Not if they also straightened out some of Payton's runs. With the offensive line he ran behind for much of his career, he was forced to change direction a lot.

Do'h yeah. Some of those highlight reels of Sweetness -- and Barry Sanders -- picking their way or 2 yards.

I used to joke that if you removed all the times Payton did that ball placement over his head a half-yard forward after he was tackled and they spotted the ball where he put it, he'd lose about 1,000 yards. That's what made him great, he scrapped for whatever he could in a team where that made all the difference.

And for that Ditka gave Refrigerator the goal-line carry over Payton in the SB.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Mayhew had a good quote today, saying that the #1 pick isn't about playing next year, it's about playing for the franchise for 10 years. We know that Curry would be more successful than Stafford in the short term. But if Stafford became MVP for someone else in 3-4 years, then the Lions would have made a big mistake in not drafting him. Fuck - I hate this shit!

I think the Lions should pick either Curry or Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe. Or if they're really smart, which they obviously have not been in the past, they pick Curry #1 and hope that there's still a somewhat highly-lauded OT, like Michael Oher or Eben Britton still on the board. I doubt Monroe or either of the Smiths will slip past number 10. Hell, Monroe, Smith, Smith and Oher might be gone by 10.

I think Stafford will be an alright QB. Same with Sanchez. I think both could possibly be starters down the road, but I don't think either of them will ever be stars. To pick either #1 is a serious stretch to me.

I do think the Lions will pick Stafford.

I do think the Lions will pick Stafford.

I do too.

The one thing the Lions have going for them is leverage. If Stafford isn't picked 1st, there's a very good chance he'll fall out of the top 10, since a lot of teams have Sanchez rated higher, and many of the teams picking that high don't need a QB. Curry will be drafted in the top 3 - pretty much guaranteed, and he's already stated he'll take less money than the #1 got last year. Those two things are working against Stafford's bargaining position. If he doesn't work out a deal before the draft, he'll be kissing a buttboatshitload of money away.

Edit: OK, now there's a report that the Lions already have a deal set with Curry, which they're holding to Stafford's head.

Anyone know why the flock they moved the start time of the draft to 4:00 Eastern?

Anyone know why the flock they moved the start time of the draft to 4:00 Eastern?

Apparently to attract the more "casual" fan, but it bothers me as well... and I'm on the west coast!

As for Curry, I think he's wise to say he'll take less than Long did, since I actually don't see him as a lock for the top-3... Just yesterday Charlie Casserly was on NFLN saying that with the way boards are breaking down, combined with team needs and the fact that Curry doesn't project as much of a pass-rusher, there's a chance he could fall to near the bottom of the top-10, or even out altogether... though that seems highly unlikely.

I also think Stafford ends up a Lion.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
In my unprofessional opinion, you should only draft a QB in the high in the first round unless you are sure he will be your starter for the next ten years. I say go defense!

exactly. it should be "man, this kid is going to be a star" not "man, we need a quarterback and he might be the best one out there".

Curry is the correct pick. Then hope for a good OT to still be on the board. Or they could go Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe #1 and hope one of the USC linebackers is still around at 20.

i get the feeling this is going to be an interesting draft. we might get a few surprises... maybe not big surprises, but perhaps someone like Sanchez going way earlier than thought. or Andre Smith dropping way down. Or a stud like Curry or Crabtree going 8/9 instead of 1-5.

exactly. it should be "man, this kid is going to be a star" not "man, we need a quarterback and he might be the best one out there".

Curry is the correct pick. Then hope for a good OT to still be on the board. Or they could go Jason Smith/Eugene Monroe #1 and hope one of the USC linebackers is still around at 20.

i get the feeling this is going to be an interesting draft. we might get a few surprises... maybe not big surprises, but perhaps someone like Sanchez going way earlier than thought. or Andre Smith dropping way down. Or a stud like Curry or Crabtree going 8/9 instead of 1-5.

I always feel like the correct choice with the first pick in years like this (no clear-cut number one) is to trade down. The first pick is a bust half the time and you'd be better off getting something like two first rounds or a mid-first round and three seconds.

I always feel like the correct choice with the first pick in years like this (no clear-cut number one) is to trade down. The first pick is a bust half the time and you'd be better off getting something like two first rounds or a mid-first round and three seconds.

Good luck getting rid of the 1st pick. Nobody wants it.

This is the only draft I can think of where no team wants to be saddled with the 1st pick and the money that goes with it.

This is the only draft I can think of where no team wants to be saddled with the 1st pick and the money that goes with it.

2005 comes to mind, but you're right, no one's taking that Lions pick. As a Packers fan sitting at #9, I don't know that we'd even do a straight up #1-for-#9 swap.

2005 comes to mind, but you're right, no one's taking that Lions pick. As a Packers fan sitting at #9, I don't know that we'd even do a straight up #1-for-#9 swap.

I am not-so-secretly hoping we take Andre Smith. I know he might be a bit of a risk, but he is really something else when he gets on the field.

I was reading an article that the Lions would have pulled a major coup by trading the #1 pick for Cutler, and would have saved a ton of money in the process. Instead they'll be paying Stafford 4x the amount that Cutler makes, all for an unknown asset.

Guest Francis X. Hummel
I am not-so-secretly hoping we take Andre Smith. I know he might be a bit of a risk, but he is really something else when he gets on the field.

I agree. I've kind of let all the negative talk on him affect me lately, but he's definitely going to be a stud OT in the nfl. so are J Smith and Monroe.

I was reading an article that the Lions would have pulled a major coup by trading the #1 pick for Cutler, and would have saved a ton of money in the process. Instead they'll be paying Stafford 4x the amount that Cutler makes, all for an unknown asset.

Stop reminding me WINSTON!

He's among a number of guys I'd be immediately excited to see a Packer... His upside is obviously off the charts, and if Ted Thompson feels okay enough about his character to draft him (he was at Alabama's pro day), that's enough for me. Plus he could start immediately at right tackle and learn a thing or two from Clifton before taking over (Oher would be the same case).

I change my mind every hour, but right now I'm hoping for one of Raji, Smith, Oher or a trade-down... though Tyson Jackson, Orakpo, Curry, Malcolm Jenkins... any of those guys would be great adds as well.

There must be something done about the way NFL rookies salaries work. I propose this...

- A fixed, predetermined salary for picks 1 though 100 (rounds 1-3)

- Picks in the first round get bonuses

- Picks 101 on make the minimum

- All first year salary is guaranteed

- Have all rookie contract lengths be 3 years

- Contract discussion with the player can being only after the players 2nd year in the NFL

This could be completely flawed, just something I thought of while waiting forever to see a doctor today

We'll revisit this theory in four years.

2l9lh50.jpg

That was as he ran 5.28 and 5.33 40 yard times at pro day. He also did 19 reps at 225.

He's a high risk, high reward guy, but I think he'll end up being a good guard rather than a LT.

The Lions are idiots:

NEW YORK – The Detroit Lions agreed to terms with Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford on a six-year, $78 million deal that includes an NFL-record $41.7 million guaranteed, sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. The deal represents the largest amount of guaranteed money for any player – rookie or veteran – in NFL history, exceeding the $41 million guaranteed that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth received from Washington at the beginning of free agency this offseason.