Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Yeah. It still sucks though.

Yea it sort of does make more sense to BE in Memphis, but Memphis has a bunch of top drawer tourist attractions, which Cleveland doesn't (Cleveland is my old home town.) But yea, I could see the R&R Hall being on the Mississippi River bank (rather than the shore of Lake Erie). That would be pretty cool.

LouieB

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First people/groups that should be in:

Never understood how the Heartbreakers (TP) got in but the E-street band didnt.......I think after Bruce got in they changed the rules about backing bands.

Rush

Kiss

Genesis

Yes

Neil Diamond

Cars

Cat Stevens

Grand Funk

Should all be in

Second

What about New York City that would be a great place.

I just went to the Anex they have...that place is great....the technology is great and we had a great time....they have some crazy stuff.

Handwritten songs from many great including all original Bill Joel Stanger period songbook, Original Thunder Road, letter from Simon and Garfunkel camp letter to each other when they were 14.....Blondie, talking heads.

I would recommend going before they close it....only a few people there the day we went.

Never understood how the Heartbreakers (TP) got in but the E-street band didnt.......I think after Bruce got in they changed the rules about backing bands.

Isn't it that artists aren't eligible for induction until 25 years after their first release? The E St. Band wasn't credited on a Bruce Springsteen album until the Live 1975-1985 album. Released in 1986.

They should be eligible in 2011.

Jack

Rock The Hall--And The Vote

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05pm PST by Billy Altman in Stop The Presses!

They've just announced the inductions for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2009, and as always, the list of honorees includes a few no-brainers as well as a few head-scratchers.

The only boilerplate "ground rule" for eligibility in the performer's category is that it must be at least 25 years since your debut recording, and since, unlike say, a sports Hall of Fame where statistical standards can be used to assist voters in their assessments, the Rock Hall voting process is a fairly nebulous one. And I know from personal experience, since I'm among the 600 or so "music professionals" who votes.

The nominees this year, in alphabetical order were: Jeff Beck; Chic; Wanda Jackson; Little Anthony & the Imperials; Metallica; Run D.M.C; the Stooges; War; and Bobby Womack.

Of the nine, five--guitarist Beck, doo-woppers Little Anthony & the Imperials, thrashers Metallica, rappers Run D.M.C. and r'n'ber Womack--have been elected as performers, with rockabilly vocalist Jackson to be inducted in the "Early Influence" category. (Additionally, former Elvis Presley accompanists Bill Black (bass), and D.J. Fontana (drums), along with Southern soul keyboardist Spooner Oldham, are being inducted in the non-voted upon "Sideman" category).

While I'll respectfully keep my own vote private--voters pick five, in order of preference--I will say the only ones I voted for that didn't get in were punk pioneers the Stooges (and let me note that my vote was cast well before the sad news last week that their guitarist Ron Asheton had passed away). But I'm probably most satisfied that Little Anthony & the Imperials finally got in, and that Wanda Jackson is finally being, as it were, "semi"-inducted. That's because, as more time goes by and we get further and further down that 25-year rule slope, more older artists who haven't yet been duly recognized for their achievements in increasingly bygone eras will be less likely to get nominated, let alone elected. And unless the Rock Hall establishes some kind of Veteran's Committee a la the Baseball Hall of Fame, that trend may well continue.

More problematic, of course, are artists like Jeff Beck, who, like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page, has now been elected as a solo artist in addition to being inducted as a member of the seminal '60s band the Yardbirds. Plenty of precedence for this, of course: For example, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison went in as Beatles and as solos, Curtis Mayfield as a member of the Impressions and a solo, Neil Young as a Buffalo Springfielder and a solo, and (my favorite) Paul Simon as half of Simon & Garfunkel and by himself. And Eric Clapton, if I'm not mistaken, has the hall of fame record for being voted in three times (Yardbirds, Cream and solo).

Much as I think Jeff Beck is one of the greatest and most influential rock 'n' rollers of all time, it does seem to me that once a musician gets voted in, either as a part of a group or as a solo artist, that should be the end of it. I'm not holding my breath for any big rule change, though. Especially since Halls of Fame of any sort aren't exactly the kinds of places where you check your ego at the door; they're more the places you get them stamped.

