Obama on Fiscal Responsibility

Isn't that one of the platforms of the republican party?

Believe me there are guys i know who would hit that, even without being intoxicated.

Like she walked right out of a John Waters film.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the problem is our population and we need it to stop expanding.

This is obviously true, but it is an unfixable problem, so we'll have to work around it as long as possible.

In the long run I am torn on the issue of lobbyists. On one hand we all have the right to petition the government. Lobbyists fill that role for various groups. Oil, clean energy, abortion rights, right to life, automakers, unions, airlines it seems everyone has their lobbyist. It is simply them exercising the right to petition. On the other hand these people are professionals. They live, work, eat and breathe in Washington. They are there all the time. Frequently they move freely between government jobs and lobbying positions. Individual lobbyists become part of the system and in a way block out the rest of the country

GM CEO's 2008 compensation valued at $14.9 million

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Intern...how/4230444.cms

I was talking about this in an earlier thread. At what point do the shareholders revolt? Really they have little power because of the relationship between the boards and the institutional shareholders who have the real power in these companies. I know his salary was probably set a while ago before the serious issues hit, but when their parts division blew up last year the board should have acted. Now 100,000 schmoes working the line or working in offices will get the pinch applied and the CEO will probably get a high paying job elsewhere with a huge bonus foor managing the breakup of GM. Roger and Me should be re-released.

Guest Jules
Now 100,000 schmoes working the line or working in offices will get the pinch applied and the CEO will probably get a high paying job elsewhere with a huge bonus foor managing the breakup of GM. Roger and Me should be re-released.

Why don't the "schmoes" take a little responsibility as well? They also make too much money.

Why don't the "schmoes" take a little responsibility as well? They also make too much money.

What is the annual salary of an average car manufacturing schmoe I wonder? And I wonder by what factor an average schmoe

Right the shareholders are wiped out. That is a FAIR and FREE market. The shareholders deserve to pay the consequences for bad business decisions, not the tax payer. It really is black and white and that simple, but for some reason you seem to put your trust in the same people who got us here. Believe whatever you have to but these guys should be in jail and Sweden is the exact model we should be following for recovery.

Yes, and my point is that shareholders are not just hedge fund dudes with yachts and mansions. As I said, shareholders are also lots of Americans with 401k plans that invest in index funds. Indexes made up of the very financial companies that you are demanding go to zero. So understand that lots of panicked Americans who already lost half of their retirement last year, and 25% of their retirement this year, are going to lose (at a minimum, without considering collateral damage) another 10% of their retirement over night. If you think that an action like that is simply black and white, and doesn't cause more panic, and more hunkering down, and more layoffs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Notwithstanding what you say, I don't "put my trust in the same people who got us here." Certainly not blindly. I am just not as willing as you are to believe that there's a simple solution here. All solutions -- even yours -- come with much peril and uncertainty. I don't get how you can be so certain that the unknown damage from nationalizing banks is better than the unknown damage of what Obama is or isn't doing.

Sweden's economy is the size of Ohio's economy. If you think that's the "exact model we should be following for recovery" then I don't know what to tell you.

Well said. ^

As an aside, I kinda like Ray Magliozzi's idea, although I'm admittedly a Car Talk fangirl. :P

Gas is less than two bucks a gallon. There's never been a better time to do this. If we added a 50-cent national, gasoline tax right now, and gas cost $2.50 a gallon, would that be the end of the world? Hardly.

This new tax would generate between 50 and 100 billion dollars every year for the treasury. That money could be used to help rebuild our crumbling roads and bridges, and develop new technologies for more fuel-efficient cars... further decreasing demand for oil. This is a way for us to get on the wagon, and stop sending money to countries that don't like us. We could become energy independent.

The other thing that the gas tax revenue could fund is high-speed-train infrastructure between major cities. And who would build all of the new high-tech, high-speed trains we'd need? GM and Ford! We'd help them start a mass-transit division, convert some of those factories from building inefficient gas hogs to building high-speed trains.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant, my ass. Shared sacrifice.

You want to know what's wrong with this economy?

The family friend who just lost his job about a month ago, just went out and bought a motorcycle.

So not only does he not have a job, he has a payment to make on a motorcycle and I'm pretty sure his insurance will be pretty high for that.

Also, we're in Michigan and his was a manufacturing type job, so he has no job prospects right now and also has no health insurance right now for his family.

People need to quit living beyond their means!!

You want to know what's wrong with this economy?

The family friend who just lost his job about a month ago, just went out and bought a motorcycle.

So not only does he not have a job, he has a payment to make on a motorcycle and I'm pretty sure his insurance will be pretty high for that.

Also, we're in Michigan and his was a manufacturing type job, so he has no job prospects right now and also has no health insurance right now for his family.

People need to quit living beyond their means!!

Though I agree many people live beyond their means, I don