess where i'll be on many a summer evening.....;)

-Robert

I don't think anyone has ever disputed that team chemistry can make some difference. The dispute lies with the extent to which it makes a difference.

Look at the Rockies World Series run. Chemistry was a huge part of that.

Look at the Rockies World Series run. Chemistry Jesus was a huge part of that.
I don't think anyone has ever disputed that team chemistry can make some difference. The dispute lies with the extent to which it makes a difference.

Yeah just take a look at A-Rod and Bonds. Chemistry made a big difference in how they played. :shifty

Glavine to Braves is done.

In future news, Tommy Hanson pitches a perfect game against the Philadelphia Phillies. Cole Hamels shits his pants in the first inning and has to go home.

Dodgers sign Orlando Hudson. Fuck a Luis Castillo.