I think Metallica should be in there - but there are many other metal bands that should have been in there ahead of them - Judas Priest and Iron Maiden - for example.

Metallica Speak Out About Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction

terrybezer / Communication Breakdown, News / 16/01/2009 18:51pm

After the news that Metallica would join Run DMC, Jeff Beck and others in being inducted into this year

A few years ago I went to that Music Experience museum in Seattle. That was a really fun place. I didn't have the time to really wander about but they had some really cool exhibits and interactive sections to the museum. I particularly liked all the local Pac.NW stuff they had from Hendrix to the Ventures to Alice in Chains. The Ghery building it's housed is also pretty wild.

Also, Big Star should be in the RR HOF based on influence alone.

My comment isn't as much about the rock and roll hall of fame (because that is stupid and tiresome) it is more about award shows. Why do the movies have a critically (not popular) based award show circuit, while music has only popular based awards? I mean, you watch the Academy Awards or Golden Globes and they are all non mainstream endeavours (usually). But you watch the Grammy's and it ALL mainstream. I just wish music we listen to would get the sun shined down on it without it having to be on some wierd interent blog or fanzine. As for the RnRoll HOF. that is a true joke. Jeff Beck? cmon, name one Jeff Beck song that is memorable. And I don't mean was a hit, one that you couldn't live without. He is in that Eric Clapton (ooh I can play! ) category that bores me to tears. Great you can really hammer it out on the ol guitar, now write a song that I will remember tomorrow.

As for the RnRoll HOF. that is a true joke. Jeff Beck? cmon, name one Jeff Beck song that is memorable. And I don't mean was a hit, one that you couldn't live without. He is in that Eric Clapton (ooh I can play! ) category that bores me to tears. Great you can really hammer it out on the ol guitar, now write a song that I will remember tomorrow.

Maybe you need to do some research:

Truth

Jeff Beck? cmon, name one Jeff Beck song that is memorable. And I don't mean was a hit, one that you couldn't live without. He is in that Eric Clapton (ooh I can play! ) category that bores me to tears. Great you can really hammer it out on the ol guitar, now write a song that I will remember tomorrow.

Jeff Beck has been a non-entity in my life. Sure he can play, sure people love him, but he really has not factored noticably in what I listen to.

There are a shiteload of bands that people think should be in and I waffle on them for one reason or another. And regardless of whether you like them or not, a lot of the 1970

Jeff Beck's music may not be someone's cup of tea, but he is one of the best guitar players of all time. He has said himself more than once, that his material, particularly in the early days, was lacking. But I still think those first two albums are two of the best rock/blues guitar albums ever made.

I guess we are all on different trips. I try to stay away from making negative comments these days. But - I don't much care for the idea of sticking Jethro Tull, Rush, and Yes in with Kansas, Journey, etc.

I suppose it comes down to criteria - influence, musicianship, innovation, longevity, records sold, popularity, etc. Some of those things may mean more to some than others. I suppose I most often think of innovation/musicianship.

I don't care for The Cure or most of the music made during their formative years, but I recognize the fact that they have a definite style - and should be in there.

I guess we are all on different trips. I try to stay away from making negative comments these days. But - I don't much care for the idea of sticking Jethro Tull, Rush, and Yes in with Kansas, Journey, etc.

I suppose it comes down to criteria - influence, musicianship, innovation, longevity, records sold, popularity, etc. Some of those things may mean more to some than others. I suppose I most often think of innovation/musicianship.

I agree that those bands (Journey. REO Kansas types...) probably should not be in but was just pointing out that they really are an indellible part of rock music history. If you let bands in based on those criteria then when you serioulsy get into the 1980's there is a whole slew of bands nobody wants to see in that will be hard to keep out. Ratt, Poison, Def Lepard, Rick Astley, Paula Abdul etc... So many bad roads to go down.

