Who are the 5 best live bands you've ever seen?

holy shit

nelson solo?

i saw be bop deluxe circa life in the air age and they were phenomenal ... probably top-10 live band for me

nelson played some of the most beautiful guitar solos i've ever heard ... incredible technique but had such a rare gift for melody as well

and a hell of a song writer

god bless be bop deluxe

Jealous of you seeing BB-deluxe. I didn't get into them until the band was no more.

I certainly have not kept up to date with Nelson, but he came by the El Mocombo in 82 or 83. It was a spectacular show. He was just fooling around with some drum loops, but also had a full band so there was all this extra drumming on top of his incredible playing. I seemed like this group meditation session in that he put everyone in a trace.

I got a boot of the show from someone on the dreamsville list. Of course it doesn't sound like my memory, but man, it is still fun to pull out.

Poptodd - Yes XTC on the Black Sea tour at the Rivoli. T-Heads at the police picnic with the debut of the big band. Clash 3 times - once on the London Calling tour, once at a festival and then once as total rock stars for Combat Rock. My memory ignores the last show

Think there is a VC member who saw almost all these bands earlier and in smaller venues than I.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wonder Stuff

Wow... I thought I was the only fan left. It's been years since I've heard anyone mention them. And I agree... I saw them at the Metro on their HUP tour. Absolutely brilliant... but probably just outside of my top 5.

1. Wilco

2. The Tragically Hip

3. Frank Black & the Catholics

4. Ween

4.5 The Black Crowes

5. Morphine

Wow... I thought I was the only fan left. It's been years since I've heard anyone mention them. And I agree... I saw them at the Metro on their HUP tour. Absolutely brilliant... but probably just outside of my top 5.

Nice! I went to London 10 years ago for the week of reunion shows with the full pre-breakup-band and they were unbelievably fantastic. I knew they'd be good, but I was astonished by Gilksy's drumming (RIP). They were one of the tightest bands I've ever seen. I see Miles every time he comes to the states as much as I possibly can.

Don't get me started on them because you won't get me to shut up. :lol

1. Wilco

2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

3. The Ramones

4. Rage Against the Machine at the old China Club in 1992, I think...

5. Uncle Tupelo

I saw UT twice: once pre-No Depression, and once after Anodyne was released. It was like 2 different bands.

So, when did you see them? Which UT was it?

Prince

Metallica w/Cliff

Black Crowes in a small club in central MN (1989/90?)

SRV & Double Trouble

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals (& The Cedar)

SRV & Double Trouble

Oh yeah! I saw him open for Dire Straights and it was soooooo friggin loud. Knoffler and Vaughn then went down the road to see a teenage (pre Road House) Jeff Healey. We high tailed it over and saw all three get their guitar face on. It was pretty spectacular.

I saw UT twice: once pre-No Depression, and once after Anodyne was released. It was like 2 different bands.

It was the latter version of the band. It was '93 or '94.

I went to school down at SIU and we would frequent STL to hang out and go see shows on occasion. I saw them at Mississippi Nights which is...was... a pretty cool little venue in STL on "The Landing". They were fantastic and had never heard of them until I saw them live that one time. They were fantastic. The roots of my fandom. I remember loving the show, but since I have evolved into such a big fan of Wilco over the years, I may be remembering it as better than it was... but I don't think so.

Top five consistently excellent bands I've traveled great distances for and will certainly never miss when they come through town:

My Morning Jacket

Wilco

Ryan Adams & the Cardinals

Drive-by Truckers

Pearl Jam

Where did you get to see them? Lounge Ax?

Where did you get to see them? Lounge Ax?

The first time: The Blue Note, Columbia, MO (the old location behind the high school)

Second time: The Vic, Chicago, IL

Oh yeah! I saw him open for Dire Straights and it was soooooo friggin loud. Knoffler and Vaughn then went down the road to see a teenage (pre Road House) Jeff Healey. We high tailed it over and saw all three get their guitar face on. It was pretty spectacular.

You are now on my list of the coolest people alive because of that.

Neil Young

Prince

Bruce Springsteen

Pink Floyd

Pearl Jam

I will agree with this...Except I would Add WILCO.

Page / Plant 2nd Tour....never saw so many happy people at a show....people were grinning the who night.

Elvis Costello is one of the few artists I love who I haven't gotten to see live yet. In fact, I think Lou Reed is the only other one.

If you can catch him with the Imposters, you should do it. But the Attractions are the tightest, most badass, band I have ever seen.