Favorite guitar tones?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trey's tone (and playing) on the studio Limb By Limb from Story of the Ghost is pretty great.

damn Moe. At your suggestion, I just put this on and got whiplash from being transported back to summer 1997. I will never forget when they started debuting this tune. Or, when I started hearing it. (I think it debuted in summer 97). Great song.

So many great tones have already been mentioned so I'll try to go a little off the beaten path:

Brian Setzer - The Dirty Boogie (whole album, not just title song)

I just recently pulled this one out and the whole album is beautifully produced and mixed. His tone just goes from sweet to nasty without ever seeming out of place.

Also came on here to give props to the RAT. Awesome pedal. The Big Muff is superb as well.

One of my favorite tones? The electric guitar part in "Guitar Town" by Steve Earle. Just sounds like a dusty highway!

Actually, Jimmy Page's guitar tone in the solo to Stairway to Heaven is nice, I think I heard it was done on a Tele.

Neil Young gets some great Acoustic guitar tones as well.

I also really like Andy Gill's tone, at least it works really well for his style.

damn Moe. At your suggestion, I just put this on and got whiplash from being transported back to summer 1997. I will never forget when they started debuting this tune. Or, when I started hearing it. (I think it debuted in summer 97). Great song.

I much prefer the studio LXL to live. I love the tight solo and the fact that trey solos over the chorus changes instead of just jamming on and on over the verse changes. That LXL might be my favorite Phish studio track. The Wedge is another great studio track. So is Billy Breathes.

How about the laser-beam intensity of Robert Fripp and his sustain pedal?

love fripp...crimson is tough to take thought.

for you guitar players out there, if you tune to his guitar craft tuning, everything you play will sound like a crimson song. pretty fun for about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned willie yet but no one can cop his tone or technique.

I would also argue that jj cale is not a one trick pony. His stuff on 5 is prob my favorite.

I've never heard anything like mascis live. ever.

I frankly love jeff's tone over the past couple of years. Such great use of different boxes and guitar volumes.

the tone in the opening "eminence front" solo is so tight.

chris whitley would have to be way up there for me--mostly live, although his work on god thing is transcendent.

Young wins the best amp award hands down.

i've alway been amzed with Ed Kuepper... through a console, he can turn his guitar into any instrument from that its meant to be, to a keyboard, to banjo.

one of his songs were recorded with him tapping a pen/screwdriver against the strings instead of strumming!

I'm surprised Eric Clapton hasn't been mentioned thus far. I think he has one of the most distinguishable guitar tones out there (for better or worse)...

I can tune into the middle of a guitar solo and know that it is Clapton immediately.

agree for the most part about crimson, but Red is absolutely listenable & fripp's guitar tone is breathtaking

other than that ...

agree on methany, knopfler and jerry

and have to add doug gillard

yeah, red, starless, and larks are the most listenable and rockin' . the 80s stuff has some good songs, but just too slick. then he decided to become just some other neoprog dude with that bombastic production with the most recent releases.

love this thread. making me check out some folks i haven't before.

i also want to add bob weir. he's no lead player, but he is the most inventive rhythm guitar player ever. i can listen to the dead and just focus on him if i want and be totally enthralled. i would say my style of rhythm/lead is mostly influenced by jerry and bob. (with many dashes of neil)

also have to second the mention of tweedy. his tone on AGIB is so warm and awesome!!

craig