Kind of like saying now that Jim Rice is in the BB Hall of Fame people Like Andre Dawson, Tim Raines and ROn Santo should be shoe-ins even though they are not really hall material (IMHO)

Do you'll think G'N'R are a sure bet for 2012? Irregardless of everything that has happened post-Appetite, that album and its cultural impact should make them a no brainer for the Hall, and hopefully a full-original member reunion.

I agree that those bands (Journey. REO Kansas types...) probably should not be in but was just pointing out that they really are an indellible part of rock music history. If you let bands in based on those criteria then when you serioulsy get into the 1980's there is a whole slew of bands nobody wants to see in that will be hard to keep out. Ratt, Poison, Def Lepard, Rick Astley, Paula Abdul etc... So many bad roads to go down.

I wouldn't think any of those bands are worthy - except for Def Leppard (who I hate) - due to the fact that they have sold millions and millions of records. It's interesting - I still think the people should vote, and not guys in suits and/or so-called music critics.

I wouldn't think any of those bands are worthy - except for Def Leppard (who I hate) - due to the fact that they have sold millions and millions of records. It's interesting - I still think the people should vote, and not guys in suits and/or so-called music critics.

I don't think they are worthy either, but to accurately represent the 1980's unfortunately they have to be considered.

How about:

Tommy Bolin?

Joe Walsh?

Ritchie Blackmore?

Rry Gallagher?

Scorpions?

Dire Striats?

Alejandro Escovedo?

Los Lobos?

BTW Motorhead would be a great choice.

I hadn't even thought of Motorhead until I read that Metallica article. What an absolutely essential band. We should start out own VC Hall of Fame and figure out some sort of formula of our own. Also, since Metallica is feeling all inclusive, does this mean Mustaine will be part of the festivities. Lastly, does the Hall leave it up to bands to determine how to handle former band members who contributed greatly to the bands history? Would Vinnie Vincent get in with Kiss? Etc?

QUOTE (nodep5 @ Jan 16 2009, 03:24 PM)

Jeff Beck? cmon, name one Jeff Beck song that is memorable

Shit man, take your pick!

I Ain't Superstitious :worship

She's A Woman

Cause We've Ended As lovers

Sun Is Shining (Live JBG)

Beck's Bolero

Plynth (Water Down the Drain)

Diamond Dust

Sleepwalk

Big Block

Where Were You

Final Peace

Two Rivers

Space for the Papa

Brush with the Blues

Nadia

Do you'll think G'N'R are a sure bet for 2012? Irregardless of everything that has happened post-Appetite, that album and its cultural impact should make them a no brainer for the Hall, and hopefully a full-original member reunion.

As much as I hate Chinese Democracy, yes they will and should get in. After reading Slash's book I can pretty much guarantee you that the only member you will probably see there is Axl(well maybe Adler if he isn't in rehab); which will absolutely suck. The one thing about GNR that I didn't like was Axl. The man is a twat, but he owns the rights to the name so I'm sure he will make a big stink about it. If the other members are there it would probably be similar to when Blondie was inducted and Debbie Harry acted like she WAS Blondie and blew off the rest of the band.

This was a ridiculous year for inductees

1999 Inductees:

* Billy Joel

* Bruce Springsteen

* Curtis Mayfield

* Del Shannon

* Dusty Springfield

* Paul McCartney

* The Staple Singers

I hadn't even thought of Motorhead until I read that Metallica article. What an absolutely essential band. We should start out own VC Hall of Fame and figure out some sort of formula of our own. Also, since Metallica is feeling all inclusive, does this mean Mustaine will be part of the festivities. Lastly, does the Hall leave it up to bands to determine how to handle former band members who contributed greatly to the bands history? Would Vinnie Vincent get in with Kiss? Etc?

Doesn't everyone essentially have their own HOF...their favorite bands. Who is in or out will not change who I like or who I listen to, though sometimes it would be nice for the recognition to flow to those who truely deserved it yet did not get the recognition from the public at large.

Kiss woudl be a tough one. The original four yes, Eric Carr certainly. Bruce Kulick? Tommy Thayer? The other drummer whose name escapes me? I would bet Gene's ego would only allow him and Paul on stage for the acceptance and they woudl perform with whomever is filling the rolls of Ace and Peter at the time.