Jeff Tweedy February 7, 2009 - Letters To Santa Living Room Show

Cool story here. The initial request was for Nothing Up My Sleeve (from the YHF demos). Jeff swore that he had no idea what this song was. Which resulted in some back and forth with us singing it to him, and him insisting that he has no idea what it is. So, as a consolation prize, Chris demanded a "new song" that has "never been played before" that will be on the new album. Tough crowd indeed. The debut of Deeper Down was the result.

Nice work, Chris. :)

1. I have very high standards for the music that I love, and I was not about to let Jeff off the hook easily.

2. Watch the song show up as Diver Down on the actual album.

3. The lesson, as always, is that I suck.

:thumbup

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, sweater vest! :dancing

Thanks for sharing...sounds wonderful. :wub

I do hope Jamie is doing better...poor kid. :(

I love both of the posters...what perfect designs. :thumbup

Edie - you missed Mountain Bed (MattZ). Should be after Not for the Season and before Late Greats.

Fixed :yay

It was on the list but I missed it whilst typing. Damned dyslexia!

Before I get back to work, I want to add that while we certainly did not ask for him to spend a lot of his time shooting, we were very lucky to have the incomparable Charles Harris at the show -- and he DID spend a lot of time shooting :wub

More to come I am sure.

Before I get back to work, I want to add that while we certainly did not ask for him to spend a lot of his time shooting, we were very lucky to have the incomparable Charles Harris at the show -- and he DID spend a lot of time shooting :wub

More to come I am sure.

chaslor shot? Awesome.

Also, poor Jamie (who was sick as a dog all weekend) made the cutest little charms for everybody, so we got another souvenir in addition to the posters! Thanks, Jamie!!

are there extras of these around somewhere? i had one but it's disappeared!! :(

thank you thank you thank you to everyone...wendy and edie for all your hard work to put this shindig together, warner for renting all the equipment and spending hours of prep time the day before/day of to make sure we had the best experience possible, everyone who attended and donated their money toward such a wonderful cause, and of course jeff and sue for their kindness and generosity and for giving so much of their time to make this possible!

ugh, i am in the middle of cramming for a midterm right now (didnt get as much studying done this weekend as i'd hoped... :stunned ) so i will post more thoughts and pictures soon! until then...miss you guys. thanks again for such an amazing night! :wub

I lost mine too. Had it in my pocket, but it must have fell out somewhere. I even called the hotel hoping they found it, but no luck. So I am hoping for an extra too. :worship

I can't thank you all enough for making this such an incredible night!

:lol

Yeah you'll probably hear it on the recording. Later, this also included chanting "Obama, Obama, Obama" while my wife and I were sitting on the couch with Jeff. Jeff turned to my wife and said "what?".

Edie, Edie, Edie.

Yes! The extras were left on the poster table, so I brought them home. No worries, there's plenty. Heather, I'll bring one this weekend for you!

Oh yeah - Jeff gave me a pick that says "Built by Wendy" as a thank you and told me now I have to learn to play guitar. :wub

IMG_0200.jpg

If you can't read this guitar pick, you're too damn close.

IMG_0201.jpg

Is it a guitar pick or a new kind of cold sore balm?

It was such a great evening. More Like the Moon (my request) was one of my favorite moments, but Feed of Man, Fake Plastic Trees, and Strangers were also completely awesome.

Right before a beautiful full moon, too. :music

Yes! The extras were left on the poster table, so I brought them home. No worries, there's plenty. Heather, I'll bring one this weekend for you!

Yay! :cheekkiss

I am still trying to grasp the words to describe the generosity of this entire experience...

Wow!!! I had to leave early for a gig downtown (booked by my band after this date was set), but caught the first half and the intermission and had a great conversation with Jeff about Spencer's band (which has changed names about 4 times). He said that their bass player, Henry, is a rock star in the making; so much so that he refuses to go running with Spencer because his legs might get "muscley" and he won't be able to fit into his tight jeans. I told Jeff how much I loved the outfit their guitar player, Hayden wore at the Second City auction and he told me that Hayden is "a 13-year old who wants to grow up to be a farmer" and reads books about poultry maintenance. But he has great taste in clothing.

Thanks, Edie, for making sure my song got played. Thanks, Morgan & family for the mostest hosting. :worship

Wendy, I love the pick. You have to bring it out to Barrington so you can watch Jeff use it. You suppose I can get a poster & a charm? :flirt

Wendy, is Jeff wearing a cape in that photo with you?

No, I don't think he's gonna go all Jim James on us anytime soon. :shifty

It is a t-shirt sent to Jeff from Matt Kelley of One Lucky Guitar, with a City of Fort Wayne seal/"Rock N Roll" emblem on the front. Which is why he plays dead in this photo, I think we've probably killed him with the concept by now. :lol

354407074.jpg

Wendy, I love the pick. You have to bring it out to Barrington so you can watch Jeff use it. You suppose I can get a poster & a charm? :flirt

Already done, I've got them and will deliver them to you. ;)

Looks like a fantastic night! :cheers And WHAT?! on Nothing Up My Sleeve?? That's crazy talk. Really--no recollection?! How disappointing. Ah well, it sounds like the new song was an excellent replacement. Chris, are you assembling a list of Songs Jeff Tweedy Won't Play For Me?

Jules, I see you wrestled your request back this go 'round but then you were screwed with politics instead, huh? That hurts. :yay Third time's a charm... And as for the charms, does anyone have a picture? How nice. Sorry you were feeling so sick, Jamie. And the posters are both great!