MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

but I still can't get over how quick you are to write off other forms of cheating.

I've never written off other forms of cheating. Not once. I continue to put forms of cheating into perspective and degree, whereas you lump-sum them.

Greenies and steroids are both chemicals that physically alter your body in a way that, according to the players that took them, helps make you a better player.

How did greenies make a player "better?" Not more alert, but physically better?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can we get a sliding scale of what's ok? It seems to me like the only one that is even any sort of a big deal to you is roids. Everything else is just 'oh, you naughty boy.'

And if it's august, and it's 95 degrees out and you are about to play a day night double header, you tell me how greenies wouldn't give you an edge. Seems pretty obvious to me.

So can we get a sliding scale of what's ok? It seems to me like the only one that is even any sort of a big deal to you is roids. Everything else is just 'oh, you naughty boy.'

You continue to ignore what I have been saying on this all along. When did I say "naughty boy" crap like you are asserting? Yeesh, man.

The sliding scale is the penalties that are doled out in relation to the offense.

For the umpteenth time: I believe there are degrees of cheating and that getting caught is punishable according to the degree of the offense. I don't know how to state it any clearer than that.

ed. And I would say using steroids is right below betting on the game/fixing games. So yes, it's higher up on the scale than corking a bat, imo.

And for the umpteenth time, spitballs were worse than steroids for all but 4 years of baseballs history so far.

The problem with this whole debate is we don't know what effect steroids have. Studies have been done on the physical effects of spitballs and corked bats, but not steroids or greenies. If steroids are responsible for bonds hitting 73, what about the pitchers he was facing? And why did alex sanchez not hit 73? And if greenies aren't going to help, why have they been arguably more of a part of baseball than steroids for a much longer time? There are far too many things we simply don't know for me to take some kind of strong stance on those who used, just like I don't think willie mays should be removed from the hall ecause he used greenies.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime?

I don't know, as I'm not sure I even understand what you are saying by stating that spitballs were worse save for a 4 year period. I maintain that spitballs were never worse than steroids.

If the punishment fits the crime, then steroids were only worse than spitballs since 2004.

I still have not seen anything but that Selig blurb stating that the Fay Vincent memo and MLB policy on banned substances was anything other than what it has been. I'm not saying that the Selig comments are invalid, but they counter everything that the public has known about policy. I also don't see it being mentioned/discussed anywhere else.

Any other links/insight on this?

And because steroids were not banned during a certain time does not diminish from the impact/negative affect they have had on the sport. I never stated that punishment alone is the litmus test.

This needs to stop. What was once an interesting conversation has devolved into LammyCat and bobbob1313 arguing back and forth and saying the same thing over and over again. Enough already! Your comments aren't gonna change anyone's mind let alone each other. It is truly pointless. This use to be my favorite thread where I could read some baseball talk with a bit of fun, now it is madding.

Come on, most teams pitchers and catchers report very soon. Which to me is great. Let's leave this talk of steroids and our opinions and let's talk about the game as it stand now. I would much rather read about why the Cubs lineup although worse then last year still will win the division and get swept in the playoffs, then this arguing.

Please for all that is holy stop.

who is this Matt Wieters guy, Catcher for BAL, im hearing about, ive read some things saying he could be a top catcher this season.

He was, I belief the top pick in the draft last year, and he's absolutely raked in the minors. He is probably ready right now, but they might keep him down. But if he keeps hitting like he has in the minors, they can't keep him down.

I still have not seen anything but that Selig blurb stating that the Fay Vincent memo and MLB policy on banned substances was anything other than what it has been. I'm not saying that the Selig comments are invalid, but they counter everything that the public has known about policy. I also don't see it being mentioned/discussed anywhere else.

Any other links/insight on this?

And because steroids were not banned during a certain time does not diminish from the impact/negative affect they have had on the sport. I never stated that punishment alone is the litmus test.

In that thing I posted with seligs quote there is also an excerpt from MLB's website that says they weren't against the rules in 98.

This needs to stop. What was once an interesting conversation has devolved into LammyCat and bobbob1313 arguing back and forth and saying the same thing over and over again. Enough already! Your comments aren't gonna change anyone's mind let alone each other. It is truly pointless. This use to be my favorite thread where I could read some baseball talk with a bit of fun, now it is madding.

Come on, most teams pitchers and catchers report very soon. Which to me is great. Let's leave this talk of steroids and our opinions and let's talk about the game as it stand now. I would much rather read about why the Cubs lineup although worse then last year still will win the division and get swept in the playoffs, then this arguing.

I'm all for talking about other things. If you have something to discuss bring it into the fold. Otherwise, not sure what the harm is. Just skip over the crap you don't like.

Ok.

Pitchers and catchers report soon. Yay!

We have now exhausted every possible discussion regarding pitchers and catchers reporting. It's the offseason, steroids are the number one thing to discuss. I posted about the Nats signing Dunn, and nobody really seemed keen on talking about that. Come up with a topic for discussion, and I'll discuss it, I just like talking about baseball.

Oh fuck, Lammy said the same thing. I have to disagree, quickly!

alright pre spring training predictions; NL Style

NL Central

1) Cubs

2) Reds

3) Cards

4) Brewers

5) Astros

6) Pirates

NL East

1) Phillies

2) Mets

3) Nats

4) Atlanta

5) Marlins

NL West

1) LA

2) D-backs

3) San Fran

4) San Diego

5) Colorado

Wildcard team Mets

So agree disagree?

NL West

1) LA

2) D-backs

3) San Fran

4) San Diego

5) Colorado

So agree disagree?

Without comment on other divisions right now, LAD take a hard hit if Manny isn't in the equation and I think SF will actually be pretty good this year, better than AZ and top of the NL West. COL will be bottom of the rung, still.

Without comment on other divisions right now, LAD take a hard hit if Manny isn't in the equation and I think SF will actually be pretty good this year, better than AZ and top of the NL West. COL will be bottom of the rung, still.

I like San Fran, especially that young pitcher they got. Though I feel he will have his sophomore slump as it were.

Does anyone think that Manny won't end up with the Dodgers for the next year?

alright pre spring training predictions; NL Style

NL Central

1) Cubs

2) Reds

3) Cards

4) Brewers

5) Astros

6) Pirates

Wildcard team Mets

So agree disagree?

This is better. I think Brewers will be our the Cubs main competition again.

Cubs will win the WS. :)

NL Central

1) Cubs

2) Brewers

3) Cards

4) Astros

5) Reds

6) Pirates

Braves and Marlins below the Nationals? Is Dunn that good? Florida is a really good team and the Braves are vastly improved from last year (they actually have pitchers that can stay on the active roster) and arguably better than the Mets. Hard division to pick. I would say any team in the NL East beside the Nats has a chance to at least get the wild card.

The Marlins have a chance to win the division, but every pitcher has to stay healthy. If one of them goes down for more than a week or two, we are finished. We should've traded Cantu or Uggla for some pitching.