MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big papi is buff. has his wrist fully healed?

Between employing David Ortiz at designated hitter and Mike Lowell and Kevin Youkilis at the infield corners, the Red Sox have had a trio of reliable cornerstones in their lineup the last three years. Unfortunately for their pennant hopes in 2009, there is the very real danger that all of them will be delivering less at the plate, but to make a bad situation worse, the organization has only one possible patch available, a minor league first baseman who may not be ready until midseason, if then.

This might seem a bit of a surprise, because the combination worked very well for them in 2006 and 2007. Before 2008, Youkilis had shown that there was more to his game than a good eye at the plate, and if he wasn't a power hitter of the class you normally get at first base, he was producing numbers consistent with the first sackers the Sox have employed in the aftermath of the Mo Vaughn era. Lowell had rebounded from a career-worst season with the Marlins in 2005, re-emerging with a career best .320 average and 120 RBI in 2007 (winning himself a three-year extension in the process). Big Papi has been the heart of the club, and had batted .302/.402/.612 since coming over from the Twins in 2003.

Then two legs of this tripod showed signs of folding in 2008. Lowell underwent surgery in October after a partially torn labrum in his left hip limited the 34-year-old to .225/.286/.357 rates in the second half before he was shut down in mid-September. The resultant move of Youkilis to third base meant the Sox were forced to experience Sean Casey's second-half slump before settling on late-season acquisition Mark Kotsay for the playoffs, a decision that proved disastrous. Lowell's rehab is supposedly going well, but the combination of a severe injury and a player in his mid-30s rarely augurs heightened production. Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA forecasting system envisions him showing no more durability than he did in 2008, while projecting a further decline in offensive production, dropping to .272/.332/.442.

Lowell's not the only old-timer trying to come back from injury. Ortiz tore a tendon sheath in his left wrist in 2008, and saw his swing significantly affected. Although still productive upon his return (he hit .277/.385/.529 in 55 games), he was far from the intimidating hitter who had ranked among the top five MVP vote-getters for five years running, and after more than 50 games on the shelf, the wrist was still "clicking" on him late in the season. PECOTA projects that Ortiz will recover his health in 2009, but not his former productivity, predicting rates of .269/.375/.504, a level of production equivalent to the injury-hampered numbers from last year.

Alone of the three, Youkilis emerged from the season not only whole, but improved. For the second year in a row, the former "Greek God of Walks" cut his walk rate, eschewing ball four for a more aggressive approach at the plate. The change was small, but significant, with Youkilis swinging at more pitches and putting the ball in play earlier in the count. The result was a .312/.390/.569 breakout, Youkilis maintaining his doubles power of earlier years, but also boosting his home-run total to 29

I feel a World Series coming on...

Dude, what's the rush? Remember what Alfonso Soriano said: Cubs fans need to be patient.

And BTW, anyone going to the new Mets stadium and wanting to actually watch the game might do well to avoid this seat:

3278168786_9433376a69_o.jpg

David O'Brien has some Braves live blogging this week. Today he had Kelly Johnson and Matt Diaz. Thought this was a pretty funny answer from Matt Diaz about Derek Lowe's number:

Q: Matty D: Are you still wearing your # 23? or did Derek buy you a Harley for it?

A: Tad: I offered it to Derek for a $1000 donation to an orphanage, but he said he doesn

'Oil Can' Boyd looking for comeback at age 49

by FOXSports.com

It's been 18 years since Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd last pitched in the Major Leagues, but he figures he's still got some gas left in that tank.

"Oil Can" Boyd went 78-77 with a 4.04 ERA in his 10-year career.

The 49-year-old wants an MLB team to give him a look this spring, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

Says Boyd, "I have nothing to lose, and all a major league team has to lose is 15 minutes. Give me 15 minutes and I'll show I can still pitch. That's all I want."

And he says he's still got some pretty good stuff, claiming his fastball is in the low-90s and his changeup and curveball are as good as ever.

Boyd finished with a 78-77 career record and a 4.04 lifetime ERA over a 10-year stretch with the Red Sox, Expos and Rangers.

The report says he got serious about the comeback two weeks ago when he pitched at a Red Sox fantasy camp.

He says Satchel Paige, who pitched into his 60s, is another big reason he wants to come back.

"Satchel being my idol and knowing he didn't come into the game until he was in his early 40s, that's always been in the back of my mind."

So why now, after all these years?

"After surgery in '87, it took me 10 years to feel good," he told the Globe.

"I wasn't on the field, started gaining weight. All of a sudden, my arm has healed. The arm strength is there and it's there consistently. The more I throw, the better it feels."

After catching for him at camp, ex-Red Sox catcher Mike Stanley vouches for him, saying "He looks no different to me now than when I caught him in Texas. He still has the same passion. I don't know if he was getting to 90 because we didn't have a gun, but he still had the same stuff. The same tight slider, curve, fastball."

Apparently, Griffey & Glavine to Braves is done. Official announcements will be tomorrow because of A-Rod's press conference today. Don't want to share the limelight.

Well, I am glad to see the Mets are not the only team in the NL East basing their hopes on the superannuated.

Well, I am glad to see the Mets are not the only team in the NL East basing their hopes on the superannuated.

Yeah, I'm expecting a Phil Niekro/Hank Aaron announcement on Thursday.

Maybe the two can get in a bidding war over Oil Can.

I've got some news for A-Rod...

If the only way you can get it, is to buy it in the Dominican Republic and smuggle it into the country, it is not OVER THE COUNTER. Ridiculous. This guy is a joke.

Whoa. Wait. He said this?

Whoa. Wait. He said this?

press conference just ended.

Oh and another thing, no one beleives that a top athelete on his way to HOF, injects something into his body for THREE YEARS and doesn't know what it is or what it does or if it works. Come on.

I've got some news for A-Rod...

If the only way you can get it, is to buy it in the Dominican Republic and smuggle it into the country, it is not OVER THE COUNTER. Ridiculous. This guy is a joke.

:stunned