Where Were You

Final Peace

Two Rivers

Space for the Papa

Brush with the Blues

Nadia

AND....

Freeway Jam

Goin' Down (one of my favorite solos EVER)

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (one of my fave covers EVER)

Definitely Maybe

Rice Pudding

many many others.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The R&R HoF board consists of Jann Wenner and a small handful of his cronies, iirc. It's a closed panel and I'd imagine there's not tons of analytical thought that goes into the decisions. Maybe I'm wrong on that but either way the decisions are apparently based on what this small group deems worthy. Grain of salt, and all.

Since it was mentioned - I'll post this again:

Definitely Maybe

Here's a track for anyone who wants it:

Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever

Jeff Beck Group - November 1, 1967 Top Gear, BBC Maida Vale 4, London, England. The sound is not exactly perfect, but it has groove and soul for miles.

Ok - good to go now.

Since it was mentioned - I'll post this again:

Definitely Maybe

Here's a track for anyone who wants it:

Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever (FLAC)

Jeff Beck Group - November 1, 1967 Top Gear, BBC Maida Vale 4, London, England. The sound is not exactly perfect, but it has groove and soul for miles.

Thanks for that!

I'm way biased I admit. I don't trust anybody musically who does not like the Beatles and I don't trust any guitarist who does not like Jeff Beck. I think the Hall of Fame should take into account incredible musicians who may not be popular outside of certain circles. Jeff Beck did not really have the commercial appeal but it would be ridiculous to not put him in the hall. There is nobody that sounds like him and his influence is huge. Ask most people who James Jamerson is and you will probably get a blank stare, but clearly he belongs in the hall.

Personally I think Guns and Roses is way over rated and did not do enough to get in. Does anybody even listen to them anymore? When is the last time you threw on a guns and roses CD? Maybe I'm way off base because I never liked them. I think Cheap Trick had more influence and a stronger body of work.

Either way, Lammy is correct, it's kind of a joke with a small group of people deciding what gets in. It's always hard to be objective about music and art, that's why they should let VC folk pick.

How can you not let the Replacements in?

Anyways, Jeff Beck belongs in any rock and roll hall of fame regardless of criteria. And his double play statistics were good.

• 4 weeks later...
Metallica have often cited Rush as one of their influences and even thanked the band in the liner notes to their 1986 album Master of Puppets. Now it's singer/guitarist James Hetfield's turn to give Rush some love. In a recent Reuters interview Hetfield had the following to say regarding the band's induction:

... Hetfield expressed some embarrassment at being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before some acts who were an inspiration for Metallica. Metallica will be made a member of the illustrious club on April 4.

"We've been nominated and we are still alive," he said.

"It's ironic that a band that has been inspired by all of these other ones are getting in there before them. We are going to go up there and kick some ass and kick the door down for some heavy bands that have not been recognized, like Rush and Kiss." ...

I don't think they are worthy either, but to accurately represent the 1980's unfortunately they have to be considered.

How about:

Tommy Bolin? --- NO

Joe Walsh? --- Maybe

Ritchie Blackmore? --- only as a member of Deep Purple

Rry Gallagher? --- I would say yes...however; he is, at best, a cult artist

Scorpions? --- Not before Deep Purple or Judas Priest

Dire Striats? --- A real problem...I say let em in

Alejandro Escovedo? --- As much as I love Alex's music...I don't see him the the RnRHOF

Los Lobos? --- See Above

BTW Motorhead would be a great choice. --- For all the bands they inspired if nothing else

By the way...is Roy Buchannan in?

Scorpions? --- Not before Deep Purple or Judas Priest

Some people may not know how far back these bands go:

The Scorpions (1965)

Deep Purple (1968)

Judas Priest (1969)

Although - America did not really know about The Scorpions until 1979.

Some people may not know how far back these bands go:

The Scorpions (1965)

Deep Purple (1968)

Judas Priest (1969)

Although - America did not really know about The Scorpions until 1979.

Wow, can't picture The Scorps in 1965. I wonder if they did "Cups and Cakes" (I think that was the name of that Spinal tap song?)

• 1 month later...

This is a good deal:

Metallica Reuniting 'Black Album' Band For Hall Of Fame Showe

Bassist Jason Newsted returns to Metallica this weekend

March 31, 2009 08:12 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

Nobody's more surprised that Jason Newsted will be playing again with Metallica this weekend than...Jason Newsted.

Newsted was the Metallica bassist from 1986, when he replaced the late Cliff Burton, until he left the group in 2001. He tells Billboard.com that he had modest expectations for his role in the group's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction on Saturday in Cleveland. "I just planned on going, looking good in my suit, hanging out with my family, going up and getting the award, making a nice speech...," he says.

Then, last Thursday, he got a call from drummer Lars Ulrich that changed things.

"He said, 'We want you to rock with us,' " Newsted recalls. Ulrich told him that Robert Trujillo, Metallica's current bassist "'is not gonna play at all. we want you to play.' And my first question was, 'How's Robert with that? How does he feel about that? I don't want to create any kind of negative anything. I want this all to be proper.'

"(Ulrich) said, 'No, he's with it, man. He wants to be there as a fan, too, and wants to see the 'black' album (1991's 'Metallica') band'...It's all good. Everybody's agreed to it. Let's rock!' 'OK. Let's rock.' "

Prior to the Ulrich's call, however, Newsted says he had no qualms with the current version of Metallica playing at the ceremony.

"I felt strongly they should go as that band and represent Metallica," Newsted explains, "because they're strong right now, together. Those four guys in Metallica are out there knocking the shit down, standing tall, able, prowess, chops are in order...There aren't many times the Hall of Fame can induct a band that's fully capable like that."

Newsted is shipping in the amplifier rig he used during his tenure in Metallica, as well as the Sadowski five-string bass that he notes "has played more songs for Metallica than any other bass instrument in the world." The group plans a sound check/rehearsal for Friday night, then will play "something old (and) something new" on Saturday -- though both songs will be from Newsted's tenure with the band. "One louder than the next -- that's all I know," he says with a laugh.

Newsted has a full compliment of family members coming to the Hall of Fame ceremony, and he's also looking forward to "just an unbelievable family reunion" with past band, business and media associates who Metallica is flying in for the event.

"It's just a major celebration for us," says Newsted, who produced and played on the upcoming Voivod album, "Infini," which is due out in June. "I'm freakin' over the moon, man. It's another...well, the biggest feather in the cap so far, I guess. The Grammys are feathers all around the cap, but this one will be a little bigger, I have a feeling."

Also, you can now buy a replica of Jeff's 1954 Les Paul Oxblood:

Gibson.com link

Story and photos

Unless this is an April Fool's prank, it is surely interesting and a little odd.

let me know when they recognize Genesis and Yes

until then, these people can go fuck themselves

Wow, don't candy-coat it, tell us how you really feel?

Seriously, you can pooh-pooh the HOF all you want, but it is a very worthwhile tourist trap. I went a few years ago, while they had a whole floor devoted to Dylan's early days and influences. Great videos and films, including a 40-minute tribute to all the inductee -- most of the films are shown Woodstock-fashion with 3 screens. i had to be dragged out by my kids at the end of the day.