Who are the 5 best live bands you've ever seen?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Buddy Guy back when he was still playing clubs around town....didnt even need a ticket to get in the door.

Hell, Buddy puts on a great show now. I saw him last month at a huge venue and he was amazing. (It helped that I was in the front row.)

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i'm not much of a concert goer really, but these would be the shows i had the most fun at.

Jeff Tweedy solo - vic - january '08

Wilco - the 2 residency shows i saw feb '08

Keller Willliams and the WMDs - vic - this past september

Umphrey's McGee - April '05 - carbondale, il

Nice. I never had the chance.

I'm holding out hope that they'll decide to cash in with a reunion tour -- that'd be one reunion tour I'd pay good money to see.

Not sure that will ever happen.

Apparently there was a LOT of bad blood between Peter, Seth and Stephen. It's a damn shame that they broke up as they were hitting a popularity high point.

Not sure that will ever happen.

Apparently there was a LOT of bad blood between Peter, Seth and Stephen. It's a damn shame that they broke up as they were hitting a popularity high point.

If the Pixies can do it... :pray

Out of body experience shows:

Springsteen ~ 1978

God that was a transcendant tour. Followed him across Texas and on to Tennessee...best two weeks of my life.

7/12/78 - CONVENTION CENTRE (THEATRE), DALLAS, TX --- (this was a 1,700 seat venue...fucking awesome)

7/14/78 - MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM, SAN ANTONIO, TX

7/15/78 - COLISEUM, HOUSTON, TX

7/16/78 - MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM, NEW ORLEANS, LA

7/18/78 - MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM, JACKSON, MS

7/19//78 - ELLIS AUDITORIUM, MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

7/21/78 - AUDITORIUM, NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE

Guest Jules
Seeing your 1st concert surprised me. Based on some of your posts, I figured you were closer to my age (38 soon to be 39). 32 according to your profile.

I'm an ass beyond my years.

Warren Zevon

DEWD! I don't even know you, but I love you. :worship

Drunk behind the piano, 'roided up with a pony tail and a guitar, or riddled with the big C?

If I could go back in time to see any dead musician live in their prime, he would be my choice (sounds like another thread there)

Any standout live tunes that you remember?

God that was a transcendant tour. Followed him across Texas and on to Tennessee...best two weeks of my life.

7/12/78 - CONVENTION CENTRE (THEATRE), DALLAS, TX --- (this was a 1,700 seat venue...fucking awesome)

7/14/78 - MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM, SAN ANTONIO, TX

7/15/78 - COLISEUM, HOUSTON, TX

7/16/78 - MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM, NEW ORLEANS, LA

7/18/78 - MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM, JACKSON, MS

7/19//78 - ELLIS AUDITORIUM, MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

7/21/78 - AUDITORIUM, NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE

I saw him in Houston in December of 1978 at the Summit. (Had to check dates to be sure. I saw a whole pile of amazing bands over a 5 year stretch.)

Never was one for stats, but Christ they must have done that over the top, three+ hour show practically every night for months.

Edit: Wow.

Primus

Ooh, good one! Saw them with Ted Zeppelin opening (played nothing but Zep and Nugent covers - Crowd ate that up). The place was one giant mosh pit from the minute they started playing. One of those things where the crowd just surges around the room. One minute your in front of the stage, the next you are back by the bathroom and then back in front again. I left covered in Beer, sweat, and god knows what else but it was actually an amazing show.

Totally off the top of my head here, in no particular order:

Springsteen (in '75! Yowza.)

Wilco

Rockpile

The Ramones

Rock Plaza Central (Be still my heart!)

Just looking at that list makes me smile with the memories. Gabba gabba good stuff. :thumbup :worship

Costello at the Whiskey was flat-out amazing too. I'm sure many other contenders will occur to me later.